newtopalmsMD

Why is this yucca pink

newtopalmsMD

This yucca has had pink tint for a couple of years.  Is this a nutrient deficiency? normal for young bright edge yuccas? or could it be the way it will grow?  ThanksIMG_3602.jpg.d0d73ee8dc0d1a905ff5dbfbc96eecb0.jpg

Silas_Sancona
18 minutes ago, newtopalmsMD said:

This yucca has had pink tint for a couple of years.  Is this a nutrient deficiency? normal for young bright edge yuccas? or could it be the way it will grow?  ThanksIMG_3602.jpg.d0d73ee8dc0d1a905ff5dbfbc96eecb0.jpg

Perfectly normal. Some specimens of this variety will present more pink in the leaves than others..

jimmyt

Is this a Yucca reveal party? :floor::blink:  I have seen blue ones too!  Sorry....   Just could not resist.  It is the quarantine insanity!

Darold Petty

Any possibility that this plant is a Cordyline or Phormium ?  

newtopalmsMD

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies

Darold, I can't verify that it's a yucca.  I bought a couple of red Texas yuccas two years ago on line (they are doing great) and the seller added this as a little bonus, and called it a yucca.  Also it has spent two winters in the pot outside with no problem, if that makes it more likely to be a yucca.  I do like the pink shading, and will pick a spot near the front of my garden if it will stay pink.  Otherwise I have a few larger color guard yuccas already!   

Thanks again

Chester B

I've bought a bunch of variegated yuccas - filamentosa and gloriosa - that are like this.  For me they all end up losing the pink the first year.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I bought the plant in the photos as an unnamed yucca at a garden club sale several years ago. It has done very well in my SWFL climate and looks good in all weather.  It offsets by means of stolons. Can anyone tell me what species of yucca it is or confirm it is indeed a yucca? My husband wonders if it actually might be an agave but it doesn't look like one to me.

• Silas_Sancona
      By Silas_Sancona
      A thread for anyone, and everyone who enjoys these plants..

While one of the most iconic plants in dry desert landscapes,  the Genus Yucca can be found almost anywhere from the Prairies of the northern Plains, to the humid Southeast. Many also extend deep into the subtropical portions of Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central America as well. Many species are well established in landscapes worldwide.

Often enough, while iconic species as Yucca brevifolia, Joshua Tree, or Yucca elephantes /guatemalensis, Giant Yucca come to mind when picturing them, the Genus contains upwards of 49 or so species and numerous sub species that range from small, non-trunking, Agave-like plants, to imposing giants.  Some are quite common, others rarer. All offer something to admire in the garden among Cacti, Aloe, Agave, or mixed in among Palms and other tropicals.  Cause for much debate, a common California native, Yucca whipplei, and 1 or 2 other species, were split into their own Genus, Hesperoyucca, with the main suggested differences between the two Genera being tied to DNA analysis, and both the morphology of reproductive structure, and pollen.

Several produce both edible seed pods and/ or flowers, and many have been used for various applications by man throughout time. Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of these plants is that many have a special relationship with specific Moths which pollinate them. In a time of shifting climate, some Yucca species may become less common as the range of their pollinator shifts as well.  Regardless, nearly all can be propagated from stem or root cuttings.

Some pictures of a few i'm currently growing, and some others from around town. Growing some yourself?.. or have pictures of others around to share?    Share 'em,  Re-share 'em.

Yucca elata. Specimen growing in the Desert outside Tucson, Pic #2.

Yucca glauca.. My seed started plant, 3yrs old. Seed orig. collected in Cimarron Co. OK.

Some seedlings of Y. glauca, " Pink Sepal Form" Seed was collected from a population of the species which supposedly produces more pinkish / maroon-ish colored Sepals.

Yucca baccata, supposedly the non-trunking form, we'll see.  Pic. #2: Flowering specimen in Glendale.

My personal favorite, Yucca endlichiana, Looks more like a small Agave sp. than a Yucca. Rarer and not always easy to find. Supposedly hardy to 15F. Had mine fore 3 years. Flowers form inside the cluster and aren't as easy to observe, compared to most other Yucca sp. Still waiting for Flowers. 

Some other Y. endlichiana specimens around town. Pic #1: Desert botanical, nice side by side comparison between a more greenish and a more bluish specimen. Pic. #2:  Hanging out beneath a large Bursera fageroides at a local specialty Nursery here in Chandler.  No clue on age.

Yucca pallida.. One of the nicest of the non trunking sp. imo. Clusters more than it spreads. Foliage is always this vivid Turquoise-y blue green, and isn't stiff. Still has some tiny teeth on the leaf margins though.  Had to have one for the collection when i saw some plants in the neighborhood up close / in flower. 

Have posted these pics before, but.. heck, why not again ( pics:#2-3 ). Seeing these used more and more in commercial/ city landscape projects around town.

Thinking this is Yucca filifera. Desert Botanical's collection. On the "to add" list.

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I have some old Yucca rostrata seeds from a year or two ago and have them soaking in water, most sank over time, does anyone think it would be worth a shot trying to germinate them? 
    • PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      Hello, I am bad with yuccas, so this may be a basic one. I am just South of Richmond, VA and I found this little stand of yuccas, but I have no idea what they are. I broke off a seed stalk to one of them and there were only three intact seeds left. Do you know what these are? Also, how easy is it to germinate yucca seeds? Do they need anything special?