IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Over Watered Outdoor Royal Palm

miss.gypsea

Hello All,

Location Tulum, MX.

I have a big Royal Palm that was installed very close to this house, so close that it can't use the help of gravity to drop one of its fronds. We have had some torrential downpours lately  (and it was previously over watered) and the stem is appearing very bloated, I guess is the best way to put it. I also noticed that the green stem color is creeping down lower onto the upper trunk area. I don't know much about the soil.

Should I just assume that the palm will be able to push through this and shed that frond that is right up against the house? It seems like it really needs some space up there. The center spear is still growing and there's another frond opening up, but there's no space because the frond next in line to drop is set straight up against the house.

Could not attach images so please see the links 

Advice please. Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ScYn2CpC5NadjQOncwQK-ZFygC2scynO/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sb3_Yir0Vuh3A4W2LmsU2BUfSclPiMk4/view?usp=sharing

Edited by miss.gypsea
Clarify

I propose that you double check your links.  For me, the first link is requesting authorization, and the second link is providing an image that does not look like a "big royal palm", but I may be mistaken.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

That could be a royal, If so I doubt it is over watered. The lean could be since its so close to the house it may be leaning away to provide space for its crown and fronds. These becoming gigantic palms sooner then later. 

T J 

Just now, awkonradi said:

I propose that you double check your links.  For me, the first link is requesting authorization, and the second link is providing an image that does not look like a "big royal palm", but I may be mistaken.

Sorry about that. I changed the photo authorization. 

You are right about that being the incorrect species, sorry!

I dont see a royal there, royals have a plumose arrangement of leaflets and just a grey trunk(no white).  I wouldnt worry about overwatering a royal, the crownshaft may bulge a bit, just means its growing faster.   My royals got 21days of florida rain in a row last year, it just made the trunk get a little thicker and bulged the crownshaft a bit.  Royals love water.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

To me, the palm looks healthy.  I don't think it being against the building will interfere with it shedding old fronds, or dangerously affect the development of inner fronds or the spear.  If you could tolerate it leaning further away from the building, then I think you could consider inserting a "shim" between the trunk and the building.  I would place any shim below the crownshaft.    

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat