IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Some of our babies Réunion Island

Max974

Nice collection! What is the variegated palm, photo #4?

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

@Max974!

What?  That’s all?

More please!!

:drool:

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

10 hours ago, Kim said:

Belle collection! Qu'est-ce que la paume panachée, photo # 4?

Thank you, it's variegated Adonidia merrillii. 

Nice. Do you have any Hyophorbe indica growing??

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

1 minute ago, gerald6006 said:

ahh le climat reunionnais est top. vous faites parti de l'ass. La Latanie?

Yes!!!

Screamed obscenities down the elevator shaft of the Dark Tower.

Cria des obscénités dans la cage d'ascenseur de la Tour Sombre.

Mein Gott!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

As we say here in America:

Habitat, is where it's at. Bay-bay!

Beautiful Max! Wonderfully grown specimens. 

I share Kim’s thoughts.........my M. darianii could use a trim as well.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks for posting the pictures Max. 

I love Hyophorbe indica. They can grow quite fast. I’ve got a couple of trunking green ones and have some small red ones starting off now. They don’t seem to mind our cool winters but don’t like frost of course. 

I wonder if these grew at a much higher altitude on Réunion than they do now. The way they handle cooler weather it would seem so. 

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis is too tropical for my place, but I haven’t tried Hyophorbe verschafeltia. That might be pushing it here. I might try one in a protected area that traps some winter heat from the sun one day.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

15 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Merci d'avoir posté les photos Max. 

J'adore Hyophorbe indica. Ils peuvent se développer assez rapidement. J'en ai quelques verts et j'ai quelques petits rouges qui commencent maintenant. Ils ne semblent pas déranger nos hivers frais mais n'aiment pas le gel bien sûr. 

Je me demande si ceux-ci ont grandi à une altitude beaucoup plus élevée à la Réunion qu'aujourd'hui. La façon dont ils gèrent le temps plus frais semble être le cas. 

Hyophorbe lagenicaulis est trop tropical pour moi, mais je n'ai pas essayé Hyophorbe verschafeltia. Cela pourrait le pousser ici. Je pourrais en essayer un dans une zone protégée qui emprisonne un peu de chaleur hivernale du soleil un jour.

Hello Tyrone, Hyophorbe indica grows up to 600 meters above sea level, it likes rain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Max974 said:

Hello Tyrone, Hyophorbe indica grows up to 600 meters above sea level, it likes rain.

Very good information. Thank you very much. 

9 hours ago, Max974 said:

Acanthophoenix rubra 

49840390171_a390366c12_z.jpgretouche by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49840689557_8687184064_z.jpg20200501_104049 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

Acanthophoenix rousselii

49840390591_8ee920662a_z.jpg20200501_101918 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

Caryota zebrina

49840689762_b0769629a1_z.jpg20200501_102043 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

Great Acanthophoenix pictures.

Ive been surprised at the cool tolerance of A rubra. I have a double planted pot of this species that I germinated and they’re doing really well down here at 35S. I’ve tried hundreds of seeds of A rouesellii over the years and not one has ever come up. 

I am growing both of those Acanthophoenix species here in east Hawaii Island. Got both species (one plant each) from Floribunda - none of the rousellii seeds I have tried to germinate ever did. They are beautiful palms - I saw examples in Reunion gardens when I visited in 2015. It's really unfortunate that the pandemic forced the cancellation of this year's biennial.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

11 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Ils ont fière allure. Merci!

Merci Cindy!

Il y a 7 heures, Mike à Kurtistown a déclaré:

Je cultive ces deux espèces d'Acanthophoenix ici dans l'est de l'île d'Hawaï. J'ai obtenu les deux espèces (une plante chacune) de Floribunda - aucune des graines de rousellii que j'ai essayé de faire germer n'a jamais fait. Ce sont de beaux palmiers - j'en ai vu des exemples dans les jardins de la Réunion lors de ma visite en 2015. C'est vraiment dommage que la pandémie ait forcé l'annulation de la biennale de cette année.

