IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Monty, Butia x (Queen x Coronata), and Queen x Coronata

Ben in Norcal

Just got each of these today - all strap leaf, not much to look at!  Anyone growing these/have pics a bit further along?

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 2 weeks later...

I was out watering the other day and noticed my Butia x Coronata - just getting past the strap leaf stage - Kind of has a bluish tinge to the leaflets.  Will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

rod

phoenix, az

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rod said:

I was out watering the other day and noticed my Butia x Coronata - just getting past the strap leaf stage - Kind of has a bluish tinge to the leaflets.  Will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

rod

phoenix, az

Would love to see a pic, when you get a chance, Rod!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Just sent Patrick away last week with pollen from my Monty’s, my coronata, and my xmataforme - so more crosses should be in the works!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Ben Rogers

11 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Please explain ? Sounds cool ! 😎 

T J 

https://www.rarepalmseeds.com/syagrus-x-matafome

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

6 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

BxMonty updates 

T J 

20231105_124536.jpg

20231118_133233.jpg

Lookin good!

I like how the boots look kinda purple. I just received my 2 BxMonty from Patric towards the end of summer this year and they’re still strap leaved. Nice to see what I have to look forward to !

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robbertico18 said:

I like how the boots look kinda purple

It is very cool, still very surprising to me 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

Here is an update on mine. Patrix seemed to think it’s probably pure butia. I’m growing it out to see what it becomes. Any feedback would be appreciated. 59BFB248-E606-422C-80C6-4E3DB5BB9283.jpeg.6883574561bf338b92300fd1dba18d0d.jpeg

Edited by Gallop
  • Like 3

Paul Gallop

P. Schafer Butia Paraguayensis X Monty 3”x3”x8” size & 2 3/8” x 2 3/8” x 5” Liner size:

F83A2227-24BD-4025-AFF7-E1B953BC58DE.jpeg

P. Schafer Butia X Syagrus Coronata/Queen 5G

92BBCADB-068D-4322-9F31-914AF0F027CB.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gallop said:

Here is an update on mine. Patrix seemed to think it’s probably pure butia. I’m growing it out to see what it becomes. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Definitely a beautiful Palm whatever it is Paul, here fixed the pic for ya:

2BD99F7A-CC9E-4481-B42E-4C1601514CA1.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Definitely a beautiful Palm whatever it is Paul, here fixed the pic for ya:

2BD99F7A-CC9E-4481-B42E-4C1601514CA1.jpeg

Dan, Thank you for the reply and for fixing the picture. I greatly appreciate it!

• Like 1

Paul Gallop

On 11/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Please explain ? Sounds cool ! 😎 

T J 

I have a Syagrus matafome as well. Mine’s been a slow but steady grower over the years, a natural hybrid between S. vagans and S. coronata.

IMG_4638.thumb.jpeg.2642be01d32366c49c20cf3a66d34afa.jpeg

• Like 5

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

9 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I have a Syagrus matafome as well.

Very cool Jim , it will be interesting to see how this new Patric hybrid does. 

T J 

T J