IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty palm? (At the Nursery uregent)

Palmfarmer

Looks like a Hyophorbe to me.

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Looks more like a bottle or spindle

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

2 hours ago, Rasta Rob said:

Bottle palm 

yeah i avoided it he wanted around 40 usd for it. cheap or not? 

13 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

Not a bad price, but if you are worried about the cold you'd have to perpetually keep this one in a container.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

50 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

Not a bad price, but if you are worried about the cold you'd have to perpetually keep this one in a container.

i will wait untill i get a majesty even though that one looks great also. majesty palms i think should do fine with some canopy here. Royals do fine here without canopy so. 

IMG_20200515_145851349 (1).jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

i will wait until i get a majesty even though that one looks great also. majesty palms i think should do fine with some canopy here. Royals do fine here without canopy

I'd agree with you about that.  After a night of 27F in Corpus Christi a few years back I noticed all of the local bottle palms were totally fried and the majesties only had slight damage.

Jon Sunder

56 minutes ago, Palmfarmer said:

i will wait untill i get a majesty even though that one looks great also. majesty palms i think should do fine with some canopy here. Royals do fine here without canopy so. 

IMG_20200515_145851349 (1).jpg

This picture really cracks me up, man. Growing between two wires with the electrical wires not far ahead. And the electrical company here gets mad when you plant things within 15 feet of the poles.  :laugh2:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, necturus said:

This picture really cracks me up, man. Growing between two wires with the electrical wires not far ahead. And the electrical company here gets mad when you plant things within 15 feet of the poles.  :laugh2:

haha yeah there is many trees and palms growing among the electrical wires here

3 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Where I live - YES! Very cheap.Where you live;only you can decide.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Screenshot_20200518-205526.png

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

8 hours ago, aztropic said:

Where I live - YES! Very cheap.Where you live;only you can decide.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Screenshot_20200518-205526.png

Wow that is not a great price. I’m wondering what our local HD is selling them for. Just a couple years ago, these were $49.

• Like 1

Location,location,location...Since these are not grown locally,SHIPPING costs have to be added into the final price.If you bought this tree for $49 in FL (which they are) and agreed to ship it out to me,how much would YOU have to charge,just to break even?

I've already done it,using fedex ground,and $80 or more for shipping is what it actually costs.Don't forget to add in the cost of the big box required to ship it,tape,you're time to package and ship,and the fact that the plant WILL get beat up on the 5 day journey.

The price is very fair for THIS area,and we are lucky to have the opportunity to buy one if we want one.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

What nurseries charge for larger material around here,and actually get,is mind boggling.There IS a demand for different,unusual palms, but,because supply is VERY limited,high prices prevail.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200509_100604349.jpg

IMG_20200509_100459975.jpg

IMG_20200226_151058990.jpg

IMG_20200226_151110066.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Half price and free delivery? You better jump on that Bismarckia before someone else gets it! You’re definitely right about the location. I can’t get Howeas at any price in Florida. I remember seeing a post here about Cyrtostachys Renda at a Walmart. Of course it was in Hawaii so I guess there was no significant transport cost.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Palmseed said:

Half price and free delivery? You better jump on that Bismarckia before someone else gets it!

Went back to the nursery recently and it already sold.They had a dozen to begin with and are now down to 6.

I already had one years before they ever even thought about bringing them into Arizona. Mine is definitely one of the biggest in this state...Still not a very common palm here, although the numbers are growing.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

15899117778953906123851101801918.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

Yours looks great! Very well grown and happy. I just can’t believe people are snapping up palms for $3500. Regardless of scarcity, that’s a lot of money for 1 plant. And from what I’ve heard, Bismarckias don’t transplant well when large so it could be a risky purchase.

• Like 1

They do guarantee the transplant, but I can't believe they get those kinds of prices either...

The nursery buys them in Florida,transports them here,and sells them at 10X markup at least - and they usually sell out over the summer.That nursery was started in Phoenix,grew to several stores here,and has now expanded into Nevada and California.Multi,multi,million dollar business built by overpriced,high pressure sales in the past,with a huge advertising budget and gimmicks to draw in the crowds.It really does seem to work for them though.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Screenshot_20200519-142344.png

Mesa, Arizona

We have that nursery here in Texas. It is a huge rip off.

Bottle palms have came down a lot in price here at the big box stores. They use to be similar in price to yours, but now they are running around $69 for that size. I got one on sale for half that price in last fall. 

I have never priced big Bismarckia, but I have seen ads for huge ones at ridiculously low prices in the RGV. I’m talking a few hundred dollars for 10 feet of trunk. Problem is, you’d have to take a trailer there and back...

And THAT, is the problem... Location is key to local pricing.If it's available from many,multiple sources and grows easily,locally,the price is much cheaper as each merchant is willing to take a little less to make the sale.Here,nothing exotic is grown locally,commercially,so has to be imported into the state.Transportation and handling fees take their toll...plus,if only 1 nursery is willing to make the effort to import,they can put any price they want on it. Doesn't matter what it sells for elsewhere. They have it here and now, and people will and do pay the asking price to have something a little different from everybody else.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

i was able to obtain a Blue camerops 75 cm tall for around 105 usd. For me it sounds like a real steal considering how slow growing they are. what you guys think? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 11:04 PM, aztropic said:

And THAT, is the problem... Location is key to local pricing.If it's available from many,multiple sources and grows easily,locally,the price is much cheaper as each merchant is willing to take a little less to make the sale.Here,nothing exotic is grown locally,commercially,so has to be imported into the state.Transportation and handling fees take their toll...plus,if only 1 nursery is willing to make the effort to import,they can put any price they want on it. Doesn't matter what it sells for elsewhere. They have it here and now, and people will and do pay the asking price to have something a little different from everybody else.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

So.... I just got back from HD and I see that the prices have gone way up. 15 gallon bottle palm was $109 so not too far off your price. I would not pay that price but maybe others will. 

• Like 1

Went to Lowe’s and saw these huge coconuts tied up along the fence. At least 10’ to the top 26 gallon pot and nice trunk already started. $169 which I feel is a good price. It just shows that prices can vary wildly even in the same area.

ACC314E0-4105-488C-BDF9-53CDD385A94F.jpeg

• Like 1