IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Covid-19 Yard Work

WaianaeCrider

Began cleaning an area in the back called "Below Ige" as Mr. Ige was the neighbor on the flats above this area.  Probably been ignored for 15 years.

Pictured are the before, the pile  of palm fronds and the finished area

1-20200517_124129.jpg

2.420200517_165730.jpg

2-20200517_143012.jpg

• Like 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

About 20 years ago I planted three Veitchia arecina and a Livistona chinensis.  They look to be happy now.  Tomorrow I have to upgrade/relocate the irrigation hoses.

3-20200517_143032.jpg

4-.jpg

5-20200517_143047.jpg

6-20200517_143059.jpg

20200517_165824.jpg

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Back to the grind stone today.  Hauled off a lot of dead stuff and cleaned up around my Caryota mitis which was planted around 2000.  It has flowered and of course that part died along w/other shoots.  Re-worked the irrigation which has been in place for 20 years and needs more replacement of emitters.  Gonna go buy some 1/2" poly pipe, connectors and emitters tomorrow to replace that 20 year old stuff.  My terracing work from way back then is becoming visable again.  There is still more to clean and then I'll be able to plant new palms.  I just put in an order to Florabunda for 17, 1 gallon plants.  They should arrive in early June and hopefully I'll have cleared planting areas for them.

8-Caryota mitis-20200518_105648.jpg

9-Caryota mitis-20200518_150556.jpg

10-20200518_150432.jpg

• Like 4

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Put in a few hours yesterday after lunch.  Cleared about 1/2 the "planting" terrace above the one on the left.  BAck when my back was strong I moved a few tons of rocks terracing the hill sides of my 2 acres.  I tried to put a "walking" terrace between the "planting" terraces.

Any way on this terrace the gray palm trunk is from a CARYOTA that I don't remember which that flowered and died about 10 years ago. The two trees right next to it are scrub that will be taken out soon.  Beyond that is what we here call the Fern Tree.  I don't know real name.  It's NOT a fern.  I planted it to provide shade for palms and it's doing that about 15 years after planting.

Beyond that is a palm that grew nice for years and then died.  Probably a water problem as I have not always been good checking the batteries in my water times.  I'll get it's name when I clear it's remains.  I'm pretty sure there is a stamped name tag.

Beyond that I don't think there are any palms on that terrace which means there is room for new planting.  I know there is a verigated Hau there.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=variegated+hau+tree&qpvt=variegated+hau+tree&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1117&ch=518

11-20200520_125434.jpg

12-20200520_142016.jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

On 5/21/2020 at 10:11 AM, WaianaeCrider said:

Put in a few hours yesterday after lunch.  Cleared about 1/2 the "planting" terrace above the one on the left.  BAck when my back was strong I moved a few tons of rocks terracing the hill sides of my 2 acres.  I tried to put a "walking" terrace between the "planting" terraces.

Any way on this terrace the gray palm trunk is from a CARYOTA that I don't remember which that flowered and died about 10 years ago. The two trees right next to it are scrub that will be taken out soon.  Beyond that is what we here call the Fern Tree.  I don't know real name.  It's NOT a fern.  I planted it to provide shade for palms and it's doing that about 15 years after planting.

Beyond that is a palm that grew nice for years and then died.  Probably a water problem as I have not always been good checking the batteries in my water times.  I'll get it's name when I clear it's remains.  I'm pretty sure there is a stamped name tag.

Beyond that I don't think there are any palms on that terrace which means there is room for new planting.  I know there is a verigated Hau there.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=variegated+hau+tree&qpvt=variegated+hau+tree&form=IGRE&first=1&cw=1117&ch=518

11-20200520_125434.jpg

12-20200520_142016.jpg

Finished this terrace.  Now I have to fix up the 20 year old irrigation set up w/new emitters.  Here is a photo of todays work and a panorama taken of pretty much the whole section.  Still lots of scrub trees to remove and plant a bunch of the 1 gallon palms I hope to get from Florabunda in early June.

Middle-3-20200522_142151.jpg

Pan-20200522_143732.jpg

• Like 4

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Looks good! This is the side of gardening in Hawaii people don’t see. It’s not all tropical rainforests 

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

12 hours ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

Looks good! This is the side of gardening in Hawaii people don’t see. It’s not all tropical rainforests 

Mahalo.  Yup my side of the island w/20" of rain in a good year is way different from your Windward Kailua.  I have to  rely on irrigation 100% and have failed in MANY cases to keep up w/that.  I've probably lost 60 palms over the past 22 years due to lack of care.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Just to the right of all the above pictures is another terraced area.  I began in 2005 working the hill side, cutting terraces and hauling in rocks to hold them up.  Most of the rocks under 15 lbs came from off property.  I knew place when rock slides happeded enought to stop by from time totime.  Had to load into truck, the drive truck to say 75 feet of the work area and carry each rock from the tuck by hand.  LOL  I was still in good shape back then at 62.  LOL

First three pictures are construction in 2005

Forth is from 2007 showing some plantings.

Last two are from today's cleaning up the area. 

