IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pal Meir

During last winter one of my four L itapebiense dried out for an unknown reason beginning from the newest inner leaves and spreading to the older ones. The root system was very strong and healthy and did not show any sign of rotting. :crying:

107316927_N16022020-04-27P1050446.thumb.jpg.ef332a2e4427f8ee132e397f26985116.jpg

735400937_N16022020-04-27P1050448.thumb.jpg.731c54d04da33959304fca66b968a2f0.jpg

1306191235_N16022020-05-25P1050458.thumb.jpg.4e085b36078c33e02ca1a2b7dbff7e4b.jpg

Here one of the last photos when it was still very healthy (2nd palm from left):

547409469_N1601-042020-01-14IMG_9702.thumb.jpg.0ecc4b4f2a598182c467248cc7a286f4.jpg

• Like 2

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Cold + water seems to be fatal for Lytocaryum , I lost my biggest Lytocaryum itapebiensis and Lyticaryum insigne in winter.

• Like 1

Caixeta

32 minutes ago, caixeta said:

Cold + water seems to be fatal for Lytocaryum , I lost my biggest Lytocaryum itapebiensis and Lyticaryum insigne in winter.

That is the reason why I am normally using pots which are rather too small, but this time I planted all four L itapebiense in quite (relatively) large containers. Maybe that palm N°1602 was exposed to too low temps in wet soil so that it did not grow any more since February 16th when it was exposing the tip of its 13th leaf.

• Like 1

I had almost lost my L weddellianum N°1308 for the same (?) reason. Here my notes from January 5th:
»As N°1308 was in a position on the balcony where it was directly exposed to rain during temps near 0°C it has lost so many fronds last December. The rule for Lyto wedd is: When hot keep it wet, when cold keep it dry. Hot & dry or cold & wet will kill these palms. «
It had lost eight fronds then; at present it is growing very small or crumpled new fronds out of the meristem.

• Like 1

Es tut mir sehr leid, mein Freund.

The unexplainable happens at times. 

If anyone knows how to grow palms, it is you.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

13 hours ago, Pal Meir said:

Quase perdi meu L weddellianum N ° 1308 pela mesma razão (?). Aqui estão minhas anotações de 5 de janeiro:
»Como o N ° 1308 estava em uma posição na varanda, onde foi diretamente exposto à chuva durante temperaturas próximas a 0 ° C, perdeu tantas folhas em dezembro passado. A regra para o Lyto wedd é: Quando quente, mantenha-o molhado, quando frio, mantenha-o seco. Quente e seco ou frio e úmido matam essas palmas. «
Perdeu oito folhas então; no momento, está gerando novas folhas muito pequenas ou amassadas do meristema.

:greenthumb:

Caixeta

Mate, it is sad and confusing when this happens, but you can't win them all. I would put it down to a normal natural variation or uncommon pathogen. 100% survival in nature is not usual. If your survival rate is high, I would be happy with that. As you said the roots look good and if it had sufficient water, light, environment and nutrient judging from it's neighbours then there was nothing more that you could do. 

Mate, there are few people here who could give you any advice that you would not already have considered, but most of us know how you would feel.  :( 

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

I am sorry to hear this. I have been using your soil recipe for the last 2 years and I am able to keep alive very tropical palms. 

My humble opinion for this lost is cold exposure.