IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Beat place to get bottle palm seeds/or seedlings.

Coasta

Hello everyone, looking to purchase some bottle palm seeds or a  seedling. They look gorgeous growing and thought it would be fun. Any recommendations on a good place to purchase? Also thinking of putting a bigger bottle (Hyophorbe lagenicaulis) in a pot, how difficult would it be to keep it alive in arizona growing under a covered patio? 

Thanks guys and gals!

I Normally get my seeds from rare palm seeds. If you were in Canada I could easily ship to seedlings they are really neat in seedling form. Lots of red colour and grow decently fast 

• Like 1

Long drive but.... Home Depot in SoCAl has big ones for $70

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rasta Rob said:

I Normally get my seeds from rare palm seeds. If you were in Canada I could easily ship to seedlings they are really neat in seedling form. Lots of red colour and grow decently fast 

Awe I appreciate the info, I saw that website, and its good to know, that place is a good way to get the seeds. 

I know! I saw a video on the the different colors of the seedlings and thats what inspired me lol. 

I also appreciate the thought, someone here locally reach out to me and has some seedlings. :)

1 hour ago, TomJ said:

I wish I knew that! I was in california last weekend and went to moon valley but they said all the bottle palma died. :/

4 minutes ago, Coasta said:

I wish I knew that! I was in california last weekend and went to moon valley but they said all the bottle palma died. :/

^ Avoid that place like the plegue, lol.. Wayy over priced...  Many great, and fair priced palm growers across Southern CA, specifically around San Diego.. Several are owned / run by fellow Palm Talk members. ( Phill @ Jungle Music,  @Josh-O, etc, etc.. You'll likely come home with other goodies to try here too:drool::D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomJ said:

4 hours ago, Coasta said:

HD has them available locally at higher prices.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

image000000_05.jpg

image000001.jpg

• Like 4

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Floribunda has 1g seedlings at around 5 bucks. But you have to purchase $100 +shipping worth of stock.

Which is not bad.

• Like 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 5/26/2020 at 4:12 PM, aztropic said:

image000001.jpg

Yikes those are stretched!  If grown outdoors I bet the next leaves will be half that length.  Lowes had a "spring special" last year on Spindles and Bottles, their larger pots were only $35 for a single with about that size "trunk."  Walmart even sells them here in FL, which is really surprising. 

So I'm not sure where you can find some seedlings, but I can say that Bottles and Spindles work very well in pots almost indefinitely.  You'd just have to find a spot with the right amount of light to get them to grow well without torching them in the sun.  I know in FL they love full sun and hate the shade, but that might be different in AZ.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Merlyn2220 said:

Yikes those are stretched!  If grown outdoors I bet the next leaves will be half that length.  Lowes had a "spring special" last year on Spindles and Bottles, their larger pots were only $35 for a single with about that size "trunk."  Walmart even sells them here in FL, which is really surprising. 

So I'm not sure where you can find some seedlings, but I can say that Bottles and Spindles work very well in pots almost indefinitely.  You'd just have to find a spot with the right amount of light to get them to grow well without torching them in the sun.  I know in FL they love full sun and hate the shade, but that might be different in AZ.

Thats amazing! I am hoping a bigger one does well on my patio. 

Also I purchased 3 seedlings off az tropic.  Can't wait to see them grow! Going to pot them up this weekend!! Thanks Aztropic!!! 

15906193069508499577196978288289.jpg

• Like 2

Get 'em into 1 gallon or larger size pots,and you'll be amazed at how quickly this species grows! :)

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15906779424387151225634285493667.jpg

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Thanks Aztropic! I can't wait until the weekend to get them going.  I am excited to see them grow!

On 5/26/2020 at 1:12 PM, aztropic said:

HD has them available locally at higher prices.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

image000000_05.jpg

image000001.jpg

Love the "No direct sun" on the sign.  Here as much sun as you can...

• Like 1

No.Best put in a nice ceramic pot on a covered patio in Arizona.If you can provide complete protection from our extreme western afternoon sun,they can be grown outdoors in the ground.Here is mine,grown from a 3 gallon size,picked up at HD.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15906852108286414904998419327596.jpg

• Like 3

Mesa, Arizona

I'd personally recommend the Spindle Palm (Hyophorbe verschafeltii) over the Bottle Palm.  The latter take a really bad winter hit with our colder weather.

The Spindles do better with our weather and are just as cool.

PHil

• Like 2

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

4 hours ago, Phil said:

I'd personally recommend the Spindle Palm (Hyophorbe verschafeltii) over the Bottle Palm.  The latter take a really bad winter hit with our colder weather.

The Spindles do better with our weather and are just as cool.

PHil

Thanks Phil! I have one of those in mind to purchase too :). I may end up putting a spindle in the ground when the time comes. :)