IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Let's See Your Treeferns...

palmsOrl

Here’s the one I think might be the type species. Must be 30’ tall, (9m), incredibly beautiful, and an enormous base. I’m surprised I’ve not found seedlings anywhere around the plant. 

It grew extremely fast when younger and I had no idea it would be as tall as the Iriartea planted adjacent to it. 

Tim 

DC761996-FA5E-4690-B294-CFB76E3BD5D8.jpeg

03841E5A-5C77-4811-88FA-896B20DC841C.jpeg

18C7FD9C-1878-4FA5-8AD7-94D92AF6AFB3.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow Tim, very impressive collection. That giant is awesome! Any idea of what is was supposed to be? Been looking for Cibotium menziesii spore for some time. If you ever collect some I would be very interested.

MLW

Michael, it was supposed to a New Caledonian tree fern, but not positive on a definite ID. I don’t remember the mother plant, maybe I didn’t look up. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

OK, here are the three species I grow in my tiny garden in San Francisco.

Cyathea autralis, 21 feet of stem, (6.4m) 

Then C. medularis with 21 feet of stem (6.09m)

and Sadleria cyathoides 67 inches, (1.7m)

The third image shows my Ceroxlyon quindiuense in the background.

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

I'm soory but these images are out of order.  I tried three times to post them in the correct  order.  The first one is  C. medularis, then Sadleria,  then C. medularis, and lastly C. australis. :unsure:

11 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I'm soory but these images are out of order.  I tried three times to post them in the correct  order.  The first one is  C. medularis, then Sadleria,  then C. medularis, and lastly C. australis. :unsure:

amazing darold.  oh how nice it would be to grow tree ferns in open sky ... LOL.  the juxtaposition of your yard against the cityscape is beautiful.  thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

10 hours ago, mwardlow said:

Awesome tree fern collection! How old is your Sadleria and has it always been solitary? Mine has multi trunks.

Mine was originally two stems but one stem died.  The plant was a road side collection from Saddle Road, uphill from Hilo.  It was a small start,  planted in December, 2004.

Can anyone direct me to the form with reddish new fronds ??  Fern Factory had it,   but now lists it as 'out of stock'.

31 minutes ago, tinman10101 said:

amazing darold.  oh how nice it would be to grow tree ferns in open sky ... LOL.  the juxtaposition of your yard against the cityscape is beautiful.  thanks for sharing. 

Tin,  the westward view is from the deck off our master bedroom suite on the third story of our home.  I built this myself in 1987-88 on top of the original building.  The ocean is about 1.2 miles away (2 km).   If you follow the rachis line of the Howea frond on the left out to its tip you can just barely see the ocean horizon through the Monterey cypress trees.   (Cupressus macrocarpa)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

Tin,  the westward view is from the deck off our master bedroom suite on the third story of our home.  I built this myself in 1987-88 on top of the original building.  The ocean is about 1.2 miles away (2 km).   If you follow the rachis line of the Howea frond on the left out to its tip you can just barely see the ocean horizon through the Montery cypress trees.   (Cupressus macrocarpa)

wow ... i thought you climbed on your roof darold. haha.  i want to do the same off our second story.  hats off to you for building it yourself.  

yes ... i noticed the ocean horizon line.  it must be amazing to have morning coffee off this deck although it does look a bit chilly.  regardless, its a beautiful view.  :D

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

Mine is from Jim at the fern factory. It never gets really red, just on the ends in the spring. He thinks it is environmental not a different form. 

Coizer.jpeg

Sadaleria leaf.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

MLW

• 7 months later...

This may sound weird but I signed up to this site just to reply to this two year old post. 

I have a cyathea arborea in San Francisco California. 
I can post photos or something once I figure the site out 

• 7 months later...
12 minutes ago, mwardlow said:

Both my C. medullaris are waking up after a long wet winter.

med.jpeg

med1.jpeg

Absolutely stunning Michael! Could you disclose how old it is and at what size it was planted?

Cheers 

Tin

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe these are reputed to be slow growers, but I have not found that to be the case in our cool maritime climate. Dicksonia antarctica, 3 years from a 5 gallon. The other most common choice to its left, Sphaeropteris cooperi

PXL_20230915_165523863.thumb.jpg.d71f174fba31d3b3b7649b687002963d.jpg

Hard to get a decent photo, but it's getting a girthy stem. 

PXL_20230915_165820771.thumb.jpg.1cd8fa4518bdd3003d3be8d8f907ced5.jpg

Sphaeropteris is a double. Native Polystichum munitum and Blechnum spicant beneath.

PXL_20230915_170540927.thumb.jpg.86752ab70af891bf9c55d8f4809efa4f.jpg

Blechnum gibbum somewhere under there.

PXL_20230915_170718316.thumb.jpg.12c458f30635e2fad027e36bf3b3cb3a.jpg

After a fruitless search for Cyathea howeana , I settled on a couple of tiny Sphaeropteris robusta (Cyathea robusta), which are now quickly filling up 1 gallon pots and will likely be planted out in the spring.

PXL_20230915_170146188.thumb.jpg.db38ea54796a2e284918fdc065a454da.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Chris

San Francisco, CA