IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Palm

mxcolin

We visited Hawaii last year where my daughter and I fell in love with the Coconut Palms. She's really getting into Palms and when we saw one in a local nursery we couldn't resist getting it. Now, I know this might be a fools errand (almost certainly is) but I'm not expecting much, it's just a fun project for us. She's been keeping it well watered and spraying the fronds and it's responding well. It's grown 2 new fronds as you can see at the front with a 3rd on on the way. It's in a South West facing window so it gets a decent amount of sun. It's incredibly sunny where I live so I think it's getting enough. I have a few questions though:

1. I've been told these need some outdoor summer heat to survive. We have very hot, sunny and dry summers (100+ regularly). Will it be able to take those conditions and still survive? If so, in full sun or partial shade?
  2. We get a large diurnal temperature variation here. Although it's unlikely to get too cold you can see high 50's overnight even is summer. Any issues there?
  3. When will it break out of the coconut? Will it happen naturally or will it need some help from us?
  4. How about container size? Should we go bigger? 

Coconut.thumb.jpeg.9d296375d7335a8f918c6fb562dbde28.jpeg

I get that this is a crazy plan to grow this long term where I'm located, but it's a fun project for my daughter and I so go easy on us :-D

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi mxcolin! 

Growing a coconut inside is a great learning experience and will really open the door to palm/tropical collecting or obsession. You must replicate the closest to its native conditions as possible for it to survive and grow.

For coconuts that means conditions similar to coastal, tropical places like Hawaii. Ideally, they like 70% humidity, temps of 70F-90F and well draining soil. Bright light is good however they can be grown in outdoor shade. You don’t want the soil to hold a lot of moisture. If it doesn’t dry out fast enough it will promote fungus and likely cause issues. Fungus can be quite a problem indoors. I suggest a mixture of some coco coir with lots of vermiculite and some course sand. 

It is important to understand that coconuts do not grow when temps fall below 70 ish. They can only handle being below that for a short time or they will weaken and begin to die. They can handle a little bit of cold, like the cold nights we get in Florida occasionally, but they need to regularly see 80F to do well. They REALLY want hot and humid conditions. They also don’t like drastic changes in environment ex. suddenly moving it outside after being inside for months. If you want to put it outside I would definitely NOT put it in full sun it will burn, no point to acclimating an indoor plant to outdoor sun it will only miss it and be sad when it goes back in. It’s important to note that outdoor shade is still strong light when comparing to indoors. They also don’t like dry weather (below 50% humidity) especially dry winds. It’s my understanding that night temps are pretty important for proper growth so consistently cool nights could cause an issue? Where I live they handle our cool nights in the winter but we have a long, consistent, hot and humid summer when night temps never go below 70 so maybe that allows them to take the cold for a bit during winter. However regularly over 100 is probably too hot so perhaps leaving it inside would be best. 

The nut contains the nutrients and energy it needs for about the first two years and produces the roots, never try to remove the nut. It will eventually break apart over the years and degrade by itself I think it usually takes ab 2 or 3 years. Container size looks big enough, coconuts don’t need much space for their roots, 3gallon pot is typical for young cocos. Make sure the nut is halfway buried and the palm is above the soil. 

I suggest to get some kelp or seaweed solution it’s great for plants.

Indoor coconuts have been “successful” before but they are definitely a challenge outside the tropics. If unsuccessful you learned a lot and pave the way for future gardening success! 

*beccariophoenix alfredii shouldn’t be hard to find and would give you the coconut look that you fell in love with in your own yard! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for the information this is awesome. Think I'll leave it indoors. Our summers are going to be way too dry for them. Humidity can drop below 15% when it's 100 outside and that's probably going to kill it as you say. It definitely wouldn't like our winters. I'll keep it going indoors and see where it goes. I don't have huge expectations. The beccariophoenix alfredii is interesting. Going to be difficult to source one in Northern CA so maybe online somewhere.

