IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hawaiian shirts

Darold Petty

• 2 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 2:21 PM, Darold Petty said:

I favor a SoCal brand called 'Paradise Found',  their shirts are 100% rayon,  the most traditional fabric,  with bamboo buttons.  :D

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/history-hawaiian-shirt-180974598/

Thanks for the link! It was a fun read. I feel like my entire life could use an Aloha shirt right about now. :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the distant middle ages, (1970s) I used to buy them at thrift shops -- the old kind of rayon that felt almost silky but had weight to it, so they draped nicely from your shoulders. Paired them with white button up US Navy sailor pants also from the thrift shop, tied the shirttails at the waist. Back when I had a small waist and went barefoot, long hair flowing down my back. (feeling wistful for days gone by)

There is a special feeling when you put on a tropical print shirt or dress; timeless!

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dang Kim, why didn't we meet when you were dressed like that !  :winkie:   (don't tell Bo !)

San Francisco, California

LOL! :lol:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Ha, I heard that! :D And talking about Hawaiian shirts, here's my own fun (and now sentimental) story. Way back in 1966 when I lived in Sweden, I was on an eight week trip around the USA and also managed a side trip to Honolulu. Figured I should buy a gift for my Dad (NOT easy) and in a moment of obvious temporary insanity I decided on one of those really colorful Hawaiian shirts that are now back in fashion (I think :mrlooney: ). Well, needless to say, my Dad being the kind of guy he was AND living in Sweden where a middle aged man wouldn't get caught dead in anything more colorful than light beige never wore the shirt.  Some 20 years later on one of my visits to Sweden he brought out the Hawaiian shirt I had given him in 1966 and said to me "you know, I really appreciated this shirt but as you probably know, I never wore it, so you can have it back!" :D

• Like 3

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm