IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Lipstick Palms South Florida

PJP

Hello Palmers

Curious to know if anyone has had success in planting Lipsticks in the ground in South Florida.  I have a good location out of wind and sun which should work.  I can also shelter them in that location from cold and hurricanes.  I’m tired of moving these around my patio but I don’t want to lose them if potting is best.

DA11C7A5-74E5-4699-B611-DA13C155834F.jpeg

• Upvote 2

They do fine in the Keys (as long as the don't come into contact with saltwater!) and I believe there are places on barrier islands such as Miami Beach that are success stories. But try not to plant them in the ground...plant them in water, hopefully good and muddy down below. They grow naturally in peat swamps. You can control temps with a pond or aquarium heater during the winter, make sure the stem-bases are underwater and even if the tops are hurt or even killed, they can regenerate from the roots. You will probably see tropics-style growth speeds that way as well. Best option is to try to find the (much hardier and less fussy) hybrid...but good luck...they have been off the market for some time now.

• Upvote 2

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Thank you. I can create the swamp conditions with a pond liner and excavator. 

Searle Brothers had the hybrids earlier this year. Here is a picture of a large one. 

0E5F398A-9258-48BB-9887-3C9DF1F09543.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I live in the Keys and planted one of mine in a large trash can sunk in the ground. No holes were drilled in the can. It gets sun for about half the day. It is growing at a really good rate.  

863983A4-3ADE-4A21-AB8B-75167BCBB121.jpeg

• Upvote 2

That is beautiful.  Do you dig it up in the trashcan in the winter to protect it?  Does it require that in the Keys?  Or is that so the soil stays more wet with the trashcan around it?

I'm surprised you can dig a hole deep enough to fit a trash can.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

6 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

I live in the Keys and planted one of mine in a large trash can sunk in the ground. No holes were drilled in the can. It gets sun for about half the day. It is growing at a really good rate.  

863983A4-3ADE-4A21-AB8B-75167BCBB121.jpeg

How long has that been in the can in the ground like that? I'm curious as I've used that type of set up for other plants and over time they begin to deteriorate. Always assumed that's because the water deep down stagnates and becomes anaerobic. There's no effective circulation. In nature water always moves through the soil, even below streams and swamps. There is some degree of circulation. Last year I managed to completely drain out one container and flush the soil. This year the plant flourished after having been near dead for a number of years.

• Upvote 1

Hi

If you search the Forum you will find several people in the Miami-Fort Lauderdale that have large Cyrtostachys renda growing in the ground in carefully selected sites. I believe (but am not sure) that a few of them even survived the 2010 winter. . . . 

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I live in Golden Beach, a barrier island, in extreme North East Miami -Date county.  I am located in growing zone 10B-11. I have successful grown my lipstick palm from a seed to a 13 foot tall tree. It is located in a 100 gallon pot in Full Sun in a wind sheltered location.  It prefers an acidic soil with plenty of peat moss. It successfully survived a temperature of 41 degrees F in January of 2020 with only minimal damage.  It needs to be watered everyday and I also apply a fungicide in December,  January , and February. I used to bring it indoors anytime the temperature went below 58 degrees but that is no longer an option given its large size. On very cold nights I water the soil around the base with water heated to 140 degrees. I also have an outdoor oscillating heater as well as some old fashion incandescent lightbulbs which I place near the tree to throw off some additional heat.  My heater broke on the night that the temperature feel to 41 degrees in January 2020 and the tree survived just fine. By Gregg L. Friedman MD

Edited by Gregg L. Friedman MD
  • Like 2

I have thought about planting mine in the ground but it is doing so well in the 100 gallon pot that I am afraid to replant it.  Also, we have an issue in Golden Beach with salt water intrusion due to the low ground elevation.  By Gregg L. Friedman MD

I buried a 500 gallon KOI pond and I have four 25 gallon Lipsticks in it.  I also added a aquarium heater, a submersible pump to move the water and automated mister that turns on at high temps.  They seem to love it.  I was concerned about keeping them fully submersed in water but I haven’t seen any issues since I put them in about 2 months ago.  I guess time will tell.

Patrick, it sounds like you made the right choice, and you should have some big, beautiful palms before too long. I think if the water is moving/recirculating, and if you have some life in the pond to keep an ecosystem going with some level of oxygenation, that is the best way to go. As far as Joe (on Big Pine)'s decision, I think he may have sunk the trashcan to avoid saltwater intrusion, but I very much agree with Zig that the anaerobic/stagnant water idea is going to end in the death of a plant with no circulation. It's unavoidable, really. It is worth designing a focal-point pond-feature with some sort of recirculating fountain/pump because a well-grown plant is really something and will get the oohs and aahs from visitors to your garden.