Hello Mike, the germination of Acanthophoenix is not easy, the Parc des Palmiers du Tampon manages to germinate the A. rousselii
 within 3 months. We are really disappointed not to welcome you this year, but hope that it will be for another time.
Edited by Max974

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Max974 said:

Hello Mike, the germination of Acanthophoenix is not easy, the Parc des Palmiers du Tampon manages to germinate the A. rousselii
 within 3 months. We are really disappointed not to welcome you this year, but hope that it will be for another time.

What is their secret to germinating these? I have wondered so much about how to germinate them. I think I’ve tried 500-600 seeds over many years and have never had even one try to germinate.

Il y a 21 heures, Tyrone a déclaré:

Quel est leur secret pour les faire germer? Je me suis tellement demandé commenter les faire germer. Je pense que j'ai essayé 500 à 600 graines depuis de nombreuses années et que je n'ai jamais même essayé de germer.

You need fresh seeds, at the end of the exit restrictions I will ask the park manager.

Edited by Max974
  • Upvote 1

@Max974, your Dictyospermum is nicer than mine!

Awesome palms Max! Well done!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Great. Collection of palms iam growing many of these . I have not found A. Rousselii yet but hope to try it someday. What's up with the miniature cow ?

On 05/05/2020 at 20:44, akamu said:

Génial. Collection de palmiers dont je cultive beaucoup. Je n'ai pas encore trouvé A. Rousselii mais j'espère l'essayer un jour. Quoi de neuf avec la vache miniature?

Hello Akamu, 

It is going well, it represents the zebus of Madagascar, in situ T. spectabilis is always surrounded by zebus. it helps me to measure its growth ;)

49869518302_c279543680_z.jpgDypsis lanceolata 4 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49869208946_a9a3ec44de_z.jpgDypsis lanceolata 3 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49869208656_d3b3d4a45b_z.jpgDypsis pembana by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

Recently described by John Dransfield: Ravenae cycadifolia

49869518067_3124203a0f_z.jpgRavenea cycadifolia 1 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49869208436_57a5d430bb_z.jpgRavenea cycadifolia 2 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

What a great documentation! So beautiful species! (...and many good ideas for my next seed order ;)  ) 

Thank you very much for sharing! 

best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

21 hours ago, palmfriend said:

Quelle belle documentation! Tellement belle espèce! (... et de nombreuses bonnes idées pour ma prochaine commande de semences ;)  ) 

Merci beaucoup pour le partage! 

meilleures salutations d'Okinawa -

Lars

Thank you Lars!

On 5/8/2020 at 1:56 AM, Max974 said:

49869518302_c279543680_z.jpgDypsis lanceolata 4 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49869208946_a9a3ec44de_z.jpgDypsis lanceolata 3 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49869208656_d3b3d4a45b_z.jpgDypsis pembana by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

Recently described by John Dransfield: Ravenae cycadifolia

49869518067_3124203a0f_z.jpgRavenea cycadifolia 1 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

49869208436_57a5d430bb_z.jpgRavenea cycadifolia 2 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

Is that ravenea cycadfolia in your garden? How long have you had it? I saw the article on this and think this is one cool palm that I would live to have. I didn't realize there were some in cultivation already. Please tell us more about it.

• Like 1

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Il y a 3 heures, Tracy S a déclaré:

Est-ce que Ravenea cycadfolia dans votre jardin? Depuis combien l'avez-vous? J'ai vu l'article à ce sujet et je pense que c'est une palme cool que je vivrais. Je ne savais pas qu'il y avait eu déjà en cultivation. Veuillez nous en dire plus.

Hello Tracy, R. cycadifolia is found in my palm grove, I had it adult thanks to a friend who had brought back the seeds from Madagascar. To my knowledge there are 6 subjects on the Reunion Island, 4 are sexed, 2 males, 2 females, the pollen of my R. cycadifolia allowed the fertilization of the fruits presented in the article.

Edited by Max974
  • Like 1

Thanks for the information

And congratulations in having such a beautiful specimen.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room