LasPalmerasDeMaryland

May Update (Post-2020 Winter)

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Welp, the weather is warm and I’m finally going to tour my palms after this winter. This winter was very warm for Maryland Standards. The lowest temperature I can recall is 19°F. Which is good for my palms’ first winter to help acclimate them. 

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

Both of my Sabal Louisiana’s are doing great! They’re starting to get palmate leaves and I hope for a more palm-like appearance this year!

C315FEF9-44CA-42ED-8CC3-A1D60B7F5CD5.jpeg

F8A61797-0600-4368-AF09-B2FAA518D49B.jpeg

• Like 3

Allen

Those two did great!  yes it was a warm year for sure.

• Like 2

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

My Sabal Minor ‘McCurtain’ is looking rough for some reason. This must just be a very weak specimen. Hopefully it’ll recover. 

10955C81-CF89-4EF3-A461-1002EB88AA88.jpeg

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

My Sabal Uresana came through with no damage.

2CEC34C0-68A3-48DE-BA54-FD38F7A98EA1.jpeg

• Like 2

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

My Sabal Palmetto ‘Mocksville’ did beautifully. I know it’s an unprecedented warm winter but I hope I can keep it alive for a few years. 

984EA6EB-6D9A-4A3B-BBCA-A6CBCC34B1CF.jpeg

0E578C86-A737-4B82-8D66-60C07D5941DB.jpeg

• Like 3

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

This T. Fortunei ‘Bulgaria’ is still recovering from a weed whacking incident but it’s still green and no cold damage. 

4F489BFA-D6E7-42F9-88FB-8C71BDF64154.jpeg

• Like 1

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

This T. Fortunei ‘Bulgária’ is my favorite right now! It’s already pushing out new fronds and looks marvelous!

1B134725-87AC-48AF-A791-506366677427.jpeg

1CCE13F9-9FBC-4F43-A773-713CB2B25556.jpeg

• Like 3

LasPalmerasDeMaryland

My Musa Basjoo is coming back to life. Though I think the main stalks rotted under the mulch. But a smaller pup front the year before is returning and has been growing since early April. 
meh gardening is a learning process 

4479585B-4F35-43C3-BDD4-44BACCDD3D16.jpeg

• Like 1

Allen

All those look great!  The Bulgaria hopefully will be the star of the yard!

8B palms

If you have the space you should certainly try a needle palm, when they get going they are pretty impressive.

• Like 1

Allen

All look great like I said above except that minor.  I would check the spear and pour hydrogen peroxide on that one.  They were all kinda small and you might check the spear on all.

James760

I'm surprised the Sabal Minor McCurtain got damaged...  Everything else looks great though! Nice collection you have there. :greenthumb:

Swolte

When did you put them in the ground? The spring, summer, or fall of last year? Freshly planted Sabals can take a while to get going, in my experience.
:)