IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Leptocheilios flower?

akamu

Has anyone gotten viable seeds on these in So Cal. This has been the 5th try on this tree and #6 is popping out in the last picture 

15899167005407434402721049540144.jpg

15899167414423158515207443594864.jpg

15899171377223355636786249797686.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, akamu said:

Has anyone gotten viable seeds on these in So Cal. This has been the 5th try on this tree and #6 is popping out in the last picture 

Mine aren't flowering yet, so I can't share with this species, but you might want to reach out to Dave. He has some large ones in the Garden of Doom.  I often wonder why my Dypsis lanceolata has failed to produce any viable seeds when I know others in Southern California are getting viable seeds.  Same question with my Burretiokentia hapala.  Is it something lacking in my plants or insufficient activity with the pollinators?  The local honey bees seem to love Archontophoenix flowers yet show less enthusiasm for my Dypsis species, but I don't want any more baby Archontophoenix sprouting and would love to see more Dypsis and Burretiokentias sprouting.  Hopefully you will have success with this one eventually!

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Same thing here with my dypsis lanceolata never get viable seed it flowers all the time.i did just add  Bloom booster this time. and i will see if it helps. Dennis says it works. . I did see bees on the leptocheilios going to town so maybe . That's cool your hapala is blooming . I lost mine to fungus i had bad drainage in that part of the garden 

I have never heard of anyone getting viable seed her in SoCal. its weird. Mine never even form fully before they drop.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thanks Len for your response. I talked to Dennis Willoughby he said his has never gotten a flower and it has almost 30ft of trunk. It's a strange deal. Seeing  how  well they grow here 

1 hour ago, akamu said:

Same thing here with my dypsis lanceolata never get viable seed it flowers all the time.i did just add  Bloom booster this time. and i will see if it helps. Dennis says it works. . I did see bees on the leptocheilios going to town so maybe . That's cool your hapala is blooming . I lost mine to fungus i had bad drainage in that part of the garden 

I've gotten viable seeds off my lanceolata.  Have seeds on my Hapala right now.  Fingers crossed that they don't abort.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

That's great Joe. I wish you luck on the hapala. I lost a B koghiensis and B veillardii both were flowering when I lost my big Monterey pine canopy tree due to bark beattle. Big loss for  me. Now I'm starting over since my other palms have matured and provided adequate shade. Burrettiokentias are great trees in the right condition.

1 hour ago, akamu said:

I lost a B koghiensis and B veillardii both were flowering when I lost my big Monterey pine canopy tree due to bark beattle. Big loss for  me.

Major bummer! That was a 3fer loss due to those bark beetles.  It had to be especially frustrating considering the beetles didn't actually go after your palms, they were just collateral damage!

4 hours ago, joe_OC said:

I've gotten viable seeds off my lanceolata.  Have seeds on my Hapala right now.  Fingers crossed that they don't abort.

Nice, we are keeping our fingers crossed for you too!

5 hours ago, LJG said:

I have never heard of anyone getting viable seed her in SoCal. its weird. Mine never even form fully before they drop.

Switching gears back to the Burretiokentias, I recall when I posted photos of mine with aborted small unformed seeds, you said you have one that drops viable seeds.  Is my memory correct Len?

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

9 hours ago, Tracy said:

Switching gears back to the Burretiokentias, I recall when I posted photos of mine with aborted small unformed seeds, you said you have one that drops viable seeds.  Is my memory correct Len?

Yes Tracy, I have second generation plants of Hapala and Veillardii in my garden from my trees.  I have seedlings of Veillardii popping up around the base of the mother right now too. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin