Coasta

What kind of palm tree is this?

Coasta

Is this a Mexican bottle palm? If not what kind of palm is this :)

20200519_173027.jpg

Edited by Coasta

GottmitAlex

Looks like a neglected Ravanea rivularis.

• Like 7

doubravsky

+1 - majesty palm - Ravenea Rivularis

• Like 3

Coasta

Thank you guys! Would you say it is lacking in some nutrients? 

GottmitAlex
31 minutes ago, Coasta said:

Thank you guys! Would you say it is lacking in some nutrients? 

Water?

• Like 2

Coasta
1 hour ago, GottmitAlex said:

Water?

Thank you!! 

PalmatierMeg

It is a water and fertilizer hog.

• Like 2

Coasta

Would the basic fertilizer work or does it need a specific one? 

aztropic

Palms can't read... Any fertilizer at this point (and lots more water) would help green it up.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 2

Stevetoad

agreed. Any time you see " Rivularis" (river in latin) you can count on it being a water hog. 

• Like 3

sonoranfans

Ravanea rivularis seems to always be in a state of deficiency around my area.  They are notorious for sensitivity to deficiency, maybe the worst of commonly available palms.

• Like 1

aztropic

I have 1 of those 2 gallon HD Ravenea houseplants that we planted outdoors between 2 houses a few years ago.It only gets an hour or two of direct sun (still a little too much) and plenty of water,and seems to be doing better than I expected it would.Planted too close to the neighbors house, and probably will have to remove it at some point, but am really enjoying it for now.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200520_145710437_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200520_145743586.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Palmfarmer
4 hours ago, aztropic said:

I have 1 of those 2 gallon HD Ravenea houseplants that we planted outdoors between 2 houses a few years ago.It only gets an hour or two of direct sun (still a little too much) and plenty of water,and seems to be doing better than I expected it would.Planted too close to the neighbors house, and probably will have to remove it at some point, but am really enjoying it for now.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

looks great, one of my favorites. what generally happens when a palm is planted to close to a house will the trunk just bend gradually? 

GottmitAlex
8 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

looks great, one of my favorites. what generally happens when a palm is planted to close to a house will the trunk just bend gradually? 

From wht I gave seen, even washies, when planted too close against a structure, will distance themselves from it. It's as if they have eyes.

True story.

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos
On May 19, 2020 at 10:19 PM, Coasta said:

Would the basic fertilizer work or does it need a specific one? 

Majesty palms are maniacs when it comes to their need for magnesium. I'd get a palm specific fertilizer like PalmGain and add Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) at the rate of one cup per palm in addition to the amount of palm fertilizer recommends. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Coasta
On 5/20/2020 at 10:44 AM, Stevetoad said:

agreed. Any time you see " Rivularis" (river in latin) you can count on it being a water hog. 

That makes sense!! :)

Coasta
On 5/20/2020 at 12:26 PM, sonoranfans said:

Ravanea rivularis seems to always be in a state of deficiency around my area.  They are notorious for sensitivity to deficiency, maybe the worst of commonly available palms.

ahh, we walked around the neighborhood and didn't see great looking Majesty's. They are in the inland empire in CA. 

Coasta
On 5/20/2020 at 5:18 PM, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thats a beautiful looking specimen Aztropic! 

Coasta
On 5/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, Jim in Los Altos said:

Majesty palms are maniacs when it comes to their need for magnesium. I'd get a palm specific fertilizer like PalmGain and add Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate) at the rate of one cup per palm in addition to the amount of palm fertilizer recommends. 

Thanks Jim!! I informed my cousin of this :). Also is it magnesium sulfate or maganese sulfate? 

Jim in Los Altos
4 hours ago, Coasta said:

Thanks Jim!! I informed my cousin of this :). Also is it magnesium sulfate or maganese sulfate? 

Magnesium. Just go to the drugstore and buy a bag of Epsom salts. :)

• Like 1

Coasta
1 minute ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Magnesium. Just go to the drugstore and buy a bag of Epsom salts. :)

Thanks Jim :). I appreciate it!!! I feel like I am learning so much!

• Upvote 1