IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Juvenille becarriophoenix versus jubaea?

Marc

How does one tell 5 gallon jubaea from beccariophoenix alfredii?  I have inadvertently commingled some, and while there are noticeable differences when these palms get larger (such as yellow petioles for the beccariophoenix alfredii, and the jubaea fronds and leaflets are stiffer), for smaller plants I'm having difficulty telling them apart.  Does anyone have some easy keys for differentiating them?

Marc

Hi Marc,

Welcome to palmtalk!

I grow both species from seed but since I am in the warmer subtropics, 

the conditions for the Jubea might not be the best. However, you will see

the differences in their leaflets structure - it should help to distinguish them

when they get bigger.

001.thumb.JPG.3f2afd6bc54d303b98183a8548464892.JPG

Potted B. alfredii, probably four years old. Leaves are kind of soft, compared to...

002.thumb.JPG.4680a51d0435f9b2785c4a8169385b17.JPG

... a still potted seven years old Jubea. (much slower than B. and the leaves are stiffer)

Another example:

003.thumb.JPG.f37d0f693add6c35d948f9b61aafed42.JPG

B. alfredii, same age (4y) but planted out two or three years ago.

Compared to:

004.thumb.JPG.e5bddc795ec3082054e61f8147f31f37.JPG

...another six years old Jubea, planted out five years ago. 

Much slower than Jubea but as mentioned, but it is probably

year around just too warm for them. 

I hope it helps.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Also, you will likely find young alfrediis have purple colored petioles:

20200522_171347.jpg

20200522_171322.jpg

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Hi Marc,

Is the number of palms not too high to post a good (and numbered) picture of each here?  I bet the experienced eyes of PalmTalkers would discern them.

Best,

Andrei

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

• 10 months later...

Stiff leaf vs a much softer leaf is a dead give away. Also Alfies are rockets vs Jubaea comparatively. So if they were germinated around the same time, the size in seedlings should be noticeable. 

T J 

T J