IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My little Tahina grove

bgl

Germinated 86 Tahina spectabilis (out of 100 seeds) in early 2008 (from RPS). Sold most of them locally but kept eight of them and have planted them in the same general area. They respond very well to lots of soil and I know they also do very well in hot weather, but can't do much about that. At 800 ft elevation here in Leilani Estates, Big Island of Hawaii, it's warm enough for them without the extreme heat that a location closer to the equator would experience. A few photos taken this morning. And feel free to add your Tahina photos - always interesting to see how they are doing in various locations around the globe. :)

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0284.JPG

DSC_0286.JPG

• Like 24
  • Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo - thanks for the photos - looking good. I was lucky enough to get a couple of yours from Karolyn, before the eruption. And while it is much cooler where I planted them, they have been growing steadily and look pretty good - although much smaller than yours. I'll take a few pics next time I'm out and about with the camera.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

What I would do for a Tahina grove :yay:Absolutely stunning like the rest of your garden !!

T J 

Well hello Bo! Your Tahina are looking good and growing well. I have one of your 86 and it's doing just fine. I'll snap a photo in the next day or two. 

Maybe lunch one of these months. :sick:

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hi Bo!

Long time no see!

What your Tahinas need is some South Florida Calcareous soil.  I can send you some.  How about a pic of you or someone standing next to them for a scale of those beauties?

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

What an oxymoron.

Little Tahina grove is like military intelligence.

Truly sightly!!

Bo-Göran, thank you very much for sharing!

best regards from Okinawa 

Lars

Those are gorgeous Bo!

Not sure if there are any in Puerto Rico.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from other’s trees too.

Cindy Adair

A gorgeous grove Bo, thanks for the pics and good to hear from you!  Your garden pics are always stunning!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Thanks everyone, for your comments! :) Not being able to travel I find myself with more time for my overgrown garden - not a bad thing. Liberating smaller palms from the weeds left and right, even though the Tahinas are not in that category.:lol:

Dean, glad you were able to get hold of one. When we liquidated the nursery in 2011, we had 16 Tahinas, so Karolyn and I split them 50-50 between us. Glad to hear that yours is doing well.:greenthumb:

Tim,  yep, lunch one of these days (...months...) would be great! :rolleyes:

Jerry, ahhh, didn't think of that. I'll see what we can do. Stay tuned.. :)

Lars and Cindy, good hearing from you, and these would do well in your locations if and when you can get hold of some.:)

Bo-Göran

• Like 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Nice to see pictures again from your garden Bo! I made the mistake of assuming they wouldn't grow here in San Diego (a notion that Matt P. proved me wrong on). Just a fantastic palm; yours looks great.  I guess the silver lining to the shutdown is that now you can get caught up once and for all on your weeding, ha ha.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

There have been a couple solicitations for more photos. I bought 10 seeds from the first offer from RPS (I think maybe Bo got 100), and seven of mine germinated. I planted out four in March 2012 in one of my deepest soils areas, then planted two more in April 2014. Sold the remaining one to a friend. Recently, Tim Brian was here and took some pictures (with people for scale). I have copied most of Tim's an Jason's excellent photos to my own picture files, and I hope he will not mind if I reprise them here, a couple months after they appeared in Tim's own post.

764252151_Tahinaspectabilis_1_timbrian_0220.thumb.jpg.8e2b58599663d0abd763df5aa7db0b0c.jpg

1247209883_Tahinaspectabilis_2_timbrian_0220.thumb.jpg.309098c7fed221fdb04d3c6a64598507.jpg

1730350500_Tahinaspectabilis_3_timbrian_0220.thumb.jpg.1eee041a1ac2c4a7713705deed9bb564.jpg

What a noble plant this is!

• Like 7

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Bret, "getting caught up with weeding once and for all" - EXACTLY! :lol:

And Mike, great looking Tahina, and clearly a happy one! :)

Jerry, here's a photo taken minutes ago of me and a few of my Tahinas.

Bo-Göran

PS and Edit - should add that these were planted in late 2011 from 7G pots.

DSC_0304.JPG

• Like 3