Sign in to follow this  
joe_OC

Syagrus amara in coastal SoCal?

joe_OC

I was lucky enough to come across a Syagrus amara.  Who has this palm in SoCal?  What are you suggestions for growing conditions?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Josue Diaz

I have a seed grown amara. Germinated in 2018, and in a 15 gal container. Can't offer much at this point, except it seemed fine down to the low 30s in Fresno under canopy. it's watered every day and is in a high-peat soil mix. I've fed it regularly since March with a 20-20-20 water-soluble fertilizer. 

LJG

You have good taste in palms Joe. Here is mine from a 7 gallon planted in 2008. It is not a cold-hardly Syagrus and will yellow and brown spot in winter the way a Foxtail will. It develops a large base over time as seen in second pic. 

C45ABB7B-34FA-4165-9965-87057376F2A9.jpeg

CA2E0F87-0BCE-4DF1-B727-E3D118038E87.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

joe_OC
42 minutes ago, LJG said:

You have good taste in palms Joe. Here is mine from a 7 gallon planted in 2008. It is not a cold-hardly Syagrus and will yellow and brown spot in winter the way a Foxtail will. It develops a large base over time as seen in second pic. 

C45ABB7B-34FA-4165-9965-87057376F2A9.jpeg

CA2E0F87-0BCE-4DF1-B727-E3D118038E87.jpeg

Thanks, Len.  I was surprised to find it.  Hoping it will grow well for me.

James B

I find this to be more attractive than the common queen palm. How rare are they? The seeds are huge from what I understand. Are the seeds edible? 

Fusca
37 minutes ago, James B said:

I find this to be more attractive than the common queen palm. How rare are they? The seeds are huge from what I understand. Are the seeds edible? 

I saw one at Fairchild that was quite large and similar in appearance to the queen palm but I agree more attractive.  Seeds/fruits are huge and also similar in appearance to queen fruit which are edible so I would assume they are but may not be as tasty.