IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Does this ever happen to your trunks? (Adonidia)

PalmX

I ordered this online and when I got it the mulch was sitting about 1-2 inches higher. I noticed this dark spot that looked wet so I removed some of the mulch. The spot seemed to dry up yesterday, but then this morning it was back and looked bigger so I took off more mulch. Waiting for some materials to repot soon.

Just curious if this is normal or should be of concern?

Thanks!

xptAKEU.jpg

Edited by PalmX

I should also note that I have not watered this palm since receiving it and it has not rained.  It's definitely root bound so I can't imagine too much water is in it's little pot from before the nursery shipped it.

Freeze damage??

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

56 minutes ago, JLM said:

Freeze damage??

Seems unlikely... came from Miami to Atlanta overnight UPS last week.

• Like 1

Where those “nubs” are coming out of the trunk are the roots. It’s the root initiation zone. Plant it level just above those nubs. The dark wet spot on the trunk is likely from wet material and planting too deep in the pot. Is t mushy? It should be just fine. 

Edited by AZPalms
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AZPalms said:

Where those “nubs” are coming out of the trunk are the roots. It’s the root initiation zone. Plant it level just above those nubs. The dark wet spot on the trunk is likely from wet material and planting too deep in the pot. Is t mushy? It should be just fine. 

Hey thanks. It's not mushy. I put a small fan on it and it dried out.

So the nubs should be just above the soil line? They had them packed under 1-2 inches of mulch. Probably just to retain moisture for shipping, because the actual soil line is closer to the top of the nursery pot, and lots of those nubs are showing.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:44 PM, PalmX said:

Hey thanks. It's not mushy. I put a small fan on it and it dried out.

So the nubs should be just above the soil line? They had them packed under 1-2 inches of mulch. Probably just to retain moisture for shipping, because the actual soil line is closer to the top of the nursery pot, and lots of those nubs are showing.

plant it deep enough to barely cover the roots

Just in case that is bacterial rot, I would not cover that with soil yet.

Put it in a larger pot but leave the existing soil level exposed.  You can plant it lower in the pot and add soil later.  FERTILIZE!  Get some Nutricote/Florikan 8-2-12.   Water it from the base, ie. submerge the pot in a tub or something but keep the trunk area dry.  Or set the pot in a tray that you can fill with water and let the soil and roots soak it up.  Any water left after a day or so should be removed.

If roots start popping out of that dark area you can gradually cover them with decorative stone orlarge bark chips and eventually soil.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

2 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Just in case that is bacterial rot, I would not cover that with soil yet.

Put it in a larger pot but leave the existing soil level exposed.  You can plant it lower in the pot and add soil later.  FERTILIZE!  Get some Nutricote/Florikan 8-2-12.   Water it from the base, ie. submerge the pot in a tub or something but keep the trunk area dry.  Or set the pot in a tray that you can fill with water and let the soil and roots soak it up.  Any water left after a day or so should be removed.

If roots start popping out of that dark area you can gradually cover them with decorative stone orlarge bark chips and eventually soil.

Thanks, is there any way to tell if it isn't rot?

Would spraying it with copper fungicide be beneficial? 

Copper might help.  Try hydrogen peroxide if you can find any.  If it is bacterial it will stink and be mushy.  Mushy is a technical term.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

10 hours ago, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

Copper might help.  Try hydrogen peroxide if you can find any.  If it is bacterial it will stink and be mushy.  Mushy is a technical term.

Wasn't mushy and doesn't smell. I will try the hydrogen peroxide once it dries up.. been rainy here lately.

It does seem to dry up on its own so it might have been the mulch keeping the trunk wet.

Edited by PalmX