IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Licuala peltata sumawongii Frond

joe_OC

The latest frond from my L peltata sumawongii is about 4’ in diameter.  It is growing much faster than I had anticipated.  Looks like I might have to edit the R cheesmanii I planted near it to protect it from wind.

8A4DC62A-B48E-4DD2-AC76-D30CF48FA948.jpeg

8C92BDAE-B3D4-4C80-ADAF-3A26C5171242.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Upvote 2

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

What a conundrum to delete a R.Cheesmanii to make room for your Licuala :o

Decisions Decisions 

• Like 1

T J 

7 hours ago, James B said:

Nice! How many leaves is it opening a year?

I get 1.5 - 2 fronds a year.  More towards 2 now.  Need to find a way to protect it from the Santa Ana's.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 minute ago, joe_OC said:

I get 1.5 - 2 fronds a year.  More towards 2 now.  Need to find a way to protect it from the Santa Ana's.

Ah yeah if you get them like I do out here they can be fierce.

7 hours ago, Palm Tree Jim said:

Nice Joe!

Thanks, Jim

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

8 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

What a conundrum to delete a R.Cheesmanii to make room for your Licuala :o

Decisions Decisions 

I'm really torn.  I grew the cheesmanii from habitat collected seeds.  It should survive the move, but always a risk.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

14 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I'm really torn.  I grew the cheesmanii from habitat collected seeds.  It should survive the move, but always a risk.

Dang thats a real dilemma , seed grown Cheesmani i don't think i could take that chance unless you had back ups =/ 

T J 

That's a really nice licuala you're growing i wish you good luck on the move if you decide to I tried moving a big R.sapida and it didn't make it but maybe you'll be good.    

Very nice Joe.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

On 5/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, akamu said:

That's a really nice licuala you're growing i wish you good luck on the move if you decide to I tried moving a big R.sapida and it didn't make it but maybe you'll be good.    

My large Catham Island was a successful transplant.  

Long term, the Licuala needs a palm to protect it.  I’m just gonna leave them both for now.  It’s a bit crowded, but my thought is that the cheesmanii will get above the Licuala ...I hope.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

That’s really awesome, Joe! I’ve got mine growing under a Chambeyronia. I could only dream of my Licuala growing like yours. I get three leaves per year but so small by comparison and mine’s been in the ground 15 years. What’s your secret? 

440B9A1B-80E6-4B8F-BC56-7ABCCB8706C3.thumb.jpeg.f9dfc490f808dbf0119cddbedd0206b6.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

2 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

That’s really awesome, Joe! I’ve got mine growing under a Chambeyronia. I could only dream of my Licuala growing like yours. I get three leaves per year but so small by comparison and mine’s been in the ground 15 years. What’s your secret? 

440B9A1B-80E6-4B8F-BC56-7ABCCB8706C3.thumb.jpeg.f9dfc490f808dbf0119cddbedd0206b6.jpeg

Beautiful, Jim.  I think they want more sun than what most people give them.  They are also water hogs.  It could just be I am blessed with a great climate.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Looks great! 

Think they pick up speed after getting established.

I would leave the R Cheesmanii alone. Looks happy.

Part of the jungle look. LOL.  At least that is what I tell myself.

Update this post with the next leaf opening.

Mine the leaves always look nice for a little while and then split like the older ones look on yours.

Last time in Singapore with all the rare tropicals somehow the Licuala were surprisingly my favorites.

I did see the one M Darian had in his pool house.....   wow

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomJ said:

Looks great! 

Think they pick up speed after getting established.

I would leave the R Cheesmanii alone. Looks happy.

Part of the jungle look. LOL.  At least that is what I tell myself.

Mine the leaves always look nice for a little while and then split like the older ones look on yours.

Last time in Singapore with all the rare tropicals somehow the Licuala were surprisingly my favorites.

Yeah...gonna go with “wait and see”.   

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

On 5/25/2020 at 7:19 AM, TomJ said:

Mine are tiny compared to Joe's but I also end up with split leaves.  Mardi Darian's was spectacular in that pool house!

On 5/20/2020 at 11:12 AM, joe_OC said:

It is growing much faster than I had anticipated.  Looks like I might have to edit the R cheesmanii I planted near it to protect it from wind.

Joe that is impressive here in Southern California to have a Licuala peltata competing with a Rhopalostylis cheesmannii.  That said, I think the Rhopalstylis will pull away and the only issue will be some of the leaves of the Licuala growing into the trunk of the Rhopalostylis.  I would leave it.  I didn't see how old this plant was from planting and what size at planting.... please share.  My best looking one is growing to and below a Pritchardia and Dypsis pembana on the other side so no competition for either of them.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

3 hours ago, Tracy said:

Mine are tiny compared to Joe's but I also end up with split leaves.  Mardi Darian's was spectacular in that pool house!

Joe that is impressive here in Southern California to have a Licuala peltata competing with a Rhopalostylis cheesmannii.  That said, I think the Rhopalstylis will pull away and the only issue will be some of the leaves of the Licuala growing into the trunk of the Rhopalostylis.  I would leave it.  I didn't see how old this plant was from planting and what size at planting.... please share.  My best looking one is growing to and below a Pritchardia and Dypsis pembana on the other side so no competition for either of them.

I don’t know how old the Licuala is.  I got it from Jerry Andersen in 2013 when he closed  his nursery.  It was in a 15 gal.  I would say  it has tripled in size.  The fronds are over 7’ tall now.  

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

13 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I don’t know how old the Licuala is.  I got it from Jerry Andersen in 2013 when he closed  his nursery.  It was in a 15 gal.  I would say  it has tripled in size.  The fronds are over 7’ tall now.  

So there is hope.  My current batch were 1 gallons about 3-4 years ago.  I had two that I  nursed along in the Carlsbad garden for years but when I moved out something happened between the first landscape maintenance firm I had and the first tenants (they died).  My best looking one has a leaf with about a 9" diameter now.  At least I know that if I'm patient like with my orchids and cycads it will eventually have the potential of being a sizeable plant.

20200527-BH3I0097.jpg

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation