IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Any ideas on where to find a pure washingtonia robusta?

Coasta

hello friends! 

I am on a mission to find. Pure washingtonia robusta, preferably in arizona :). It seems like all of the ones I look at are Hybrids.   If anyone has an idea, that would be greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Coasta said:

hello friends! 

I am on a mission to find. Pure washingtonia robusta, preferably in arizona :). It seems like all of the ones I look at are Hybrids.   If anyone has an idea, that would be greatly appreciated. 

Your best bet would be to drive to southern Sonora and hike up into a region called Nacapule Canyon. You should be able to find some pure stands of Washingtonia robusta there. Or if you are going to Baja California any of the wild stands of palms south of Mulege away from civilization should do. Any time of the year should be okay since the seeds have a long viability, but the seeds usually ripen September to November, and you will find more than you'll ever need.

Good luck in the hunt for purity!

Hi 106˚, Lo 62˚

Edited by Tom in Tucson
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

While it's true that most of the washingtonia you find for sale will be hybrids to some degree,I can't understand the need for an absolutely "pure" robusta.It won't look any different than what you can buy locally, and it would actually be less cold tolerant.If you are looking to ultimately have a thinner mature trunk,look for one with lots of red on the petiole base.

Unless you make the effort to actually travel and collect the seed from habitat,then grow it up yourself,there is no guarantee that you will ever be buying a "pure" washingtonia robusta.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

8 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Your best bet would be to drive to southern Sonora and hike up into a region called Nacapule Canyon. You should be able to find some pure stands of Washingtonia robusta there. Or if you are going to Baja California any of the wild stands of palms south of Mulege away from civilization should do. Any time of the year should be okay since the seeds have a long viability, but the seeds usually ripen September to November, and you will find more than you'll ever need.

Good luck in the hunt for purity!

Hi 106˚, Lo 62˚

Thank you Tom, wow thats quite an excursion lol. I appreciate the knowledge!

53 minutes ago, aztropic said:

While it's true that most of the washingtonia you find for sale will be hybrids to some degree,I can't understand the need for an absolutely "pure" robusta.It won't look any different than what you can buy locally, and it would actually be less cold tolerant.If you are looking to ultimately have a thinner mature trunk,look for one with lots of red on the petiole base.

Unless you make the effort to actually travel and collect the seed from habitat,then grow it up yourself,there is no guarantee that you will ever be buying a "pure" washingtonia robusta.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Hi Aztropic, thanks for the reply. My mindset about wanting a pure one or as pure as can be is to have a thinner trunk, including not having such a huge boot. One of the robustas I have planted currently, has a lot of red at the base of one of the leafs. Would this be a good example when you refer to petiole? 

Screenshot_20200508-082024_Gallery.jpg

Yes.That example leans more toward robusta but probably is not "pure" There really isn't going to be that much difference between a robusta type vs. pure robusta.If a couple inches one way or another is going to be a deal breaker,you may want to consider something that looks similar but has a known thinner trunk to begin with.Something like the Florida native sabal palmetto (cabbage palm), Copernicia berteroana,or even a mediterainian fan palm may be a better fit for the area you are trying to fill.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

2 minutes ago, aztropic said:

Yes.That example leans more toward robusta but probably is not "pure" There really isn't going to be that much difference between a robusta type vs. pure robusta.If a couple inches one way or another is going to be a deal breaker,you may want to consider something that looks similar but has a known thinner trunk to begin with.Something like the Florida native sabal palmetto (cabbage palm), Copernicia berteroana,or even a mediterainian fan palm may be a better fit for the area you are trying to fill.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Thank you very much Aztropic! I have actually have a chameleons humilis in the front yard I planted about a year and a half ago. My vision is to have to robustas growing behind the wall super tall and the royal palm in front of the wall. I will send a photo via private chat.  I will no longer search for a "pure robusta" but one with good characteristics and red on the petiole. 

• Like 1

I have access to loads of them.  If you pay shipping, I can send you say 20.  They are seedlings.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, palmsOrl said:

I have access to loads of them.  If you pay shipping, I can send you say 20.  They are seedlings.

Thank you PalmsOrl, I will for sure keep that in mind if I am not able to find any local this weekend. :) I appreciate it!

• Upvote 1

My impression from the latest research on these is that there is just one Washingtonia species that varies due to habitat characteristics. Starting in the north, they look a lot like filifera, and they get to look more and more like robusta as you go south. So if you want the thin one, make sure you get one sourced from as far south as possible. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, branislav said:

My impression from the latest research on these is that there is just one Washingtonia species that varies due to habitat characteristics. Starting in the north, they look a lot like filifera, and they get to look more and more like robusta as you go south. So if you want the thin one, make sure you get one sourced from as far south as possible. 

Thats really interesting. Could the amount of water a robusta receives affect the boot and the thickness?

11 hours ago, Coasta said:

Hi Aztropic, thanks for the reply. My mindset about wanting a pure one or as pure as can be is to have a thinner trunk, including not having such a huge boot. One of the robustas I have planted currently, has a lot of red at the base of one of the leafs. Would this be a good example when you refer to petiole? 

Screenshot_20200508-082024_Gallery.jpg

If that ain't pure, close enough. Plant out, WE HAVE LIFTOFF! (OHHH AHH, ETC.)

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

14 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

If that ain't pure, close enough. Plant out, WE HAVE LIFTOFF! (OHHH AHH, ETC.)

Thanks Doomsdave, this is the one I planted last year that I will be moving a little further away from the wall. I am going to go visit the same place tomorrow to see if they have another. :)

15889923683267579630407557687981.jpg

Edited by Coasta

Just now, Coasta said:

Thanks Doomsdave, this is the one I planted last year that I will be moving a little further away from the wall. 

15889923683267579630407557687981.jpg

THAT LOOKS LIKE A FILIFERA, SORRY CAPS STUCK ON, DON'T MEAN TO SHOUT

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

THAT LOOKS LIKE A FILIFERA, SORRY CAPS STUCK ON, DON'T MEAN TO SHOUT

The confusing thing is that is the same palm! Lol. I'm not sure if it looks different because its in the shade?

Yowza, don't look like the same one.

Yike a rooney

2 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Yowza, don't look like the same one.

Yike a rooney

I think also, it has gone through some rough time with transplant shock as well as getting used to the shade. It has been pretty slow. Are the leaf that are deeply cut what make it look like a filifera? Is it because of the thin petiole? Here is another old photo :). Thanks you BTW!20191003_060548.thumb.jpg.353765925fad2e2e10267a29cc748a9c.jpg

On 5/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, Coasta said:

Thats really interesting. Could the amount of water a robusta receives affect the boot and the thickness?

Not sure. It looks like the adaptation might have been more fundamental so you can't mimic a filifera by watering a robusta a lot. But I am sure that these palms probably respond to watering like the rest do, within their generic limits.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, branislav said:

Not sure. It looks like the adaptation might have been more fundamental so you can't mimic a filifera by watering a robusta a lot. But I am sure that these palms probably respond to watering like the rest do, within their generic limits.

Thats great to know:)). Thank you!

• 11 months later...
On 5/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, palmsOrl said:

If you still have seeds available I'm willing to pay shipping B)

2 hours ago, ZPalms said:

If you still have seeds available I'm willing to pay shipping B)

PM me your address and I'll mail you some seeds no charge.

aztropic 

Mesa,Arizona

1620671038394695713013172944717.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona