IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

List of Palms resistant to RPW and Paysandisia archon?

LivistonaFan

Both Rhynchophorus ferrugineus (RPW) and Paysandisia archon have been going on a palm rampage for several years now. We all know very well that almost all CIDPs in the Mediterranean basin were killed by the RPW and e.g. many Trachycarpus and Chamaerops from Paysandisia archon. I found some lists about which Palms are susceptible to attacks, but they were not exactly detailed. Also they list palms like Phoenix dactylifera although most of the ones I saw are still alive (in contradistinction to the above mentioned Phoenix canariensis),

I am particularly interested in the performance of Phoenix Sylvestris. Of the few I saw in the Mediterranean, not a single one was attacked by the RPW.  So please share which of your palms were attacked by these bugs and which not. That could help many growers to choose their new plantings more wisely.

This is a list of the more popular palms for the mediterranean climate: 

Palm                                          susceptibility to damage caused by RPW   susceptibility to damage cuased by Paysandisia archon

high/moderate/low/none                           high/moderate/low/none

Archontophoenix

Butia odorata                          low                                                             low/moderate?

Brahea sp.

Butia yatay                              low                                                             moderate?

Butia x Syagrus (Mule)           ?                                                                  ?

Chamaerops humilis              ?                                                                  moderate/high?

Jubaea chilensis                     moderate/high?

Livistona chinensis                ?                                                                  moderate?

Livistona decipiens                low/moderate

Parajubaea cocoides               ?

Parajubaea torallyi

Phoenix canariensis               high                                                            low/moderate?

Phoenix dactylifera                low(though suckers get infected) 

Phoenix reclinata                  

Phoenix roebelinii

Phoenix sylvestris                 low?

Phoenix theophrastii            low?

Roystonea regia

Sabal sp.

Syagrus romanzoffiana                                                                                moderate?

Trachycarpus fortunei

Washingtonia robusta              moderate?

Washingtonia filifera               low?

• Upvote 1

Regarding the RPW I believe that all palms are attackable, albeit to a different extent. If it is useful, this is the list of all the species killed in my garden (Palermo, Sicily):

- Brahea armata

- Brahea edulis

- Bismarckia nobilis

- Chamaerops humilis (the tallest stem)

- Livistona mariae

- Parajubaea cocoides

- Phoenix canariensis

- Phoenix loureiroi

- Phoenix roebelenii

- Pritchardia hillebrandii

- Pritchardia remota

attacked, but still alive: