IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Majesty Palm

ElaineB

My cousin gave me her majesty palm because she couldn’t keep it happy. I wouldn’t have gotten one myself because I know they are difficult, but now here I am. I live in upstate NY, USA, so the climate isn’t great. Summers are good but that’s the only ideal season.

I repotted the palm in semihydro/leca, and I pruned off a bunch of bad areas. I placed in between a West and an East facing window with a grow light on it, about 12 inches above it. I have a humidifier on it all day. And am about to do my fourth and last spidermite treatment (water, peppermint castile soap, and a little cooking oil.)

it is growing new water roots, so it seems to be happy with the semihydro. It came with three new spikes, one of which is beginning to open. The other fronds are beginning to look dry however. I don’t think it is possible that it is getting too much light from the grow bulb as the area directly under that looks ok. Is this part of the normal cycle? Should I prune it back more, or would that be detrimental to the plant? Any advice or suggestions of other things I could do for it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Elaine

37606F93-EBAA-41DB-B871-24CE1C8F2EA5.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by ElaineB
Adding a phot
  • Like 1

never ever let that dry out. These love both water and fertilizer, I doubt it's getting to much light. They can take full FL sun given ample water.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Thank you! I don’t think it is too dry, but there may be a transition period as it gets use to the leca. Have you ever heard of anyone growing the majesty palm that way?

It’s possible that the roots are suffocating as well they say they need tons of water but you can root rot a majesty in a pot espescialy is the soil doesn’t drain. Well

• Like 1

The roots shouldn’t be suffocating. Because they are in leca, there is a lot for space of oxygen.

9668F5C5-3B46-485A-A096-28EE9ACE4251.jpeg

Edited by ElaineB
Typo

4 hours ago, ElaineB said:

The roots shouldn’t be suffocating. Because they are in leca, there is a lot for space of oxygen.

9668F5C5-3B46-485A-A096-28EE9ACE4251.jpeg

Does that leka retain much moisture? Looks like water would just drain right out. Majesty palms are riparian plants and need constantly moist/wet soil. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It does drain right through, but the outer container stays 1/3 full with water. The leca is porous so it wicks the water up to the roots. Sometimes the roots grow down into the water, but for the most part they are right above the water level. 

18 hours ago, ElaineB said:

It does drain right through, but the outer container stays 1/3 full with water. The leca is porous so it wicks the water up to the roots. Sometimes the roots grow down into the water, but for the most part they are right above the water level. 

Well Ravenea rivularis like a thoroughly wet soil so I’m not sure yours is in the kind of soil conditions that it needs to stay healthy. Their native habitat is along river banks and they are often spotted growing with partially submerged trunks.  

• Like 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Growing in pebbles is like growing hydroponics you will have to dose fertilizer when you water since there’s no soil to absorb nutrients 

These will need actual soil to grow really well, but like others have said make sure it drains fairly well. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmTreeDude

• 1 month later...

How's your majesty palm doing these days? I repotted my plant into LECA earlier this year and had the same exact problem you did --the fronds look exactly like yours in the pic. It didn't make it out alive :crying: I really want to try again, but have been afraid to do so.