Really appreciate the information and the time you've take to reply. Will update the thread on how the Coconut Palm progresses!!!

Hi Mxcolin,

I am in Phoenix and I leave mine outside all year long except for a month when we are the coldest during winter.  Despite low humidity, they do just fine.  Lots of water helps during the hot months.  This is two years of growth from a sprouted nut I brought back from my old place in Maui. 

A0CA5302-17D2-4907-B1B4-638E0B8ABB9A.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Wow!! In Phoenix. How big was it when you put it outside? Do you have it in shade? Afternoon or morning sun? If it can survive in Phoenix summers it can survive here.

Edited by mxcolin

My balcony at the condo is East facing.  During summer the last frond dips out of the sun around 1pm (morning sun). It’s over 7 ft tall now and it’s been outside it’s entire life (except for the month of January it becomes a very large houseplant). Lots of water in well draining soil and she will be just fine. Make sure you acclimate it slowly into sun or it will burn.  Yes, the low humidity does dry out the leaf tips, but you know, the palms in Hawaii look the same, so I don’t fret over it.  

• Like 1

Hi there,

I water twice a day now that we have hit triple digits.  Once in the morning and at night (since our nights don’t really cool off much).  Winter time, I water much less.   Warm water maybe once a week or a bit longer.  Better to let the soil dry out between waterings during cooler months.  She still pushes out new growth all winter long just at a much slower rate. When it is in the house as a houseplant during cold spells, I water once a week. The air in the house is really dry and indoor temps are usually 70 inside my condo.   I also mist (light mist) her frequently during the winter to make sure bugs like spider mites do not make a home.  

Additional note, I always place her outside with the same exposure and avoid rotating the plant to mimic as if she was anchored to the ground.  This way the fronds that see less sun to not get over exposed and possibly burn.  

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2020 at 12:58 PM, ando.wsu said:

Hi Mxcolin,

I am in Phoenix and I leave mine outside all year long except for a month when we are the coldest during winter.  Despite low humidity, they do just fine.  Lots of water helps during the hot months.  This is two years of growth from a sprouted nut I brought back from my old place in Maui. 

I have one purchased offline. What is the netting/webbing around the trunk and do leave it on there? How do I get height before the fronds branch out?

Edited by Heinzman8
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Heinzman8 said:

I have one purchased offline. What is the netting/webbing around the trunk and do leave it on there? How do I get height before the fronds branch out?

Yes that fiber is normal and should be left alone.

Welcome to PalmTalk!

16447027038357038234056815255493.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 5/12/2020 at 7:58 PM, ando.wsu said:

Hi Mxcolin,

Wow! What hardiness zone are you?

• Upvote 1

previously known as ego

On 2/13/2022 at 8:30 AM, ego said:

Wow! What hardiness zone are you?

Probably a 9b according to the map.   Been a few years with no freezing in my neighborhood.  But it can get cold.  Here is an updated photo of the plant taken earlier this week.  

1C9CDEC1-F4B9-4568-B55E-DF90E6BFB067.jpeg

• Like 3

That's why hardiness zones don't really mean much. I'm in 9b too, actually borderline 10a but a coconut palm could never survive here. 

previously known as ego

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 3:27 AM, mxcolin said:

Update a few years later. 

IMG_5437.thumb.jpeg.166a9517411efe284ac8a215b405624a.jpeg

Wow this looks so good! Any tips on how you achieved that? Is it fully indoor? What position is it? What’s the pot size, soil, do you fertilize?

It's fully indoors, yes. It's a South West facing window. Where I live, we get an outrageous amount of sun so that really helps. It's currently on its 4th pot since I got it, but this is going to be its last one as it's so heavy now. Never added fertilizer because it's still in the coconut. Soil is miracle grow palm soil. I have always used a self watering planter which it seems to like, plus stones on top to keep the soil moist. It's now getting almost too big, so not sure where I go from here. It won't survive outside here.

• Like 2