IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis lutescens invasive?

Jimbean

I'm seeing this more and more in Brevard.  This is one such example, by far not the only one.  I've seen them naturalize in Palm Beach and Martin counties as well.  Has anyone else noticed? 

IMG_20200503_085612.jpg

• Like 1

Brevard County, Fl

They do produce abundant crops of seeds. I have only found sprouting seeds very near mother plants. Nothing here in Guatemala seems to disperse the seeds.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I really never have noticed sprouted seeds of Dypsis lutescens in the Florida Keys. The big exception being after Hurricane Irma soaked us with 5' of ocean for 12+ hours and battered us with 160+mph winds. This actually heavily damaged, or killed outright, the majority of D. lutescens in our area of Big Pine Key. However, one bizarre thing was that around these dead clumps, there were hundreds of sprouting seedlings. I really wonder if it was the saltwater or some other factor that caused this to happen. But just as strangely, virtually all of these seedlings eventually died.

This photo, taken a couple of blocks from our house on Big Pine Key on 31 December 2017 (three and a half months after the storm), shows the typical appearance in our area of Dypsis lutescens. If you look closely on the ground amidst the debris in the right portion of the frame, you will see what look like thick blades of grass. These were all seedlings of D. lutescens. Though none of the seedlings made it, some of the seemingly dead clumps in this photo have since put out one solitary stem or in a couple of cases one of the large aerial canes was able to put out a new leaf and get going again. But this used to be a huge, dense and beautiful stand of the palm. (Meanwhile, the few D. pembana in our area came through with no damage whatsoever from the saltwater inundation and wind-load. Lesson learned!)

Dypsis lutescens 2017_12_31 IMG_4345.jpg

• Like 3

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Haven't seen any in the wild here, but there are a lot of mature specimens that are setting seed so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that I'll be hiking through the woods and see one here or elsewhere in the county.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I've never seen this but I haven't been to Brevard County natural areas lately.  We have quite a few larger Dypsis lutescens n Orlando proper now, but I see much fewer with a lot of size on them in the suburbs.  Never seen any seeds or seedlings here.

I would actually like one for my container ranch.

• Like 1

Weeds, they sprout everywhere in my yard from only 1 plant.

• Upvote 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

We see no obvious naturalization here.  Naturalized palms here are mainly phoenix and appear to be sylvestris, reclinata, or rupicola hybrids.   These could easily be considered invasive here.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

2 hours ago, redant said:

Weeds, they sprout everywhere in my yard from only 1 plant.

Same here.  My neighbor has two mature specimens, and seedlings sprout all over my side yard.  They readily volunteer in any local habitat, such as scrub, hardwood forest, pine/saw palmetto forest, etc. The biggest volunteer specimen I have seen was near Turkey Creek in Palm Bay that looks nearly mature and about to flower.

Brevard County, Fl

• 1 month later...

I took two pictures last week while hiking in the Palm Bay area.  Now that I look for them in Turkey Creek, Malabar scrub, and any general wooded location, they are everywhere.  I'm pretty sure these will be invasive;  Even the 1989 freeze did not kill many of them here in Brevard from what I was told.

IMG_20200606_093412.jpg

IMG_20200607_082636.jpg

• Like 3

Brevard County, Fl

Have not seen any here on O`ahu.  But as an avid hiker I've hiked stream beds and ridges looking at Royal's by the hundreds.  Licuala chinensis also all over many Ko`olau valleys (behind Honolulu)  Also a number of stream beds and valley sides have Pinanga coronata- all over them.  the royals have been around since early last century.  Palms like the Pinanga and others I think came after Ho`omaluhia Botanical Garden opened I thing birds are spreading small seeded palms into the Ko`olau Mts.

• Like 4

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Jimbean said:

There's was more, but I lost the pictures. 

No doubt.  These pop up like crazy and the worst a nasty freeze seems to do is kill a few trunks to the ground in warmer microclimates.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

NQLD Australia, Mission beach I’ve seen them as a weed. 

• Like 1