Sign in to follow this  
NC_Palm_Enthusiast

Is it time to repot my ponytail palms?

NC_Palm_Enthusiast

7A872974-531F-49E1-852A-654218701D4A.thumb.jpeg.89cc6494a09afe4ea881da0d09003e00.jpeg
Time to repot? These three seem to be really healthy and have been growing like a weed (by ponytail standards), but on the other hand they’re starting to look awful big for a pot this small. 

jimmyt

Is the base pushing the edge of the pot inside?  If not maybe just raise it up in the existing pot to see the base better.  I have had several crowded in pots for years and they dont seem to mind.

NC_Palm_Enthusiast
53 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Is the base pushing the edge of the pot inside?  If not maybe just raise it up in the existing pot to see the base better.  I have had several crowded in pots for years and they dont seem to mind.

No, the three bases are growing into each other, but they aren't quite nearing the edge of the pot yet. What did concern me a little, however, was that there are a few roots poking up at the surface of the soil. Usually I repot other plants and palms when that starts to happen, but with ponytails I wasn't sure. 

• Like 1

jimmyt

mine do that as well.   You could top off the potting mix to cover the high roots or just nip them off.  You can repot to a bigger pots for aesthetic reason if you wish.  Remember they like to stay on the dry side between watering.  I one in the cactus bed here in 8a/8b that likes the heat but only tolerates our sometimes freezing and wet winters.  It has frozen back to the ground more than once then resprouted to start growing again.       

NC_Palm_Enthusiast
2 hours ago, jimmyt said:

mine do that as well.   You could top off the potting mix to cover the high roots or just nip them off.  You can repot to a bigger pots for aesthetic reason if you wish.  Remember they like to stay on the dry side between watering.  I one in the cactus bed here in 8a/8b that likes the heat but only tolerates our sometimes freezing and wet winters.  It has frozen back to the ground more than once then resprouted to start growing again.       

Thanks for your help! Yes, I made sure to plant it in well draining soil. The only reason it looked so wet in the picture was because it had just recently rained. That's awesome that you have one that survives in the ground there. I've only seen them living that way in Florida and California. 

oasis371

Keep it in the same container, and don't cuddle it (I may fertilize mine once a year if that).  

Eastern Summers are often so WET (and HUMID), that you'll have it sitting in excessively moist soil for too long.  This is one that I leave in its pot until it wants to break out.

NC_Palm_Enthusiast
3 hours ago, oasis371 said:

Keep it in the same container, and don't cuddle it (I may fertilize mine once a year if that).  

Eastern Summers are often so WET (and HUMID), that you'll have it sitting in excessively moist soil for too long.  This is one that I leave in its pot until it wants to break out.

Ok will do. In my part of the Southeast (the Carolina Piedmont) we actually have relatively dry summers, but it is very humid. We get more precipitation in winter usually.