IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Palms of the World"

I went to  an old book store in New Jersey and found "Palms of the World" by Mccurrach for 9 bucks.

Printed in 1960

Harper & Brothers, New York

Was that a find?

Ania

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

"God in his wisdom made the fly

And then forgot to tell us why"

-Ogden Nash

I'm curious Ania, how many Dypsis are listed?  :)

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Ania,

You basically stole the book.  It's a great historical reference that I refer to often.  Now, you need a copy of the "Supplement To Palms of The World" by Langlois.  

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ania,

Yes, that was your lucky day!!! That was a great find, especially for $9. Please. I own both this one and the next one that came out a few years later. Nice to hear about your find!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ania - I also have both those books altho I seldom look at them anymore - they are just so outdated and full of errors.  I do have a typed 11-page copy titled "ERRORS OF FACT OR INTERPRETATION IN PALMS OF THE WORLD by McCURRACH".  For reference it's great but otherwise . . .  You did get a real bargain there, however.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

(Dypsisdean @ Jul. 09 2007,00:59)

I'm curious Ania, how many Dypsis are listed?  :)

Dean:

I just looke at the Dypsis chapter in that book. He says that most of the palms cultivated in the USA under the name of "Dypsis" are properly "Crysalidocarpus".

Now I am confused. I have never heard of it. Did they ultimately classify it as Dypsis?

Maybe the book will just confuse me more.

I googled the name and I found "Crysalidocarpus lutescens". Now, it MUST be Dypsis lutescens now, right?

No other Dypsis are mentined in the chapter, just a general information about "a many-specied genus of pinnate palms, native to Madagascar.

Ania

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

-Ogden Nash

(Al in Kona @ Jul. 09 2007,18:30)

Ania - I also have both those books altho I seldom look at them anymore - they are just so outdated and full of errors.  I do have a typed 11-page copy titled "ERRORS OF FACT OR INTERPRETATION IN PALMS OF THE WORLD by McCURRACH".  For reference it's great but otherwise . . .  You did get a real bargain there, however.

Al:

Yes, I know the book is outdated, but it has a nice feel to it. Some of the pictures are beautiful. The cover, with those two palm inset is very nice.

I would love to get a hold of the 11-page copy for the reference, and to avoid further confusion.

My best,

Ania

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

-Ogden Nash

Ania,

That is why I asked the question, to illustrate how different things were then. That's the first book I ever bought. I studied it from cover to cover and then over the next 25 years had to forget a lot of it. In the 45 years since that book, we went from no Dypsis to quite a few.  :)

Maybe we should start a thread "You know you're a gray haired palm grower if you ....................................'

1) know what a Seaforthia is

2) know what a Cocos plumosa is

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I still have both of those books too. I think that they are classics, even if there are errors and a lot of outdated info in them. I drag them out every now and again for a good laugh!

I remember when they were the 'bibles' for palm ID, plus Principes of course!

In Oz, Ravenea rivularis is called 'Majestic Palm' and that, I'm sure, came directly from the photo caption in the supplement to palms of the world.

Some of the photos in these books are beautiful..it would be nice to have clear versions of them even today, and in colour too, but unfortunately the books were not made to high standards back then.

My POTW has a very dark green cover, and I've also seen a different revision with a dark olive-green colour too.

What revision and colour is yours?

Daryl.

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

(Daryl @ Jul. 10 2007,08:54)

What revision and colour is yours?

Daryl.

Hi Daryl,

The book's cover is a bit run down and faded. It is brown. There is a golden stripe at the bottom of the book. In the lower right corner, there is an inset with two palms, which is very pleasing.

It says nothing about  a reprint.

My other copy of that book is 1970 reprint by Horticultural Books. Inc. (Stuart, Florida).

I couldn't resist spending just 9 bucks on another copy.

Ania

Ania

Houston, TX

zone 9a

-Ogden Nash

Dean, I've got 2 nice Seaforthia elegans and a big Cocos plumosa in my backyard, and I'm growing seedlings of both in containers like they're going out of style.  I'd go out and take a picture for you, but my Rascal Scooter's battery is still charging right now...  I'm hoping that they come back in style, once everyone gets tired of kings and queens.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

(gavilan1 @ Jul. 16 2007,16:56)

Dean, I've got 2 nice Seaforthia elegans and a big Cocos plumosa in my backyard, and I'm growing seedlings of both in containers like they're going out of style.  I'd go out and take a picture for you, but my Rascal Scooter's battery is still charging right now...  I'm hoping that they come back in style, once everyone gets tired of kings and queens.

Seaforthia, probably my fav palm whilst Cocos plumosa, my least fav, how about that.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ah, the world is truly in balance, Wal... :;):

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)