Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

First Dypsis lutescens

PalmTreeDude

I just bought my first Dypsis lutescens (clump) at a local nursery to use as a potted plant. What are some things I should know about these? How fast do these grow? I saw some big ones in the nursery that had full sized trunks. Would it be possible to separate some of the smaller ones from the edge of the clump without hurting the others? 

10694EC7-E811-45F2-BB40-D527D441482A.jpeg

NOT A TA

Yes you can separate them. Just keep in shade for a month or so afterward. The color of your plant looks shade grown so be careful about putting it out in full sun all at once right away.

Rickybobby

I have grown many from seed. And I keep them seperate in pots so they don’t look as clumped as yours even though they start to sucker at two years old. They do grow prettt fast for a Palm and are easy to keep In pots. I find them water hungry but good drainage is needed I give mine led lighting and lots of warmth 

PalmatierMeg

They are clumpers but most commercial palm sellers peddle them with multiple seedlings stuffed into pots. They compete with one another until most of the smaller/weaker plants die and leave a few strong ones. I found that by potting up individual palms I end up with multiple plants that are stronger by not having to fight to survive. This species is beautiful and colorful when it is thinned to several trunks and you can see each one. And occasionally D. lutescens produces solitary trunked palms.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Palmer12
      By Palmer12
      Hello everyone
      thank you for contributing.
      I have issues with Areca Palms (Dypsis lutescens)
      Dry leaves lead to the death of the palms. 

I have observed dry leaves, as a result I changed the location of the palms and put them more in the direct sun in front of the large balcony door. 
      I spray the palms daily 2 times like water and water them 1 time a week. 
      But the dry leaves do not want to go away.

Please find the pictures attached and help me with your expertise to save these beautiful Areca palms.

Best Regards,
      E.Gudz
      www.confectix.com 

• Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone. Which of the following Dypsis is the cold hardiest if any?  I’d really like to try Dypsis and the following ones are available from a grower:
       Dypsis ampasindave 5 l 30 -40 cm  
       Dypsis cabadea  in 5 l bags                              +- 2 m                    
       Dypsis Carl Smithii  in 0.5 l bags                      +-0.4 m            
       Dypsis lanceolata   in 5 l bags                          1.8 m                   
      Dypsis lutescens  Bamboo palm in 5 l bags   +- 0.5 m             
      Dypsis dark mealy bug    in 5 l bags              30 cm                     
       Dypsis lucubensis   in 10 l bags                        +- 1.6 m          
        Dypsis leptochilos  (teddy bear palm)   in 20 l bags  + - 1.9 m        
        Dypsis pembanum  in 5 l bags                          +- 1.8 m           
         Dypsis  robusta     in 5 l bags
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello everyone, I was looking at an app called iNaturalist, which is an app that lets you post and look at observations of plants and animals around the world, and I typed in Cocos nucifera and found this post in northern Morocco by the Mediterranean Sea. Does anyone know any information about this? I thought that it would be too cool in the winter for them there. 

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I don't even remember now, at which So Cal Palm Society meeting auction I bought this Dypsis.  I do recall it was solitary and probably no more than a 1 gallon when purchased.  I dropped it in a shaded spot under a Burretiokentia hapala, probably anticipating it would be a smaller gauge trunk and continue taking advantage of the Burretiokentia's shade.  It has since produced one new subterranean offset from the main trunk.  Any thoughts on which fine leafed Dypsis this is?  Markings on the trunk should be a clue.