The highest terrace had 3 palms that are now dead and I'll be planting new ones next month.

The middle terrace has two shade trees, one big DEAD Livistona decora w/7 feet of trunk.  Can't belive I killed it.  And 3 Chamaedorea metallica (there were 5 once).

The lowest terrace has been most successful in keeping plams alive.  Left to right are:

Dypsis decaryi with 8' of trunk

Ptychosperma elegans with 18' of trunk

Dypsis lanceolata with 18' of trunk

Arenga engleri about 5' to top of fronds

Between the D. Lanceolata and the A. engleri was a Kerriodoxa elegans that lived for about 7 years and until today was just a pile of dead fronds.

BackTerrace-03pan1July05-2.JPG

BackTerrace-07pan11July05-3.JPG

BackTerrace-10pan9Aug05-2.JPG

BackTerrace-202707-pan2.JPG

BackTerrace-20200523_092436.jpg

BackTerrace-20200523_145437.jpg

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Here is the Kerriodoxa elegans or what's left of it.  :0(

20200523_124734[1].jpg

20200523_124741[1].jpg

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Clean up in the same general area.  This is to the left of the first posting in this thread.

Started Friday morning took a picture.  Then another at the end of the day and the third at the end of Saturday's work.  Still  not quite done.

TotalTerrace-20200529_110025.jpg

TotalTerrace-20200529_132609.jpg

TotalTerrace-20200530_144729.jpg

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I never would've known having a garden in paradise would be so much work. Thank you for sharing and losing only 60 palms in 22 years actually doesn't sound that bad. I may catch you in half the time haha 

• Like 1

T J 

3 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I never would've known having a garden in paradise would be so much work. Thank you for sharing and losing only 60 palms in 22 years actually doesn't sound that bad. I may catch you in half the time haha 

LOL  I have about 17 one gallon palms coming in maybe next week.  Hope they all live for decades and me to live that log as well.  LOL

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

@WaianaeCrider I'm so close to making a Floribunda order , haven't pulled the trigger since most palms would be destined to my container ranch =/ 

Can't wait to see your order come in and plants get into there new accommodations =) 

T J 

5 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@WaianaeCrider I'm so close to making a Floribunda order , haven't pulled the trigger since most palms would be destined to my container ranch =/ 

Can't wait to see your order come in and plants get into there new accommodations =) 

Go for it.  Here is a picture of some of the palms I bought back in '08

IMGP1894.JPG

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Took a couple of hours w/my chainsaw to get rid of 10 Haole Koa (https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/invweed/WeedsHI/W_Leucaena_leucocephalla.pdf) trees so that my Licuala spinosa and Saribus rotundifolia.  Most of the time was spent moving the cut wood to the "junk pile".  Wish I could figure out how to get the photo I want first to be first.  LOL  Here you get the AFTER and then the BEFORE.

20200605_101508[1].jpg

20200605_090123[1].jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Continuing to reclaim my "yard".  Today I began in the area called the Hawaiian Terraces as there are 3 Pritchardias, one Milo Tree, a few Kukui Nut trees and an Alahe`e (http://hawaiiannativeplants.com/ourplants/alahee/).

There were a few other natives plants that have died off.  About 10 years ago I planted an Arenga micrantha which you can sort of see in about the center of the second picture.  Funny the description says it grows in East Himalaya, and Tibet. 2,000-2,150 m altitude.  And it's doing very well here where the temp never goes below 62*.

Any how over the next few days I'll post some more as I continue to cut down scrub trees, update the irrigation lines and get the ground ready for a few of the Florabunda palms that came in last Wed.

In the "after" picture you can see 3 large rubbish bags full of leaf litter and small twigs.  On the left there is a pile of branches that will be sent to my chipper in a few days.  Hopefully when it's all cleaned up the 3 Pritchardias will show much better.

20200608_141502.jpg

20200609_142333.jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

The center plant of this Hawaiian Terrace area is Pritchardia hardii hidden in the center of the photos in the post above.

The above post showed some clearing on the right of the Pritchardia.  Next day I began clearing in front of it.

Now I have so much cut and haulled away by my chipper/shredder that I have to stop clearing and begin chipping away producing mulch.

20200612_095523.jpg

20200612_112017.jpg

20200612_112038[1].jpg

• Like 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

That’s the biggest pritchardia hardyi I’ve ever seen! And to know they’re so drought tolerant...

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

1 hour ago, krishnaraoji88 said:

That’s the biggest pritchardia hardyi I’ve ever seen! And to know they’re so drought tolerant...

Came from Kapoho Palm maybae 20 years ago.  Not sure if they got names right.  I'm have id problems w/a few others bought from them.  But it seems happy and that's the main thing.  LOL

• Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished another section today.  This is the left hand side of the Hawaiian Terraces.  Raked 2 large rubbish bags full of leaf and other litter and replaced just about all the irrigation hose that had drippers.  Put in new 1/2" poly pipe w/180* sprayers.

HawaiianTerraceLeft20200620_140154.jpg

HawaiianTerraceLeft20200621_144656.jpg

• Like 2

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae