IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal uresana

Josue Diaz

I planted a Sabal uresana in late 2017. For whatever reason, it didn't move much at all in all of 2018 + 2019, but now appears to be (dare i say?) happy.  Seems to be moving now, at least more than it has before. 

2017 - long petioles as a result of growing in shade at the nursery

20170129_202126.thumb.jpg.c609551a0470fead628cc88371f1e1bb.jpg.ede164043d888ac67428ad3212bae3d8.jpg

Today

20200522_015634.thumb.jpg.bd7c59525ee605345f01517522f45c70.jpg

20200522_015621.thumb.jpg.c107db0b62a8d7f2f69745070233da67.jpg

20200522_015521.thumb.jpg.1f201402aebd5fa49fb0e7b20870ddbf.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

these are not a fast sabal, but in strong sun they can get nicely blue/grey.  I have learned that you dont want everything to be fast as the viewable color= under neath a blue grey palm isnt as stunning as the view straight on to the crown.  My bizzie is most "white" from 100-150' away, from close in you get to see the underside of the crown, nice, but not like straight on.  The uresana are also very cold hardy, perhaps the best alternative to bismarckia as a greyish palm in 8a/b.  I have an uresana just because it has a different bluish grey/green tone than anything else I have looked at.  The old leafbases of uresana also retain a blue-green color for several years, unlike other sabals I have.

• Like 3

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Nice blue color on yours! I bet its going to take off with your heat this year! I had mine in a pot for several years & it never did much, just sat there. I put it in the ground last spring & it took off immediately! I bet been greenhouse grown had alot to do with it sulking. Looking forward to updates :greenthumb:

• Like 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Mine isn't quite as blue :( but still a nice Sabal for San Antonio, Fresno and Hesperia summer heat!  Pic is from last year shortly after planting and shortly before adding mulch.  It's added a couple of new leaves since.  Huge heel compared to other Sabals I have.

Sabal uresana 2.jpg

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 4

Jon Sunder

Here’s a Sabal Uresana that was planted from a small five gallon, maybe two years ago.  It handles hard clay and exposure well, and gets virtually no supplemental watering.  Believe it or not, it’s 6’ tall.

0666A22F-1F05-4733-B2A4-415AA5780EBC.thumb.jpeg.2dbc36e136dc3f70d508db98d2fbc800.jpeg

Edited by The Steve
  • Like 3

Here is sabal uresana 9 1/2 years from a 4" pot bought from tejas tropicals.  It has between 5-6' trunk and is somewhere around 15-17' tall. The trunk is almost 2x thicker than palmetto(28"+ with leafbases) and the crown is half again wider than palmetto.  My female 25' OA bismarckia (10 years in the ground from a 3(?) gallon box store rescue, it had 3 moldy leaves and a spear), is contrasted in the background.  I like the weeping leaflets of uresana, a nice contrast to the erect bismarckia.  Underneath is silver saw palmetto also 9 1/2 years in the ground from a 3 gallon.   

uresanamay2020.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tom Blank

What a winner! Truly a magnificent cold hardy palm!

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Here’s what I think is an Uresana- a little blue but not tons. Slow grower for me... this is 10+ years in the ground...

image.thumb.jpeg.d0a23d033ab9e17901c1147300fef09f.jpeg

• Like 2

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Here's my little S. uresana. The red pruning shears at the base offer some scale. I think this is its 4th year in the ground and it's really starting to push fronds now. Behind it to the right is an encroaching Trithrinax campestris. In the far right background is what was sold to me as a Trachycarpus nanus but what turned out to be a T. 'nova.'

Sabal_uresana2020spring.png

• Like 4

I think the highlands form is both the bluer and hardier form from what I’ve read. Mine are still in containers for now, I’ll post them later.

Edited by Meangreen94z
  • Upvote 1

I know I’ve posted these before, but as a reference and for those who haven’t seen them previously here are the “Highlands form” of Sabal Uresana at John Fairey Gardens.
file.php?id=63794file.php?id=63793file.php?id=63792file.php?id=68408file.php?id=68407

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

This one is was planted as a 5gal 2.5 yrs ago. The two photos show the growth of today and 1 yr ago. It is still quite blue silver, particularly the new fronds. The sun kind of bleached out the silver in the older photo today.20200523_112311.thumb.jpg.04cd57b8ec9c1d1b81aeb1a54dfee7d7.jpg

20190629_182411.jpg

• Like 3

I had a small one in arizona as well.  These dont lose their wax due to sun, mine lost it in winter cold where the wax becomes brittle and sheds, and on the oldest leaves as the wax is shed due to ageing.  In the hot sun, they go blue, in the shade more green.  this is natural as the function of the wax is to reflect some of the intense light which can dessicate leaves.  Brahea armata is the same way.  Mine always had some blue but it did vary some over time, less coming out of winter, more in late summer.  Mine gets a lot of sun hrs/day, but mostly the hottest late day sun is heavily filtered by the bizzie.   

• Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Sunday morning shot of the specimen in the Glendale Xeric Demo Garden's collection, coming along nicely.. Haven't seen it with my own eyes, in a couple years. Other ( not pictured ) Sabal located to the right in the same general planting bed are in full bloom atm also. Extremely fragrant, even from across this section of the parking lot.
DSC08464.thumb.JPG.409b672ad6ad7340506b32da27c0e2a3.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

In the hot sun, they go blue, in the shade more green.  

I hope you're right Tom - I planted mine in full sun and it's getting lots of summer heat as we've had 4 or 5 days of 100+ degrees so far this year.  Haven't noticed it getting any bluer yet but I believe it was grown in mostly shade before I got it.

Jon Sunder

jon, I bought mine it had blue, then it pretty much faded.  I was thinking that what people said on this board 7-10 years ago about them going green as adults might be true.  It seems like I had a year or two where aI was asking myslef if this was going to look different than sabal palmetto, what did I buy?  But then as it grew to 6-7' overall it starting turning blue-grey again.   This one with sun at your back is even more blue than the pic I gave but this angle gives the full profile of the palm, trunk and all.  If I were you I might buy another small blue seedling and bring it along.  If the first one doesnt get blue enough, I'd plant the other one next to it.  they are all beautiful, especially in their diversity.  I had 6 brahea armatas in my arizona garden, 2 were less blue, when hues were planted next to each other it gives them an artistic depth of color that is more striking than either color alone IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

Gotta keep these in the sun to keep.the blue color. I have four of the tejas uresana in the ground and they are nowhere near as blue as the highlands seed grown plants I have. 

• Upvote 2