As far as temperature, my C. renda on Big Pine went through a quick 48F one morning with no damage whatsoever. I had it planted on a mound due to the fact that I am not about to break my back going into that cap-rock, and also even in the absence of hurricane inundation the freshwater lens on Big Pine can go somewhat brackish under certain circumstances. And I had been warned by someone on Summerland Key who lost a bunch of palms in the inundation of either Georges or Wilma that C. renda is extremely sensitive to saltwater intrusion. My good-sized plant grew beautifully in that mound, though it was somewhat slow because I didn't water it that much (and water does noticeably speed up the growth rate in my own observation).

My hybrid (which I got from Jeff Searle, and which was also planted in a raised bed) was much, much more vigorous, and I really had to do nothing for it, and it soared to some height. A really gorgeous thing, and I actually preferred it to renda, the crownshaft/trunk colors were amazing. When Hurricane Irma dished out the 4-5' of saltwater for a solid day, the renda blackened immediately. Not so with the hybrid, which eventually did die but it took 18 months for it to fade away. I'm sure if I had thoroughly and continuously flushed the area through with freshwater it could have survived, but I was overwhelmed with a completely trashed half-acre landscape and a lot of things just languished. I don't know how tolerant the hybrid is of a waterborne existence, but I think the best C. renda I have seen, both in life and in photos, are generally growing in ponds or boggy areas, and that's worth doing if you're going to plunk down the $$$ required to buy one or more of these.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I planted mine in the warmest spot, SE corner. It got to be 20’ tall and upon an expected 40F night I wrapped it as much as I could and placed a small space heater on low at its base.

I was so upset I cooked it. Burnt and collapsed. 

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

3 minutes ago, TikiRick said:

I planted mine in the warmest spot, SE corner. It got to be 20’ tall and upon an expected 40F night I wrapped it as much as I could and placed a small space heater on low at its base.

I was so upset I cooked it. Burnt and collapsed. 

Ouch, that's awful! It didn't ever try to come back from the roots?

Michael Norell

No, pure toast.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Wow. I wonder what sort of damage it would have taken if you had just left it at the wrappings. I sort of have a feeling they can take a brief whack to about 40 but I've always assumed that if you kept it wet at the base that might help mitigate any fatality, since normally the cold is brief and the next day is decently warm in southeast Florida. I'm sure the hybrid is the better choice for the peninsula anyway...and personally I prefer it. Plus it is much faster than the species. Did you by chance try one of those in its place? And aren't you on a canal, Rick? I would think they would do great where you are. In fact I think Jeff S. has told me his (in the ground) has done quite well and he's well inland.

Michael Norell

Yes, I’m in the warmest spot in Broward, and possibly in the country. I have water on three sides. 
I have not had the opportunity to buy a hybrid yet. However, another two issues is salt water intrusion over my sea wall and ganoderma. Life goes on.....

• Upvote 1

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

I planted one at my mothers house in Naples . It was up against the brick house where the ac was dripping constantly. It was still there when she sold the house 3 -4 years later. I truly believe they could make it but planting time(early summer) and location is key. 

• 2 years later...

I moved my lipstick palm into the ground about 2 years ago. It is now 18 feet tall and about 4-5 feet wide. It is doing well but the only thing I am curious about is that it has not produced any seeds. I fertilize on a regular basis. Does anyone have any suggestions on why my lipstick palm is not producing seeds?  

North of the old Monkey Jungle March 1, 2023:

64C94974-67BC-4485-B197-8C1F4F288B09.thumb.jpeg.e08389d8f845086d08841d4ce3758adb.jpeg

What you look for is what is looking

Keith, do you by chance have a low temp for that renda you picture in South Miami, or at least it’s vicinity?

• Like 1

Michael Norell

Michael,

The Old Monkey Jungle to which I refer is the one created by Addison Mizner in PB before 1920! This is not about Miami.

My neighbor’s Lipstick Palm easily managed a winter low temperature this year of 43°F. As you know, in this area, we are extremely close to the Gulfstream (2 miles) and our temperatures during the winter are comparable to Miami Beach. This was an exceptionally warm winter, with median temperatures for December, January and February all above 70°F.

My neighbor is a wonderful 93 year old lady, who is not a Palm person. When I pulled up and spoke with her about her Lipstick Palm, indigenous to Borneo, she found it quite interesting but still not at the top of her list. She looked me in the eye sincerely and told me “nice car”! What a hoot!

What you look for is what is looking