Jump to content
joe_OC

New Licuala peltata sumawongii Frond

Recommended Posts

joe_OC

The latest frond from my L peltata sumawongii is about 4’ in diameter.  It is growing much faster than I had anticipated.  Looks like I might have to edit the R cheesmanii I planted near it to protect it from wind.
 

 

8A4DC62A-B48E-4DD2-AC76-D30CF48FA948.jpeg

8C92BDAE-B3D4-4C80-ADAF-3A26C5171242.jpeg

  • Like 15
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James B

Nice! How many leaves is it opening a year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Palm Tree Jim

Nice Joe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr

What a conundrum to delete a R.Cheesmanii to make room for your Licuala :o

Decisions Decisions 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
7 hours ago, James B said:

Nice! How many leaves is it opening a year?

I get 1.5 - 2 fronds a year.  More towards 2 now.  Need to find a way to protect it from the Santa Ana's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James B
1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

I get 1.5 - 2 fronds a year.  More towards 2 now.  Need to find a way to protect it from the Santa Ana's.

Ah yeah if you get them like I do out here they can be fierce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
7 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice Joe!

Thanks, Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What a conundrum to delete a R.Cheesmanii to make room for your Licuala :o

Decisions Decisions 

I'm really torn.  I grew the cheesmanii from habitat collected seeds.  It should survive the move, but always a risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
14 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I'm really torn.  I grew the cheesmanii from habitat collected seeds.  It should survive the move, but always a risk.

Dang thats a real dilemma , seed grown Cheesmani i don't think i could take that chance unless you had back ups =/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
akamu

That's a really nice licuala you're growing i wish you good luck on the move if you decide to I tried moving a big R.sapida and it didn't make it but maybe you'll be good.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MattyB

Very nice Joe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
On 5/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, akamu said:

That's a really nice licuala you're growing i wish you good luck on the move if you decide to I tried moving a big R.sapida and it didn't make it but maybe you'll be good.    

My large Catham Island was a successful transplant.  
 

Long term, the Licuala needs a palm to protect it.  I’m just gonna leave them both for now.  It’s a bit crowded, but my thought is that the cheesmanii will get above the Licuala ...I hope.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos

That’s really awesome, Joe! I’ve got mine growing under a Chambeyronia. I could only dream of my Licuala growing like yours. I get three leaves per year but so small by comparison and mine’s been in the ground 15 years. What’s your secret? 

440B9A1B-80E6-4B8F-BC56-7ABCCB8706C3.thumb.jpeg.f9dfc490f808dbf0119cddbedd0206b6.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
2 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

That’s really awesome, Joe! I’ve got mine growing under a Chambeyronia. I could only dream of my Licuala growing like yours. I get three leaves per year but so small by comparison and mine’s been in the ground 15 years. What’s your secret? 

440B9A1B-80E6-4B8F-BC56-7ABCCB8706C3.thumb.jpeg.f9dfc490f808dbf0119cddbedd0206b6.jpeg

Beautiful, Jim.  I think they want more sun than what most people give them.  They are also water hogs.  It could just be I am blessed with a great climate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TomJ

Looks great! 

Think they pick up speed after getting established.

I would leave the R Cheesmanii alone. Looks happy.

Part of the jungle look. LOL.  At least that is what I tell myself.

Update this post with the next leaf opening.

Mine the leaves always look nice for a little while and then split like the older ones look on yours.

Last time in Singapore with all the rare tropicals somehow the Licuala were surprisingly my favorites.

I did see the one M Darian had in his pool house.....   wow

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
10 hours ago, TomJ said:

Looks great! 

Think they pick up speed after getting established.

I would leave the R Cheesmanii alone. Looks happy.

Part of the jungle look. LOL.  At least that is what I tell myself.

Update this post with the next leaf opening.

Mine the leaves always look nice for a little while and then split like the older ones look on yours.

Last time in Singapore with all the rare tropicals somehow the Licuala were surprisingly my favorites.

I did see the one M Darian had in his pool house.....   wow

 

 

Yeah...gonna go with “wait and see”.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
On 5/25/2020 at 7:19 AM, TomJ said:

Update this post with the next leaf opening.

Mine the leaves always look nice for a little while and then split like the older ones look on yours.

Last time in Singapore with all the rare tropicals somehow the Licuala were surprisingly my favorites.

I did see the one M Darian had in his pool house.....   wow

Mine are tiny compared to Joe's but I also end up with split leaves.  Mardi Darian's was spectacular in that pool house!

On 5/20/2020 at 11:12 AM, joe_OC said:

 It is growing much faster than I had anticipated.  Looks like I might have to edit the R cheesmanii I planted near it to protect it from wind.

Joe that is impressive here in Southern California to have a Licuala peltata competing with a Rhopalostylis cheesmannii.  That said, I think the Rhopalstylis will pull away and the only issue will be some of the leaves of the Licuala growing into the trunk of the Rhopalostylis.  I would leave it.  I didn't see how old this plant was from planting and what size at planting.... please share.  My best looking one is growing to and below a Pritchardia and Dypsis pembana on the other side so no competition for either of them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joe_OC
3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Mine are tiny compared to Joe's but I also end up with split leaves.  Mardi Darian's was spectacular in that pool house!

Joe that is impressive here in Southern California to have a Licuala peltata competing with a Rhopalostylis cheesmannii.  That said, I think the Rhopalstylis will pull away and the only issue will be some of the leaves of the Licuala growing into the trunk of the Rhopalostylis.  I would leave it.  I didn't see how old this plant was from planting and what size at planting.... please share.  My best looking one is growing to and below a Pritchardia and Dypsis pembana on the other side so no competition for either of them.

I don’t know how old the Licuala is.  I got it from Jerry Andersen in 2013 when he closed  his nursery.  It was in a 15 gal.  I would say  it has tripled in size.  The fronds are over 7’ tall now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
13 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I don’t know how old the Licuala is.  I got it from Jerry Andersen in 2013 when he closed  his nursery.  It was in a 15 gal.  I would say  it has tripled in size.  The fronds are over 7’ tall now.  

So there is hope.  My current batch were 1 gallons about 3-4 years ago.  I had two that I  nursed along in the Carlsbad garden for years but when I moved out something happened between the first landscape maintenance firm I had and the first tenants (they died).  My best looking one has a leaf with about a 9" diameter now.  At least I know that if I'm patient like with my orchids and cycads it will eventually have the potential of being a sizeable plant.

20200527-BH3I0097.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...