IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bacterial? Fungus? Or other reasons?

Yi

Hey guys,

I met a super difficult situation.

I plant some peach palms in the Southwest of China,some of them are in the pots.

One week ago,the leaves of the seedlings have turned to white,in another word,lost their green. 

First,the situation would be found in the sub new leaf,I mean,not the newest leaf.

Then,the newest leaf would be dead,the connection between the root and the stem is completely rotten.

I had thought maybe it was Bacterial or Fungus,so I used Kasugamycin and Pyraclostrobin.but the situation seemd not be improved.

More and more seedlings begun to show the situation.

I never saw this before,it seems that I could do nothing to stop the disaster.I give the suficient water and fertilizer,use the “drug”,but still too bad.

Have you seen this situation before?

微信图片_20200515144946.jpg

微信图片_20200515144959.jpg

微信图片_20200515145003.jpg

微信图片_20200515145006.jpg

微信图片_20200515145009.jpg

微信图片_20200515145013.jpg

微信图片_20200515145016.jpg

微信图片_20200515145020.jpg

微信图片_20200515145023.jpg

I think Gerg has a point.  I would look to your cultural practices.  Too much sun?  Too much fertilizer?  Not enough air circulation?

After the initial damage, I think you are having secondary problems take advantage of the conditions.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Looks like sun bleaching.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Sorry can't help with the palms, but are you in Xishuangbanna? Beautiful area...the botanical garden looks amazing too 

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looks like sun bleaching.

I agree with Meg, but it's hard to say, not knowing all the background information.  To Jerry's point, we need to know how you have been growing these palms.   What are your growing conditions?  

Growing conditions:

Climate

Soil

Sun exposure

Watering Schedule

Fertilizer Type

Fertilizer Schedule

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

They look like they have been shadehouse grown then put into more sun than they are used too and also dried out a bit too much in the process. That’s what my first impressions are. Sun damage is in there. Maybe not the whole picture though.

• Like 2

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

At first glance I thought maybe sun damage as well, but I think she said even new growth was growing whitish.

I looked at this link and it looks very similar to what @Alicehunter2000 showed as over fertilizing damage to his A. Wrightii.

I'm certainly no expert on this but it just looks different than standard sun burn.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/12594-death-by-fertilizer/#comment-215396

Scroll down to his pics of A. Wrightii seedlings.

Edited by The Gerg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, The Gerg said:

At first glance I thought maybe sun damage as well, but I think she said even new growth was growing whitish.

I looked at this link and it looks very similar to what @Alicehunter2000 showed as over fertilizing damage to his A. Wrightii.

I'm certainly no expert on this but it just looks different than standard sun burn.

https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/12594-death-by-fertilizer/#comment-215396

Scroll down to his pics of A. Wrightii seedlings.

Hey Gerg,thank you so much for your kindness.

I think it is not the sun burn,because I cultivated them in  same condition for a period,it was no problem in the past.

And the special point is the symptom showed on the sub-new leaf, not the newest,not the oldest.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:28 AM, Xenon said:

Sorry can't help with the palms, but are you in Xishuangbanna? Beautiful area...the botanical garden looks amazing too 

Hi Xenon,yes,I am in Xishuangbanna,your guess was right! Have you been here before?

On 5/19/2020 at 7:21 AM, Tyrone said:

They look like they have been shadehouse grown then put into more sun than they are used too and also dried out a bit too much in the process. That’s what my first impressions are. Sun damage is in there. Maybe not the whole picture though.

Thank you Tyrone,my confuse is the symptom showed on the sub-new leaf,not the newest,not the old leaf,and the whole seedling would be die

On 5/18/2020 at 8:37 PM, Jerry@TreeZoo said:

I think Gerg has a point.  I would look to your cultural practices.  Too much sun?  Too much fertilizer?  Not enough air circulation?

After the initial damage, I think you are having secondary problems take advantage of the conditions.

Jerry,thank you! I use the 19-19-19 fertilizer,as usual,but I never saw the symptom before,the air and the sun are as usual also.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:29 AM, joe_OC said:

I agree with Meg, but it's hard to say, not knowing all the background information.  To Jerry's point, we need to know how you have been growing these palms.   What are your growing conditions?  

Growing conditions:

Climate

Soil

Sun exposure

Watering Schedule

Fertilizer Type

Fertilizer Schedule

Hi Joe,

In China,I am in Xishuangbanna.Xishuangbanna has a tropical monsoon climate with abundant sunshine and abundant rainfall. The dry season and wet season are within one year, and the annual average temperature is 21 °C. The dry season is from November to April, and the warm season is from May to October. There is no frost and snow all year round. The foggy day is 108-146 days. In the coldest January, the average temperature here is 16 °C.

I used the 19-19-19 fertilizer,more or less 2 grams for each seedling.one time per month.

19-19-19 is a strong fertilizer. It would be easy to burn a seedling even if you only use a tiny amount. It would be much better to use a weak fertilizer more frequently. Seedlings do not typically require much fertilizer anyway.

• Like 1

When did you start fertilizing?  Fertilizer slow  release or Instant?  If all your growing parameters are consistent, I would look into fertilizer more.  Fungal or bacterial would show the damage progressing on the fronds.  This looks like a one time burn.  The damage is even across.

• Like 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

That is fungal, do some good rounds of Dithane M45 soakings. You are likely to loose many, as most fungicides are more preventatives than actual treatments. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 7:48 PM, Johnny Palmseed said:

19-19-19 is a strong fertilizer. It would be easy to burn a seedling even if you only use a tiny amount. It would be much better to use a weak fertilizer more frequently. Seedlings do not typically require much fertilizer anyway.

Hi Johnny,

I used Water-soluble fertilizer,it means although I used 19-19-19,but I use less with more water than normal fertilizer,

On 6/4/2020 at 7:32 AM, SWFLchris said:

That is fungal, do some good rounds of Dithane M45 soakings. You are likely to loose many, as most fungicides are more preventatives than actual treatments. 

Yes Chris,I have learnt the preventative now,because I had not wanted use the fungicide before

On 6/3/2020 at 9:07 PM, joe_OC said:

When did you start fertilizing?  Fertilizer slow  release or Instant?  If all your growing parameters are consistent, I would look into fertilizer more.  Fungal or bacterial would show the damage progressing on the fronds.  This looks like a one time burn.  The damage is even across.

Hi Joe,

I used Water-soluble fertilizer,now I think maybe it is a kindlof fungal