Eric Thompson

Washingtonia Robusta germination for nubes like me

Eric Thompson

Hi folks just put up another video, stop on by if you have a chance. Basic seed germination as well as a look at my largest seed grown washy. 
https://youtu.be/Cc1HQk7RtPw

Edited by Eric Thompson
  • Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      As an avid Washie fan who has been following their growth over here in the UK for several years, I thought I better compel a photo journal showing the biggest specimens over here and their growth rates. It appears that Filifera does perform better than Robusta here, in regards to cold hardiness. There are many more mature Filifera's around than Robusta's for instance, although Washingtonia in general does good in London and the south coast of England. As you move inland however, you will only see Filifera or hybrids.
      I'll start with what I believe is a pure Robusta at Peter Cavendish's home in Earl's Court, London. The first photo was taken in 2014...

And again in 2020...

Next we move onto another very impressive specimen. A Filibusta hybrid in Wimbledon, London. This was grown from seed in I think 1997 and it looked like this 10 years ago...

And this is what it looks like now...

Next up is what is probably one of the biggest Washie's in the UK, certainly on the mainland at least. It is located at Minster-On-Sea, which is about 20 miles east of London. This one is almost certainly a Filibusta hybrid too. I think the trunk is a little bit too fat to be a Robusta...?
      Here it is in 2009...

And here it is now...

Many of you have also probably seen Dave Brown's Filibusta hybrid in Kent, which looked like this back in 2007. He did a few videos on it surviving snow and cold winters...

Well this is what Dave's washie looks like nowadays... 

Robusta's or Filibusta hybrids in Richmond, London near to Kew Gardens. First picture from 2012...

And then 7 years later in 2019...

Another Filibusta hybrid in Little Venice, London... shown back in 2013...

And then 7 years later, now...

I think the one in Chelsea Physic Garden, London is also a Filibusta hybrid. Here it is roughly a decade ago...

And again in 2019...

Probable Filibusta hybrid in a front garden in Southsea, Portsmouth. Here it is back in 2011 looking tiny...

And more recently in 2020...

Now onto the Filifera's, starting with Barry's one in Edmonton, North London, which is possibly the biggest Filifera in the UK now at 30 foot tall. Here is his Filifera about 15 years ago...

And this is how Barry's Filifera looks today!

The other contender for the UK's biggest Filifera is the monster at Canvey Island, just east of London. It looked like this back in 2009...

But now it looks like this...

Here's what looks like another big Filifera growing in Chingford, Essex. First shown in 2011...

And then fast forward 9 years to now...

There's another decent sized Filifera in Dulwich, London as well, which looked like this in 2008...

And looks like this now...

There appears to be a Filifera growing in a front garden in Thorpe Bay, Essex. You can just about see it's fronds back in 2009...

But it looked like this a decade later in 2019...

Another big Filifera on the Isle of Dogs in East London...

A Filibusta hybrid, or possibly a Filifera, in a Wimbledon back garden...

Another Filifera at Battersea Park, London...

Filibusta hybrids at Sandsfoot Gardens, Weymouth

Growth on a London street Washie from 2014...

And then fast forward to 2020...

There were a number of 5-6 foot washies planted at Ventnor Botanic gardens, which looked like this after the bad winter of 2010...

And this is them in recent years, a decade or so later...

The Abbey Gardens at Tresco has by far the tallest Washie in the UK with a 45 foot tall Robusta... however I don't have any 'before' pictures unfortunately...

Tresco's Filibusta hybrid however has gone from this in 2011...

To this now...

Lastly, some big Robusta's at a private facility in the Docklands in east London. This place is supposedly used for hosting business magnates. Quite a weird location to place them. Here they are shortly after planting in late 2017...

And then about 6 months later...

9 months later they're looking nice and healthy. The tallest Robusta's must be about 30-35 feet tall.

• sashaeffer
      By sashaeffer
      New to seed germination indoors as I've previously just bought potted palms. I've discovered with a couple species that potted purchased palms that don't do well indoors....and die, do much better if grown from seed.
      I'm using baggie method and heat mats and trays with pretty good luck.
      My question is, when is the best time to plant them up and also to remove  from any bottom heat?  I don't want to "cook" the new seedlings. 
      Are heat mats only supposed to be  used to get seed to "pop"?
    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      In January I went to a Buddy Holly tribute at the Cape Cabaret in downtown Cape Coral. On the way in I noticed several apparently "dwarf" trunked Pseudophoenix sargentii shorter than I am planted near the side walk. Two of them had ripe seeds and had dropped many on the ground. On the way home I picked the remaining seeds and took photos. I posted those photos last month in the following topic:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/67082-pseudophoenx-sargentii-dwarfs-cape-coral-fl/&tab=comments#comment-974787
      I questioned whether these palms were actually dwarfed like Areca catechus. Consensus was that they had been kept in pots for many years before they were planted, which resulted in their current appearance, i.e., there are no genetic dwarf P. sargentii. So you should not expect offspring of these seeds to replicate their parents if they are raised normally. 
      In addition you can read a write-up on this species in the Palmpedia link below:
      http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Pseudophoenix_sargentii
      I have several hundred seeds of these palms for sale as follows:
      Pseudophoenix sargentii from Cape Cabaret: 50 seeds @ $10.00 for the Lot
      Shipping: $5.00 up to 150 seeds.   No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal
      PM me if you are interested
      A couple photos from my previous topic

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have approx. 400-500 Coccothrinax inaguensis seeds from my mother palm in Cape Coral. This is a rare species confined to a few islands in the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos. It is hardy to zones 10/11. Read about it in the Palmpedia link below:
      https://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Coccothrinax_inaguensis
      The article contains a photo of my palm after it was planted as a 3g. See summary below:
      Coccothrinax inaguensis seeds: 50 @ $10.00 for the lot
                                                           100 @ $15.00 for the lot
      Shipping = $6.00     via 1st class mail. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Payment via Paypal. PM me if you are interested
      Photos
      Seeds

Mother Palm