IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who has grown Nypa fruticans from seed?

Plantasexoticas

Hi everyone (maybe crazy considering my climate!) but I’m giving Nypa fruticans a go from germinated seed. I have a small heated greenhouse when I can start them off (though eventually if all goes well I’ll have to say goodbye to them as they get bigger. 
I remember seeing a lovely clump in a glasshouse here and thought they were such a unique palm. 

I have read many older threads on here about people attempting to grow them but is there anyone currently trying? 

James 

17A8FADB-C091-471C-A48E-EBA56B2B8F87.jpeg

3110201F-E458-408B-8160-B1AB48231780.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Pot with holes, in the summer outdoors in a tank, in winter in a heated greenhouse on a saucer full of water:

Nypa01.jpg

Nypa02.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

26 minutes ago, pietropuccio said:

Pot with holes, in the summer outdoors in a tank, in winter in a heated greenhouse on a saucer full of water:

Nypa01.jpg

Nypa02.jpg

Love the contrast between the palms and the lilies. 

how long have you had it? And what soil do you use? 

I have been growing one in my koi pond for the past ten years. I germinated five seeds and ended up with just one. Even in my climate they are slow ( a good thing IMO).

Mine germinated in normal potting mix that I kept moist ( not soaking wet).

• Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

23 minutes ago, Really full garden said:

I have been growing one in my koi pond for the past ten years. I germinated five seeds and ended up with just one. Even in my climate they are slow ( a good thing IMO).

Mine germinated in normal potting mix that I kept moist ( not soaking wet).

Thank you! I have no problem with them being slow as long as they stay alive. 

I saw your Nypa on an older thread, do you have. Current picture? 

also do you know why the other 4 did not make it? 

James 

5 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

how long have you had it? And what soil do you use? 

Since 5 years. Red soil of my garden.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

2 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Thank you! I have no problem with them being slow as long as they stay alive. 

I saw your Nypa on an older thread, do you have. Current picture? 

also do you know why the other 4 did not make it? 

James 

Taken just now. It formed two growth points two years ago. Overall it’s about 2 m tall .

10016482-0947-49C3-8B7B-2486A626B2A3.thumb.jpeg.1f0fa7362f431dfe0ffd2642841f15b1.jpeg

The seeds just rotted.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

24 minutes ago, Really full garden said:

Taken just now. It formed two growth points two years ago. Overall it’s about 2 m tall .

10016482-0947-49C3-8B7B-2486A626B2A3.thumb.jpeg.1f0fa7362f431dfe0ffd2642841f15b1.jpeg

The seeds just rotted.

Thank you for sharing! Looks great in the water surrounded by water lilies  

That's cool I thought about growing one in my turtle pond my wife thought I was a bit crazy but that's nothing new.  How long did it take to germinate and do you know the low temperature it can handle. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, akamu said:

That's cool I thought about growing one in my turtle pond my wife thought I was a bit crazy but that's nothing new.  How long did it take to germinate and do you know the low temperature it can handle. 

Fortunately it seems they can germinate while still attached to the mother plant so I didn’t have to wait for germination, they had germinated before I got them. 

temperature wise I’m not sure how tolerant they are so I’ll be keeping them in tropical (or close to) temperatures as much as possible. 

We’ve had some very warm weather here so I ordered the seeds but just before they arrived we had a surprise cold spell where night time temperatures went down close to freezing! I don’t know how cold the germinated seeds would of got but hopefully not cold enough to cause an lasting damage. I just planted out more tender plants (bananas and Brugmansias) but fortunately it didn’t get cold enough in my region to damage them and they seem fine 

All the best growing them in the uk. If you build a tall hothouse they may never really out grow it. The leaves can get long but they don’t tend to get a trunk as far as I remember. 

On a side note Nypa pollen has been found in the Thames. But the climate has changed a bit since they graced the banks of the Thames. With all the mudflats at low tide you can imagine Nypa liking the Thames if the climate was right.

• Like 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

9 hours ago, Tyrone said:

All the best growing them in the uk. If you build a tall hothouse they may never really out grow it. The leaves can get long but they don’t tend to get a trunk as far as I remember. 

On a side note Nypa pollen has been found in the Thames. But the climate has changed a bit since they graced the banks of the Thames. With all the mudflats at low tide you can imagine Nypa liking the Thames if the climate was right.

Hello Tyrone, and thanks for the input. Yes Nypa growing in the Thames would be an incredible sight! Just have to cover a section of it in a giant biome! 

I had read that fossilised nuts of Nypa have been found here on the southern coast. 

If any of them do well then I can just keep expanding their growing environment as they get bigger. It is still very early days but one has already shown new root growth in just a couple of day. A neighbour of mine is planning to build a hot house so I’ve mentioned to him that they could continue growing in there for a while 

Edited by Plantasexoticas

Promising start for some of the Nypa nuts, fresh green growth and small amount of roots produced on some - hopefully this continues 

I think one of them may of had it, it didn’t look great on delivery but I haven’t given up on it 

7AE085C4-2508-4735-9B76-6F34EC2F5038.jpeg

F33D17AE-B708-4923-80CF-21D720AF988E.jpeg

Edited by Plantasexoticas

• 2 years later...