Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tank

North Florida Cold Hardy Palms

Recommended Posts

Fusca
On 5/15/2020 at 11:16 AM, tank said:

I have tried W. filifera a couple times but they end up being unhappy and ultimately die.  Probably a mix of nutrient deficiency and humid/rainy weather.  I probably should try again....

Jason, let me know if you want to try again with some filifera-dominant filibusta seeds.  Got several fruiting trees near me.  Love the garden pics!  :greenthumb:

Jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
buffy

Tank: What's the word on Tim Hopper? Is he still around? I know things went south on here with him, but I'm still wondering how is doing. I have a nice triple hybrid of his. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tank
On 6/9/2020 at 9:27 AM, buffy said:

Tank: What's the word on Tim Hopper? Is he still around? I know things went south on here with him, but I'm still wondering how is doing. I have a nice triple hybrid of his. 

I don't really know.  I think he still lives in St. Augustine but I haven't heard from him since he dropped out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tank
On 6/8/2020 at 8:12 PM, Fusca said:

Jason, let me know if you want to try again with some filifera-dominant filibusta seeds.  Got several fruiting trees near me.  Love the garden pics!  :greenthumb:

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the offer.  I've got a couple of Filibustas in the yard, although I didn't take any pics of those.  I'll let you know on the seeds.  Right now I can barely take care of the plants that I have in pots, much less take on any new ones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tank
On 6/6/2020 at 12:15 PM, necturus said:

A little late, but how long has the Parajubea sunkha been in the ground? How do you water it in the summer time?

The P. sunkha has been in the ground for about 5 or so years.  I never water it.  I do fertilize once a year.  It has been a slow grower for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tank
On 6/8/2020 at 1:50 PM, ruskinPalms said:

Fantastic garden! Have you tried Dypsis decipiens or Pseudophoenix sargentii? I think both would appreciate the fast draining sandy soil and both are supposed to be fairly cold hardy. I know the Dypsis has been a big fail for most in Florida but it looks like you know what you are doing! :greenthumb:

Unfortunately, even with the warm past 9 years, we've still experienced a night or two every year nearly at or just below 20F.  That will kill or severely damage both of these palms.  Also, D. decipiens is a challenge.  I don't think drainage is the only challenge.  Nematodes are supposedly a major problem for these palms as well.  My soil has nematodes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

My Butia x Parajubaea sunkha has been in the ground for 3-4 years.  I know I have heard the expression/saying 1st year sleeps, 2nd year creeps and 3rd year leaps, well I don't think this applies to this hybrid, mine is tiny maybe only 3 and some change feet tall, although it has done more this year than previous by far, on its second frond but is painfully slow, and has more Butia coloration.

IMG_4100.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RJ
9 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

My Butia x Parajubaea sunkha has been in the ground for 3-4 years.  I know I have heard the expression/saying 1st year sleeps, 2nd year creeps and 3rd year leaps, well I don't think this applies to this hybrid, mine is tiny maybe only 3 and some change feet tall, although it has done more this year than previous by far, on its second frond but is painfully slow, and has more Butia coloration.

IMG_4100.jpg

That looks a lot like my BxPJc.  Probably the same age too... :unsure:

Edited by RJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

So I have one of these also, it had bad root in the crown, hydrogen peroxide has taken care of it and the frizzle top frond has pushed out and a brand new normal spear is doing good and will hopefully be open here in the next few weeks  My only concern on the BxPJc is there are very fine spins.hooks on the petioles, so I have myself second guessing if its just a Butia, its not very green either.  I know there is great deal of variation in all hybrids or straight up pure palms.  I got both from Patric and I have never gotten something which wasn't the real deal from him. Does anyone else notice fine little sharp spines on the petioles of this hybrid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr
On 5/15/2020 at 12:16 PM, tank said:

I have tried W. filifera a couple times but they end up being unhappy and ultimately die.  Probably a mix of nutrient deficiency and humid/rainy weather.  I probably should try again....

When you planted these, what was the siting like as far as light and soil medium?  I'm having decent luck with the ones I got from the Moapa Valley as well as the two I got from @TexasColdHardyPalms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8B palms

They get sun until about 2:30 in the afternoon. I added organic s to the soil as basically in this part of Florida it's basically sand, it's on a drip irrigation in the winter when it's our dry season. The summer we usually get good downpours, if it's dry I can turn on the drip irrigation. My dwarf sugar palm, regular queen, Tracey princeps and 3 mule palms and regular Butia are all doing fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

Spoke with Dr. John Rossi (see garden here if you haven't already) yesterday and asked him if he was having any luck with his Washingtonia filifera.  He said he was after putting some barriers up to keep rodents away.  In my case, my biggest pest has been some kind of caterpillar that likes to much on the new growth.  If you're in North Central Florida and having issues growing this palm, Dr. John might have some good pointers for you since he is having success and has a somewhat similar climate regime.

