PalmatierMeg

2020 Rainy Season starts May 22 @ 6 p.m.

PalmatierMeg

Rainy season in central Cape Coral, FL, commenced Friday, May 22 at 6 p.m. with rumbling thunder and the Whoosh! of a gullywasher that dropped 2" of rain in less than an hour on our parched 0.61 acre of Paradise. That is the most rain I've seen in the past 6 months as we've been in an extended drought. We have 80% chance of rain this coming week.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr
1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Rainy season in central Cape Coral, FL, commenced Friday, May 22 at 6 p.m. with rumbling thunder and the Whoosh! of a gullywasher that dropped 2" of rain in less than an hour on our parched 0.61 acre of Paradise. That is the most rain I've seen in the past 6 months as we've been in an extended drought. We have 80% chance of rain this coming week.

I was hoping we'd get an early start here, but unfortunately most of the precipitation landed elsewhere.  It looks like we have a few days of solid rain chances coming up from Memorial Day going forward though.

202005231935_LakelandWeather.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

RedRabbit

We still haven’t had a measurable amount of rain here. Hopefully that changes tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

kinzyjr

@RedRabbit We finally had enough rainfall to do more than mist the grass or make some of the soil bead up.  Hope you got some meaningful precipitation over your way.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

RedRabbit
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@RedRabbit We finally had enough rainfall to do more than mist the grass or make some of the soil bead up.  Hope you got some meaningful precipitation over your way.

Yes sir, 0.2 well appreciated inches. Glad you got some rain too. :):greenthumb:

• Upvote 3

GottmitAlex
On 5/23/2020 at 3:11 PM, PalmatierMeg said:

That is excellent news @PalmatierMeg!

I suspect your temperature readings have been about average?

I ask because temps or not, rain is a Godsend.

• Upvote 1

JLM

These popcorn storms up here have missed me every single day just about this week. We did get a very brief 10 second tropical downpour yesterday, but it only wet the grass. As of now we are in a level 2 drought but i expect it to go down tomorrow! GFS is showing something tropical coming out of the carribean, maybe yall can get some rain from it as it either passes over you or passes by you around the June 10th timeframe, dont get your hopes up though!

• Upvote 2

kinzyjr

@JLM That has been happening a lot down here as well.  The east side of town got a deluge, we had sun and a breeze with thunder... go figure.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

JLM

Today here we had dark skies as severe storms rumbled to the northeast. No rain besides a 2 second downpour, would have taken another 10 second downpour. It like James Spann (Birmingham, AL Meteorologist) says, he gets all kinds of people asking why the storms split or went around them, then the next day they get a storm that sits over top of them all day and they have flash flooding. It really is luck with these things and is super hit or miss. It could be flooding in Pensacola but Pensacola Beach is left bone-dry.

• Upvote 1

NOT A TA

Gotten over a foot here in the past week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

palmsOrl

We have picked up some rain in my two locations over the past week, but nothing too dramatic.  Keep it coming, the more the better.

• Like 1

RedRabbit
On 5/25/2020 at 9:04 PM, RedRabbit said:

Yes sir, 0.2 well appreciated inches. Glad you got some rain too. :):greenthumb:

This is all we’ve managed to get, just those 0.2’’. It’s been surprising to have a high chance of rain each day and consistently miss it.

@kinzyjr, did you wind up getting any more?

Edited by RedRabbit

PalmatierMeg

Well, it's a week later and everything is shriveling up. We have daily rain clouds all around us, rain falling mere blocks away but not a drop here. And because of drought I'm allowed to irrigate only one day per week instead of two. I had to hand water my container garden this morning.

• Upvote 2

kinzyjr
1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

This is all we’ve managed to get, just those 0.2’’. It’s been surprising to have a high chance of rain each day and consistently miss it.

@kinzyjr, did you wind up getting any more?

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Well, it's a week later and everything is shriveling up. We have daily rain clouds all around us, rain falling mere blocks away but not a drop here. And because of drought I'm allowed to irrigate only one day per week instead of two. I had to hand water my container garden this morning.

Similar experiences to both of you.  We had one decent storm a few days ago, but have been consistently seeing 80%-100% of rain in the forecast with nothing but a few droplets falling the last few days.  By the time you get to the Combee area, it's a veritable monsoon with 40MPH winds.  Guess it's a good thing I have a lot of Phoenix and other desert/semi-arid palms.  The cloudy, overcast and windy days have made desodding an area a lot more comfortable than normal, so I'll count my blessings at this point.   80% chance today, so I'll cross my fingers.

202005301245_LakelandWeather.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hombre de Palmas

We had 7.5 inches of rain last week and now everything is finally beginning to look like rainy season. We had a relentlessly dry February and March with less than an inch of rain in 9 weeks.

April rains started slowly, and early May was no bargain, but the last couple weeks have been good to us, and we ended May with 9.5 inches.

I fertilized everything over the weekend, as we have entered the fertilizer blackout period, so now I can watch everything grow while enjoying a cold beer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Well, all bloody !#$%^& broke loose yesterday evening. We got a gullywasher that dumped 6+" of rain in a few hours. The rain gauge overflowed at 6".

About an hour ago, all bloody !#$%^& broke loose again. We are in the midst of a another gullywasher with more rain on the way.

Feast or Famine. Florida, love it or leave it - no middle ground.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

kinzyjr

@PalmatierMeg Send some up to desert between here and Tampa.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg
1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

@PalmatierMeg Send some up to desert between here and Tampa.

It's coming from the south so maybe it's on its way. Got another 2"+ as of 5:15 p.m.

• Upvote 1

Palmaceae

Started here in St. Pete a couple hours ago lightly, but now starting to come down hard, .40" so far.

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
23 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

It's coming from the south so maybe it's on its way. Got another 2"+ as of 5:15 p.m.

Not sure how much total we got, but we did have a solid downpour for the better part of an hour.  It was certainly needed.

JLM

This was likely associated with Cristobal's eastern band. The band was eventually cut off by dry air. Hopefully it gave everyone a share of much needed rain!! My drought level went from a level 2 to a 0!

• Like 1