IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hemithrinax Ekmaniana in California?

Jubaea_James760

Anyone growing these out this way? If so, what has been your experience/ observations growing them in California? What kind of cold can they take?

I have a nice protected area & was thinking of planting one. 

- James

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

I suppose that it would need a very freely draining soil, so freely that one might fear that it can not withhold enough moisture to sustain growth. But this is only an assumption 

• Like 1

If it can be useful, in Palermo, Italy, Mediterranean climate, it dies with average minimum winter temperatures of 9/10 °C (48.2 / 50 °F) and lowest never below 0 °C (32 °F). This is the last failed attempt (2018) with a 20 year old plant:

Hemithrinax ekmanianaIPS.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

6 hours ago, pietropuccio said:

If it can be useful, in Palermo, Italy, Mediterranean climate, it dies with average minimum winter temperatures of 9/10 °C (48.2 / 50 °F) and lowest never below 0 °C (32 °F). This is the last failed attempt (2018) with a 20 year old plant:

Wow, what a bummer... That's a beauty too. Did you grow it for 20 years in the ground before it died? Or purchase it that old? 

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Plant away! I've found this to be a very tough and hardy species in the Arizona desert and highly recommend it.I have several in the ground from full sun to 3/4 day shade,that have withstood temps between 29F - 120 F without any damage.Growing season,some are watered daily by association provided lawn sprinklers, (no choice) and twice a week on the ones I have to water manually;all are growing great.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1588346391601388375931425238391.jpg

15883464483771319834247085612553.jpg

15883465134393665109059276377664.jpg

15883466944216285999295393321517.jpg

15883467866194810135757863191990.jpg

15883469948785471343305428550522.jpg

• Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

2 hours ago, James760 said:

Wow, what a bummer... That's a beauty too. Did you grow it for 20 years in the ground before it died? Or purchase it that old? 

Thanks! All the Hemithrinax that I tried I got from seed and grown in pots, this:

it was planted in spring 2018 and did not pass the winter like the others.

Edited by pietropuccio
  • Like 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

2 hours ago, aztropic said:

Plant away! I've found this to be a very tough and hardy species in the Arizona desert and highly recommend it.I have several in the ground from full sun to 3/4 day shade,that have withstood temps between 29F - 120 F without any damage.Growing season,some are watered daily by association provided lawn sprinklers, (no choice) and twice a week on the ones I have to water manually;all are growing great.

Aztropic, Hesperia is zone 8b, cold desert climate.

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

@pietropuccio, you had one amazing looking Hemithrinax! So sad it didn't make it :( you must have been devastated... 

@aztropic, your past posts of your Hemithrinax inspired me to even consider this beauty! I'm hoping that there is some success stories here in California. That'll give me a better idea at what this palm can handle in my area.  It will be raised a bit so it won't be sitting in cold rain water & has overhead roof protection blocked by 2 walls facing south west. That area is my prime spot so I wanted a rare palm there! I have a Copernicia Prunifera if I don't choice Hemithrinax Ekmaniana.  But am also up for other alternatives that stay somewhat small & take my cold/wet winters & hot/dry summers :greenthumb:

James- I had one in my Fallbrook garden for several years. Never had any problems with it. Just very slow!  

• Like 1

Thanks Jason! Some hope after all. I know Fallbrook is completely different from Hesperia but am more concerned about our cool, wet , prolonged winter days more than anything.  

Did you have yours in full sun/ part sun? Did it have some overhead canopy protection?

On 5/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, James760 said:

Thanks Jason! Some hope after all. I know Fallbrook is completely different from Hesperia but am more concerned about our cool, wet , prolonged winter days more than anything.  

Did you have yours in full sun/ part sun? Did it have some overhead canopy protection?

It was in full sun for the majority of the day. 

Thanks Jason :greenthumb:

• 1 year later...
On 2020/5/1 at PM4点34分, pietropuccio said:

如果它有用的话,在意大利巴勒莫的地中海气候中,它会在平均最低冬季温度 9/10 °C (48.2 / 50 °F) 和最低温度永远低于 0 °C (32 °F) 的情况下死亡。这是使用 20 年历史的工厂最后一次失败的尝试(2018 年):

I'm wondering whether Copernicia baileyana survives in Palermo's winter or not. Does it behave like Hemithrinax Ekmaniana in winter?