Down this far, I get a few that aren't happy in full sun for whatever reason.  As an example, the two I purchased from North Texas Cold Hardy Palms were planted originally in full sun in the front yard.  They were languishing and declining, getting "the yellows" whether we had rain or not and down to one healthy frond each.  I figured I was going to lose them anyway, so I dug them up and moved them to the back under the edge of my live oak canopy in a spot half way down a slight grade in my yard.  Both are making a comeback and have 3 healthy fronds plus another spear coming.  It's odd that they would make a comeback in part day sun after growing in a pot in full sun, but I'll take it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve in Florida
5 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Spoke with Dr. John Rossi (see garden here if you haven't already) yesterday and asked him if he was having any luck with his Washingtonia filifera.  He said he was after putting some barriers up to keep rodents away.  In my case, my biggest pest has been some kind of caterpillar that likes to much on the new growth.  If you're in North Central Florida and having issues growing this palm, Dr. John might have some good pointers for you since he is having success and has a somewhat similar climate regime.

Down this far, I get a few that aren't happy in full sun for whatever reason.  As an example, the two I purchased from North Texas Cold Hardy Palms were planted originally in full sun in the front yard.  They were languishing and declining, getting "the yellows" whether we had rain or not and down to one healthy frond each.  I figured I was going to lose them anyway, so I dug them up and moved them to the back under the edge of my live oak canopy in a spot half way down a slight grade in my yard.  Both are making a comeback and have 3 healthy fronds plus another spear coming.  It's odd that they would make a comeback in part day sun after growing in a pot in full sun, but I'll take it.

It's likely that area has more organic matter due to the live oaks which helps to hold potassium longer in sandy soil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tank

As an update, my wife and I sold this house a couple months ago.  Hopefully the new owners will continue to take care of the plants.

We moved into a new house in Gainesville, and while the new place has less palms than the old, it has a BUNCH of cycads and other cool plants.  I am currently tying to figure out where to plant some of the palms I brought with me into a very mature and very crowded garden....

Started a thread on the main forum as I also have a large palm with ganoderma at the new house and wanted to get some input on this as I have never had a palm get this disease/fungus.

 

Edited by tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • teddytn
      By teddytn
      I love PalmTalk! But not gonna lie, I sometimes have trouble finding a space to post certain things I have going on. Probably need to start a blog, but eh nah lol, we’ll go with this! 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Pretty sure this is squirrel damage...

      I noticed several fronds drooping and thought it a natural shed and this was part of the process, but the “ shed” was painfully asymmetrical. Upon closer inspection, I found this! It gnawed the underside of the petiole, thus causing the collapse.

      Tell you what, squirrel pot pie sounds great about now. The symmetry of my palm is being ruined. It hasn’t hit the upper third...yet but I’m sending out a dinner alert for all those red tailed hawks that are visiting for the winter. Honestly, of all the things that could happen...mulling splint supports...maybe a baffle (which should really add to the beauty of my palm) any other suggestions?
    • Zoltan
      By Zoltan
      I see some people say Dypsis Lucentes usda zone 10 and up.I disasagree with that at least here in Florida.
      In St Augustine by Aligator farm entrance you can see many of them.I talked to the zoo and they told me they planted them maybe 15 yrs ago as 5-7 gallons by now they are tall maybe 12 feet or more.You can see them from A1A. But also you see some in downtown around the belive or not.This is usda zone 9a .But if this is not enough,I live in Jacksonville at oceanway which is east of 95 ,we have on Pulaski rd zip code 32218 by church for minimum 10 yrs  about 10 -12 feet tall. planted right by entrance the wall.  And if this is still not enough at Jacksonville Airport at Hilton has at pool backside of the building w/o any protection beside it planted right by the building.So I think if you place it on sunny side and close to building it can tolarete all the way to Jacksonville. I don’t have any idea about 8b zone like west of Nort Florida or Ga …Also I know a person listed close to Jacksonville airport she planted a Dypsis decaying “ triangle palm “ back in 1990 right by her house.It’s made it eversince and it’s way taller than her house.She protected at beginning heat pad etc .She has some photo at palmtalk . I have 2 of them I never heated them ,but covered however I can’t cover anymore they are out of reach .Over 12 feet or so.I got them from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago.Even leaves get touched they come back nicely.Mine not planted by house but by fence and it get early sun till late afternoon sun…

    • Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      I've been thinking of planting one soon.  and like to know if anyone else has any experience with them in the PNW? Good or Bad results. 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Are there distinguishing characteristics for this Trachy? I’ve read they have thicker trunks and bright yellow tips on their more rigid leaf segments?
×
×
  • Create New...