IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Myrtle Beach qualified for Zone 9B almost the last two years

Palmlover32

On 6/21/2020 at 4:02 AM, Mr.SamuraiSword said:

Wow, is that another queen in the first and third photos by the building side? great shots and good news. If you want any more tips on big CIDP i have a list of streetviews lol

That is my friend's house, there are two queens & two Acrocomia Totai's in the yard plus some mules, dates & a bunch of other things including a huge avacodo he grew from seed over two stories tall. I'll have to stop by soon & get some updated photo's.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Laaz said:

That is my friend's house, there are two queens & two Acrocomia Totai's in the yard plus some mules, dates & a bunch of other things including a huge avacodo he grew from seed over two stories tall. I'll have to stop by soon & get some updated photo's.

That's amazing man

22 hours ago, Laaz said:

A queen is going to be very tough to keep alive in MB... Hidden Ponds? Isn't that on coastal 17 in Awendaw? Used to be the site of Kicking Horse Saloon.... Saw some great shows there back in the day.

Yea I know but I can't help but to give it a shot. 

Yea, that's the one. Really nice nursery. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/23/2020 at 1:28 PM, Palmlover32 said:

So even though we are the farthest north zone 8B not on the west coast, as 8b stretches all the way down to Pensacola and northern Jacksonville FL, and only up to Myrtle Beach on the very coastal areas of South Carolina. 

But I have lived here for 6 years now, and also went through all the data. The past 2 years we have qualified as 9B! Never went under 25. Well, it hit 24 once, but both were only one night a year. Hit 25 in 2020, and 24 once in 2019. Those were the lowest temps. Also true for the very rare 8b nights where we actually have gone down to about 15 degrees. It’s literally only one or two nights a year. Average winter low is 38 or so, and it only went 32 or below 9 times last winter, and 19 times the winter before that. And it is up to 33 nights a year at or below 32 at most, never under 15 one night a year, but lately more like never lower than 24 or 25. 

So I know I can’t grow coconuts here, but I was wondering about the possibility of having an M. Speciosa in a pot for a year or two until it gets pretty big, and then putting it outside with some mulch? I also was curious about Pygmy date palm (which I dod buy one and I have seen them surviving around here more than once), then working my way to queen palm, then Christmas Palm, and then Alexander palm. I thought no way in hell for Alexander, but then I saw a review on Amazon saying somebody in SC bought one and it was surviving the fall and winter and even growing. It regularly gets over 70 degrees during the day, all winter. Over 57 90% of the time, and a few days each winter in the 40s. Never saw it drop below freezing during the day once in the past 6 years I have lived here. 

So I’m wondering the chance of any of these palms to survive with some winter preparation on the one or two tough nights a year that may or may not go below 25 degrees! I guess you could say I’m willing to experiment. Most people only plant Palmettos, Butia, Phoenix Mediterranean palms, windmill, and Sago around here. I have seen some big CIDP in and under Charleston. 

We've had a similar situation here in Northeast FL, where 2019 and 2020 both saw lows above freezing in St. Augustine (34 and 36F roughly, 10a) according to Weather Underground even though we're officially 9a. Wayyyy too easy to splurge on cocos, hyophorbe's, royal's, archy's, the list could go on...!

2018? It hit 25F! There will be a cold snap sooner or later.

Edited by CodyORB
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CodyORB said:

2018? It hit 25F! There will be a cold snap sooner or later.

Oh you poor thing!  My palms had to go thru 0F!  You're right the last 2 years have been anomaly.  My lows were 8B (16F) last 2 years and I'm a 7A zone.  I track temps on a spreadsheet and for 20 years the last 2 here have been unusually warm.  It did that before in 2011 and 2012 winters but after we got hit hard.  So it's hard to lose sight of mother nature.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F