IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Silver Queen in mukilteo wa-call me crazy

Love them palms

Had a friend here notice that a queen palm was still healthy and alive outside at his palm Nursery after a winter in the Pacific northwest so he planted at his house just for the heck of it to see if it could survive which inspired me to get a more hardier Silver Queen palm to zone push in Mukilteo Wa zone 8B/9A.I live in a great micro climate for a possible survival with a little protection during winter. The tree was cheap and is an experiment to see how far it can get

FB_IMG_1590197787693.jpg

• Like 2

@Dartolution is also experimenting with these. He is in either zone 8a or 7b, i cant remember.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

7 minutes ago, JLM said:

@Dartolution is also experimenting with these. He is in either zone 8a or 7b, i cant remember.

Don't know if anyone has attempted here in mukilteo wa.I live by the Puget sound and have a great microclimate. With a little DeWitt fabric cover for the leaves and a heat cable during winter it could get interesting 

• Like 1

Hope it works out.  Nice microclimate

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

@Love them palms I kinda agree with @RJ. I got my silver queens from Michael at MPOM. He is in 8b/9a but we are talking about Mississippi and Alabama here. I believe (don't quote me) that our climate is considered humid subtropical. 

Im not sure about Wa.... They really tend to only grow with very warm temps. 

Though, I am experimenting too as @JLM pointed out. :)

I'm experimenting as well. A friend of mine who is a palm guru and my mentor in a way- Dave Alvarez told me that I will have to leave it in pots as it grows.taking it in the garage during the winter and out during the spring and summer till it's to big to move inside.then plant it on the south side of my house and after that protect as much as possible 

• Like 1

There are no long term queens in the PNW as far as I know. Many have tried and failed. As long as you give some good protection for those few bad nights a year it may have a shot. My feeling is that like many palms that can survive our low temps it’s the constant damp and cool that is the real issue. I have a Washingtonia fillifera that I have given up on that seems to want to live so you never know. 

2 hours ago, Chester B said:

There are no long term queens in the PNW as far as I know. Many have tried and failed. As long as you give some good protection for those few bad nights a year it may have a shot. My feeling is that like many palms that can survive our low temps it’s the constant damp and cool that is the real issue. I have a Washingtonia fillifera that I have given up on that seems to want to live so you never know. 

Well I was given instructions on how to make my silver queen survive the PNW but it involves keeping it in a pot for a long time going in and out of my garage during the seasons. Till it gets to big to move.then I will have to plant it on the south side of my house until it dies..I am being to that were I live could actually be a 9A microclimate so maybe a chance for it to survive is not out of the question.its just an experiment to see how far I can push it. More to come

5 hours ago, Laaz said:

Good luck, I don't believe you will ever get a syagrus to survive the PNW.

Would be nice though. My 2 canaries survived here 3 years so far. Spent the coldest winter days in the garage but more time outdoors. Look healthy.and green

49 minutes ago, Laaz said:

Big difference between dates & syagrus...

I do know this.but still the fact it's just an experiment to see how far I get it.not expecting anything long term  from this tree. My main palm setup is filled with palms and tropicals that will survive here

Mediterranean fan palms 

Trachycarpus Fortunei 

Trachycarpus takil

Trachycarpus nova

Hibiscus 

Cactus 

Olive trees 

Cordyline austrailis 

Needle palms

Jubaea 

Blue jubaea 

Jubaea x butia 

Jubaea x BJ

BJ x Jubaea 

Supermules 

Sabal palmetto 

Sabal Riverside 

Sabal minor 

2 types of yucca

Butia x Jubaea 

Quite the assortment  and thinking about throwing in a Chamaedorea radicalis as well

20200524_145820.jpg

20200524_145807.jpg

20200524_145757.jpg

20200524_145742.jpg

20200524_145714.jpg

20200524_145702.jpg

20200524_145647.jpg

20200524_145632.jpg

20200524_145543.jpg

20200524_145550.jpg

20200524_145559.jpg

20200524_145606.jpg

20200524_145532.jpg

20200524_145528.jpg

20200524_145516.jpg

20200524_145503.jpg

20200524_145427.jpg

Edited by Love them palms

Nice setup & selection, but they are way to close together. Some of those get huge with massive trunks.

• Like 1

Oh yeah they will. But it's a jungle look that will block out my nosey neighbors. The setup was designed by Dave Alvarez who has designed alot of Seattle and surrounding palmscapes. Here is a couple of his YouTube videos 

Kinda they way he setup mine

I'm growing most of what you have along with a few more species, so we'll have to compare as time passes.

Different species from you that I have in the ground.

Sabal "louisiana"

Sabal causiarum - 1st year

Butia eriospatha

Chamaedorea radicalis - 1st year

Chamaedorea microspadix - these are the only palms I had that have taken damage to the fronds.  I'm not sure if it was because I planted them in late August or not.  I guess I'll see how they do this winter.

Trachycarpus princeps - 1st year

Trachycarpus wagnerianus

Trachycarpus latisectus - 1st year

Livistona nitida - 1st year

Brahea armata - 1st year

Cactus do surprisingly well here.  I started with single pads and ended up with enormous cacti in 3 years.   I was growing 3 unknown varieties.  I have removed them they were just too difficult to work around.  If I had a larger property I would use them again.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I'm growing most of what you have along with a few more species, so we'll have to compare as time passes.

Different species from you that I have in the ground.

Sabal "louisiana"

Sabal causiarum - 1st year

Butia eriospatha

Chamaedorea radicalis - 1st year

Chamaedorea microspadix - these are the only palms I had that have taken damage to the fronds.  I'm not sure if it was because I planted them in late August or not.  I guess I'll see how they do this winter.

Trachycarpus princeps - 1st year

Trachycarpus wagnerianus

Trachycarpus latisectus - 1st year

Livistona nitida - 1st year

Brahea armata - 1st year

Cactus do surprisingly well here.  I started with single pads and ended up with enormous cacti in 3 years.   I was growing 3 unknown varieties.  I have removed them they were just too difficult to work around.  If I had a larger property I would use them again.

I have so many I forgot to add my Waggie on the list.