IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a washingtonia robusta, filifera or filibusta?

Coasta

hello everyone!! About a year ago I planted to palms from the same nursery. Before I purchased from this nursery I shopped around a lot to find the purest robustas. I noticed the smaller one is a bit hairier and I know that is a characteristic of a filifera, unless robustas are that hairy when they are young. If anyone could help me identify if the smaller one is a robusta, filibusta or filifera. I am hoping its a robusta, your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could confirm that the bigger one is a robusta. Thank you!

20200507_073637.jpg

20200507_073659.jpg

20200507_073718.jpg

20200507_073730.jpg

20200507_073827.jpg

54 minutes ago, Coasta said:

hello everyone!! About a year ago I planted to palms from the same nursery. Before I purchased from this nursery I shopped around a lot to find the purest robustas. I noticed the smaller one is a bit hairier and I know that is a characteristic of a filifera, unless robustas are that hairy when they are young. If anyone could help me identify if the smaller one is a robusta, filibusta or filifera. I am hoping its a robusta, your expertise would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could confirm that the bigger one is a robusta. Thank you!

To my eye, I'd have to say they are filifera or a filifera-dominant hybrid.  The thorns look tiny and mostly green.  On a robusta, they get reddish-brown.   The third picture down on the left column of photos will demonstrate what I'm saying pretty well: https://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Washingtonia+robusta

You can compare with filifera here: https://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Washingtonia+filifera

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

4 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

It definitely has some filifera.

This was my fear... :(.... all of those hairs. Thank you Jimbean for your response. Does the one on the left look like a robusta?

Smaller one definitely Filifera or has majority of Filifera in it. Hard to tell for sure if its 100% Filifera or a hybrid. 

Smaller one definitely Robusta. But 100% ? Again,  its so hard to tell right now. 

• Like 1

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

To my eye, I'd have to say they are filifera or a filifera-dominant hybrid.  The thorns look tiny and mostly green.  On a robusta, they get reddish-brown.   The third picture down on the left column of photos will demonstrate what I'm saying pretty well: https://idtools.org/id/palms/palmid/factsheet.php?name=Washingtonia+robusta

Thank you for your response and giving your expert opinion. I appreciate it. I do see what you are referring too in regards to the red thorns. I just wasn't sure if it was to tell those since its young. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, James760 said:

Smaller one definitely Filifera or has majority of Filifera in it. Hard to tell for sure if its 100% Filifera or a hybrid. 

Smaller one definitely Robusta. But 100% ? Again,  its so hard to tell right now. 

Thanks James for your response!!! Everyone seems to be on the same page that there is definitely filifera in it. 

• Like 1

Those little palms look to be awfully close together unless you are seeking the double/twin effect. Even then..... if both are partial/mostly filifera they may get really large girths. I also wonder if you have planted them too close to that cinderblock wall.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

11 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Those little palms look to be awfully close together unless you are seeking the double/twin effect. Even then..... if both are partial/mostly filifera they may get really large girths. I also wonder if you have planted them too close to that cinderblock wall.

Hi PalmatierMeg, thank you for the response. I just went outside to measure the distance and between the two palma it's 1ft 5 inches. I was trying to go for the twin look, but not to completely crush each other. My goal was to have two robustas, and it seems the small one is a filifera,  so I will be pulling it out and looking for a robusta to replace it. :). The palma are both 1ft 9 inches from the cinderblock wall. Any thoughts on this? :). 

7 minutes ago, Coasta said:

Hi PalmatierMeg, thank you for the response. I just went outside to measure the distance and between the two palma it's 1ft 5 inches. I was trying to go for the twin look, but not to completely crush each other. My goal was to have two robustas, and it seems the small one is a filifera,  so I will be pulling it out and looking for a robusta to replace it. :). The palma are both 1ft 9 inches from the cinderblock wall. Any thoughts on this? :). 

If you are open to growing a robusta from seed, I can get you some seeds from here.  They're all in flower/fruit, and to my knowledge, the only filifera in the area are my juveniles.

• Like 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Not enough space in either case. I've seen filibustas here in Cape Coral that are 3' plus at the base. My late robusta was 2' + before wilt got it. Both would bust out that wall. Plant them 5-6' from the wall. I'd widen the distance between them to at least several feet. Don't forget both varieties get huge crowns of leaves that will interfere with each other and make pruning a nightmare. If you are hoping they will gracefully lean away from each other and curve like coconuts on a tropical beach, I'm not sure Washies easily do that sort of thing. Maybe someone who really understands them will chime in.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Florida

11 minutes ago, Coasta said:

Well the the Filifera's trunk will be way too big being that close to the wall.  Even when young the robusta's truck is too close to the wall, unless you don't care about the wall.

