IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Sabal Minor Seedling

Tennessee Palms

A couple days ago I noticed the leaf on my Sabal Minor seedling has been taking off. To me it seemed like it grew about half an inch or so however when I looked back at a Facebook post from November I realized how much it has grown and I'm surprised to see that it slowly pushed out way more than I thought.  The picture of it sitting in water is the November picture and the other one is from a few days ago. received_715880279158863.thumb.jpeg.4f7c50c8e91df0fe2ccb61cd914103fd.jpeg

FB_IMG_1589605545822.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Hope it takes off for you and produces seeds.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

They can grow pretty fast.  In 3 years it will be big.

• Like 2

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Hope it takes off for you and produces seeds.

Yeah me too, I grew from seeds that I collected at an abandoned gas station last summer.  I have a bunch more in the ground which I noticed they grew significantly but I don't have any pictures from the time of planting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allen said:

They can grow pretty fast.  In 3 years it will be big.

Once they get onto producing the third leaf they seem to explode in growth. 

Part of my property is a swampy area near a stream.  Over 10 yrs ago I planted needle palms and dwarf palmettos in the swampy area and now they're growing everywhere.  When yours produces seeds they will spread like crazy.  Dwarf palmettos grow naturally in many  swampy areas here in east/central SC, but I think my swamp is the best. Lol!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, donnacreation said:

Part of my property is a swampy area near a stream.  Over 10 yrs ago I planted needle palms and dwarf palmettos in the swampy area and now they're growing everywhere.  When yours produces seeds they will spread like crazy.  Dwarf palmettos grow naturally in many  swampy areas here in east/central SC, but I think my swamp is the best. Lol!

Man, you did exactly what Im doing right now... That's absolutely awesome!

20200519_194448.thumb.jpg.7ed43346aea8b0a37dd5718fe005449b.jpg

On 5/16/2020 at 12:17 AM, Tennessee Palms said:

A couple days ago I noticed the leaf on my Sabal Minor seedling has been taking off. To me it seemed like it grew about half an inch or so however when I looked back at a Facebook post from November I realized how much it has grown and I'm surprised to see that it slowly pushed out way more than I thought.  The picture of it sitting in water is the November picture and the other one is from a few days ago. received_715880279158863.thumb.jpeg.4f7c50c8e91df0fe2ccb61cd914103fd.jpeg

FB_IMG_1589605545822.jpg

Well this wasn't here yesterday

Edited by Tennessee Palms
Accidentally forgot to include image
  • Like 1

Second leaf??

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa