Marc

Juvenille becarriophoenix versus jubaea?

Marc

How does one tell 5 gallon jubaea from beccariophoenix alfredii?  I have inadvertently commingled some, and while there are noticeable differences when these palms get larger (such as yellow petioles for the beccariophoenix alfredii, and the jubaea fronds and leaflets are stiffer), for smaller plants I'm having difficulty telling them apart.  Does anyone have some easy keys for differentiating them?

Marc

palmfriend

Hi Marc,

Welcome to palmtalk!

I grow both species from seed but since I am in the warmer subtropics, 

the conditions for the Jubea might not be the best. However, you will see

the differences in their leaflets structure - it should help to distinguish them

when they get bigger.

001.thumb.JPG.3f2afd6bc54d303b98183a8548464892.JPG

Potted B. alfredii, probably four years old. Leaves are kind of soft, compared to...

002.thumb.JPG.4680a51d0435f9b2785c4a8169385b17.JPG

... a still potted seven years old Jubea. (much slower than B. and the leaves are stiffer)

Another example:

003.thumb.JPG.f37d0f693add6c35d948f9b61aafed42.JPG

B. alfredii, same age (4y) but planted out two or three years ago.

Compared to:

004.thumb.JPG.e5bddc795ec3082054e61f8147f31f37.JPG

...another six years old Jubea, planted out five years ago. 

Much slower than Jubea but as mentioned, but it is probably

year around just too warm for them. 

I hope it helps.

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

GottmitAlex

Also, you will likely find young alfrediis have purple colored petioles:

20200522_171347.jpg

20200522_171322.jpg

• Like 1

awkonradi

Hi Marc,

Is the number of palms not too high to post a good (and numbered) picture of each here?  I bet the experienced eyes of PalmTalkers would discern them.

Best,

Andrei

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Stiff leaf vs a much softer leaf is a dead give away. Also Alfies are rockets vs Jubaea comparatively. So if they were germinated around the same time, the size in seedlings should be noticeable. 

T J 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Missi
      By Missi
      Calling all South Florida Palmies who have alfredii in ground... what do you recommend for soil amendments when planting, if any?
      I have 2 SUUUPER overgrown one-gallons to plant out this weekend.

EDIT to add: and how about planting them in full sun at this size?
    • CodyORB
      By CodyORB
      I soaked them for 3 days (May 3-5) and placed in a 4:1 mixture of perlite and peat moss. 28 seeds split into 5 pots, 1 indoors (around 78F) and 4 outdoors (around 90F day - 75F night). Was expecting to wait 6 months to a year for germination. Surprisingly, the first to sprout was in the indoor pot! Since then I've moved all 5 into the garage (80's-90'sF) and I look forward to more action!
      A quick question, when is a good time to transplant it into its own pot with more nutritious soil?

• Darren Michael
      By Darren Michael
      Hello, I'm planning a trip to Chile this November and am interested in seeing Juania australis and/or Jubaea chilensis in habitat. On Juania I haven't been able to find out if the remaining wild specimens are still visible by regular visitors to Robinson Crusoe, and if so, exactly where (though there don't seem to be many hiking options to begin with). For Jubaea, it seems Parque Nacional La Campana is the best spot, at least as far as large protected areas, but I wanted to make sure that there aren't any better but more obscure/still accessible locations.
      Thanks!
      Darren

• Mahalo2
      By Mahalo2
      Hi,
      I've sold my house and have two (roughly 3 foot) established Beccariophoenix alfredii palms planted in the ground that I want to take with me and re-plant in the ground at my new house. I've never dug up a palm from the ground and re-planted it before and have been told by a couple of people that Beccariophoenix are tough to do this with. I'd really appreciate some advice on how to accomplish this, as I'd hate to kill these palms. I've attached some photos of the palms just for reference. Also, I think they were a bit traumatized by the Woolsey Fire several months ago as flames got to within 15 feet of them, just to make the situation more complicated. Thanks so much for your help on this...I do appreciate it!
      -Loren  

• mike-coral gables
      By mike-coral gables
      I have about 12   Beccariophoenix alfredi and have noticed that the young ones are really starting to take hold 2 and 1/2 years in the ground planted from 1 gal liners .  No prob with freeze last January. Really a great palm for warm z9b locales