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

44 minutes ago, Coasta said:

This was my fear... :(.... all of those hairs. Thank you Jimbean for your response. Does the one on the left look like a robusta?

yes, but it's hard to tell at that stage.

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

16 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

yes, but it's hard to tell at that stage.

Thank you Jim!! I appreciate your time :).

26 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Not enough space in either case. I've seen filibustas here in Cape Coral that are 3' plus at the base. My late robusta was 2' + before wilt got it. Both would bust out that wall. Plant them 5-6' from the wall. I'd widen the distance between them to at least several feet. Don't forget both varieties get huge crowns of leaves that will interfere with each other and make pruning a nightmare. If you are hoping they will gracefully lean away from each other and curve like coconuts on a tropical beach, I'm not sure Washies easily do that sort of thing. Maybe someone who really understands them will chime in.

I appreciate that and had thought I put them far enough away from the wall. I am for sure removing the smaller one, and just need to figure out if I were to move the bigger one, how to prevent transplant shock. 

27 minutes ago, Jimbean said:

Well the the Filifera's trunk will be way too big being that close to the wall.  Even when young the robusta's truck is too close to the wall, unless you don't care about the wall.

Yeah.. you guys and gals have me thinking. I am for sure getting rid of the smaller one, but if I move the other one further away. How to prevent transplant shock 

This is what you are looking for to identify robusta. If there is ANY red in the petiole bases,there is robusta in it. Absolutely no red and you've got yourself a filifera...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200507_105019397.jpg

• Like 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Didn't you plant it just recently? Then it wouldn't have time to root in. Dig it up with the largest rootball you can, then replant in new location.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

2 minutes ago, aztropic said:

This is what you are looking for to identify robusta. If there is ANY red in the petiole bases,there is robusta in it. Absolutely no red and you've got yourself a filifera...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

IMG_20200507_105019397.jpg

Thank you Aztropic! I hope your palms are all doing well!

2 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Didn't you plant it just recently? Then it wouldn't have time to root in. Dig it up with the largest rootball you can, then replant in new location.

I planted both of them back in July. Do you think they have rooted yet? Also currently the big one doesn't have many fronds on it. Would it survive? 

Washies are tough palms. I'll put it this way: that palm is WAY too close to your wall and over time the wall will be a goner. If you have a next door neighbor, your Washy will surely invade his property as it gets burlier. It's gotta move somewhere. Also remember: Washies are plentiful and cheap as dirt. You can easily find or grow a replacement if this one croaks.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Thank you PalmatierMeg. Now the search is on to find another robusta to replace the small one and attempt to move the other one without damage. Its good to know now instead of when they are already big. 

2 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

If you are open to growing a robusta from seed, I can get you some seeds from here.  They're all in flower/fruit, and to my knowledge, the only filifera in the area are my juveniles.

Thank you Kinzyjr. I will keep that in mind :). 

After going to a nursery, lowes and home depot, I came across this washy that seems to be a robusta since it has red. Any thoughts? 

20200507_173138.jpg

20200507_173150.jpg

20200507_173156.jpg

1 hour ago, Coasta said:

After going to a nursery, lowes and home depot, I came across this washy that seems to be a robusta since it has red. Any thoughts? 

20200507_173138.jpg

20200507_173150.jpg

20200507_173156.jpg

I'd say that's a hybrid. Full robustas are dark red/brown at the bases all round.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thank you for your expert opinion on this! It's so hard to fine full robustas. 

Just now, Coasta said:

Thank you for your expert opinion on this! It's so hard to fine full robustas. 

Well, let's not get carried away with that expert stuff, but I do have some experience.

Washies make bunny rabbits look positively celibate by comparison.

• Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

19 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, let's not get carried away with that expert stuff, but I do have some experience.

Washies make bunny rabbits look positively celibate by comparison.

I am sure you are more of an expert then me!! Lol. 

5 hours ago, Coasta said:

20200507_173138.jpg

20200507_173150.jpg

20200507_173156.jpg

I dont tihink it is pure Robusta, it has som filifera in it. pay attention to how deep or shallow the fronds are cut. the more shallow the more Robusta and vice versa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

I dont tihink it is pure Robusta, it has som filifera in it. pay attention to how deep or shallow the fronds are cut. the more shallow the more Robusta and vice versa.

Thank you Palmfarmer. I never thought it would be this hard to find a pure robusta lol.