IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Infected Chamaerops Humilis

Thor78

Can anyone tell me the type of disease that have infected my Chamaerops Humilis, and give me an advise on what to order online to control the pest? It is a kind of mite, that I can tell. Very small ones, making a fine web and sucking from the leaves, which have become all grey. After taking theese pictures, I put the palm in the shower to literally wash and flush off the mites, and cut off the worst looking leaves, hoping the palm will get new energy not having to feed to many of the mites at the same time as growing. 

I also have some palms with another type of scale/mite , if anyone have a good suggestion to a good treatment (systemic?) which is harmless to the palms, please tell me.

I also want to share my method which is probably unusual but quite effective. If a palm is infected by exterior pest, one might (optionally) spray soapy water on all infected surfaces, and after a while flush off using a pressure washer. Palm leaves are stiff and hard and tolerate pressure washing, just start at some distance and go closer to find out what pressure the leaves can take without tearing up. I find the method great, but it doesn't cope with pests inside the leaves or stems.

Pic. #1 and 2 showing my Chamaerops

Pic #3 showing some other palm's pest, leaves turning yellow/brownish and dull

IMG_20200421_194904.jpg

IMG_20200421_194546.jpg

IMG_20200501_083124.jpg

The palm in the second picture looks like a Chamaerops humilis cerifera/argentea as opposed to a regular green Chamaerops. The bluish colour is a natural phenomenon, a kind of protection of  the fronds from the sun, not a sign of disease/pest. The newest fronds emerge green because they have grown indoors unexposed to the scorching summer sun of the Mediterranean. I assume you have overwintered the palm indoors which is reasonable. However, in the future try to put it away from heaters/radiators/fireplaces in wintertime or best in an unheated corridor/room. The drying heat from the radiators causes stress for palms and they become more susceptible to pests. Chamaerops are cold-hardy palms and heated apartments are not the places where they would thrive, only survive. Believe it or not, I have successfully overwintered big grown Chammies at temperatures of - 5 degrees Celsius for a period of several weeks in a garden shed. I didn´t water at the time and the palms had some natural light through the windows.  That is how hardy they are.  I think if you put your Chamaerops outside on the balcony or in the garden in a sunny south-facing place and leave it there until late autumn,  the problem with spidermites will sort itself out without needing to do anything other than cutting off the most infected leaves and feeding the palm with some fertiliser.

In the third picture I think I can see  again the damage typically caused by spidermites. If it is some kind of a tropical palm which you cherish, you might want to think about getting a minigreenhouse for it where you can provide the necessary higher air humidity in an enclosed space. From my experience, keeping several palms inside and trying to spray the leaves with water will only result in moulds forming on the walls of the apartment which is undesirable.  Enjoy your palm bug/passion.

Thank you Bismarckiafan. Interesting, I will give this a thought. It has always been all green since I bought it, and this greyish colour did not appear until january/february when it was kept inside my house in a heated room for the first time. (No radiators, only luke warm water in floors. But of course, air tends to get dry). The mites are evident, so I thought they are the problem as the leaves has been green, even when bathing in sun for a whole summer. Thank you for the help, I will keep it in mind!

Targeted miticides are expensive and toxic to use on indoor plants. I suggest you make a soapy solution of Ivory Soap or castille soap, then spray the palm quite thoroughly, including backs of leaves and stems. Make sure you use a pure soap, not detergent. The soapy water will suffocate the mites without the use of poison. I agree dry houses promote mite infestations so raising the humidity will help. And, as spring should be coming on, consider letting your Chamaerops spend time outdoors during mild weather.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Thank you, I will follow your advise. I have in fact used detergent when spraying the palms, allthough only a few drops and rinsed/flushed after a while. I'll use a mild soap hereafter, and look for those you mentioned. And, I've started to let my palms get used to be outside, with a soft start.