IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Canaries in trouble

akamu

Palm weevil destruction moving fastI. I watched 2 big canary island date palms get cut down on a jobsite within a month of each other and alot more are dying quickly around San Diego. I counted 16 by Presidio park and 10 more in national city. I talked to a city worker and he said they have sprayed some of the crowns. But after watching how they are treating it in south America on u tube videos. I don't think they are giving it the right approach. It would be a shame to lose these palms some of wich are well over 100 years old . Here are some pics of weevil and cocoons with a video. 

20200507_080244.jpg

20200507_080336.jpg

20200507_080201.jpg

20200507_080225.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately Adam, that is the status quo. I have a client in National city and every time I'm in the area I am scanning for CIDP's.. the vast majority of the ones I spot have their days numbered....

:rant:

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

So true I talked to one of the head arborist in charge of the trees in San Diego he said they just don't have the budget for saving them so enjoy them while you can. Unfortunately they just take them to the dump and so goes the spread. Now we just need to convince them to plant something else royals perhaps?I know dream on lol

3 minutes ago, akamu said:

So true I talked to one of the head arborist in charge of the trees in San Diego he said they just don't have the budget for saving them so enjoy them while you can. Unfortunately they just take them to the dump and so goes the spread. Now we just need to convince them to plant something else royals perhaps?I know dream on lol

Well, that's the rub. Isn't it?

Once the canaries are kaput (literally), what will these bugs strike a fancy for next?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)