IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mineral fertilizer

Dimovi

Does anyone know of or recommend mineral supplement WITHOUT any nitrogen?

I have alkaline soil, which I am trying to acidify, but meanwhile I would like to be able to add mineral supplement without the fear of fertilizer burn.

Iron is easy to come by at the local garden store.

Epsom salt is a good source of Magnesium, but how about the other minerals that palms need such as Manganese, Boron, etc.

Azomite, Rock dust, particularly anything from Granite or Cinder ( Volcanic rock ),  may help acidify the soil a bit also.... Langbeinite ( High Potassium ( K ) ), Green Sand.. Have used /  use all of these, in pots though.. The Sul-Po-Mag product put out by E.B. stone is an excellent product as well, if you can find it there in Austin.. Have never had issues ( burn, etc.. ) when using it.

• Like 1

Amazon has several choices. 

6BA99B31-A105-4A7D-801A-9FBF19918F18.thumb.png.75b22b1103f03178effac0d6a335c299.png

A0716B2E-01AC-4F4D-8878-976535FE83CB.thumb.png.96d64f8d8fd8ba217865535630379e76.png

EA638FFF-6765-40E6-BF0A-DDE644CDD0FD.thumb.png.1e62a0e8485b25ee1c88b7b6a4fd25a2.png

• Like 2

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks, I'll look into getting some Azomite

Researching Azomite just gave me the idea to dilute clay in water and apply as a solution. I've heard clay is full of minerals.

soil acicity is best adjusted with sulfur, that way you arent causing changes in Mg/Ca ratio the way you do with epsom salt.  And sulfur is a slow process that will never burn uur plants the way a fast pH soil adjustor like Aluminum sulfuate will.  Sulfur is (slowly) degraded by microbes to sulfuric acid, so it takes longer, but it won't knock off the soil chemistry of a good ferilizer and wont burn the roots with an excessively fast pH change or temporary over correction.   Remember wwhen you add an acid salt like aluminum sulfate, there is no guarantee it mixes or is didtributed, "acid "hot spots" can a dn do occur in different soil types.  I always use garden lime which has a fixed Mg/Ca ratio which is what the plant wants. If either one is out of ratio it tends to cause deficiencies in the other.  Epsom salt can be good if you want to give a shot of magnesium in high calcium soil.  Otherwise, I'll use the sulfur pellets to shift the pH more gradually by without messing up soil chemistry.  It will require a few years to complete the shift.  I did this in my Az house after deficiencies were obvious and I checked soil pH was around 8-8.3.  Many micros are not available at that pH including Fe, Mn, Ca.  Magnesium also becomes less available at higher pH but not as quickly as Ca, so adding epsom makes little sense since Ca becomes less available as pH goes up than Mg does.  Here is a link, the pH/bioavailability chart is on 2nd page.  If you want to help your plants while the soil is being shifted, humic acid is a chelator so it can make those elements available at higher pH than they would be otherwise.  Keep adding the humic 3-4x a year while th e sulfur is broken down and shifting the soil pH.  https://www.horiba.com/fileadmin/uploads/Scientific/water_quality/Documents/Application_Notes/HIS/22_-_Soil_pH_and_Nutrient_Availability.pdf

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/1994/4-6-1994/ph.html

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

If you need the minor elements/minerals I suggest Southern Ag's Essential Minor Elements in granular form. You can get it in sizes from 1lb to 40lbs.

image.png.61b75a70389e3a9c81c1141cd43fd1a7.png

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

4 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

If you need the minor elements/minerals I suggest Southern Ag's Essential Minor Elements in granular form. You can get it in sizes from 1lb to 40lbs.

image.png.61b75a70389e3a9c81c1141cd43fd1a7.png

Meg,

Have you used this?  It was a toss up between this and Azomite.  I went with Azomite because I was able to get a 40lb bag for $28.  EME looks like a really good product too.   An equivalent bag would have cost me around $65.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

1 hour ago, joe_OC said:

Meg,

Have you used this?  It was a toss up between this and Azomite.  I went with Azomite because I was able to get a 40lb bag for $28.  EME looks like a really good product too.   An equivalent bag would have cost me around $65.

Yes, I've bought 25 lb bags for about $40 from an internet seller in Punta Gorda, pick it up myself and pay cash to save money. I've never used Azomite.

Meg

Florida

7 hours ago, sonoranfans said:

soil acicity is best adjusted with sulfur, that way you arent causing changes in Mg/Ca ratio the way you do with epsom salt.  And sulfur is a slow process that will never burn uur plants the way a fast pH soil adjustor like Aluminum sulfuate will.  Sulfur is (slowly) degraded by microbes to sulfuric acid, so it takes longer, but it won't knock off the soil chemistry of a good ferilizer and wont burn the roots with an excessively fast pH change or temporary over correction.   Remember wwhen you add an acid salt like aluminum sulfate, there is no guarantee it mixes or is didtributed, "acid "hot spots" can a dn do occur in different soil types.  I always use garden lime which has a fixed Mg/Ca ratio which is what the plant wants. If either one is out of ratio it tends to cause deficiencies in the other.  Epsom salt can be good if you want to give a shot of magnesium in high calcium soil.  Otherwise, I'll use the sulfur pellets to shift the pH more gradually by without messing up soil chemistry.  It will require a few years to complete the shift.  I did this in my Az house after deficiencies were obvious and I checked soil pH was around 8-8.3.  Many micros are not available at that pH including Fe, Mn, Ca.  Magnesium also becomes less available at higher pH but not as quickly as Ca, so adding epsom makes little sense since Ca becomes less available as pH goes up than Mg does.  Here is a link, the pH/bioavailability chart is on 2nd page.  If you want to help your plants while the soil is being shifted, humic acid is a chelator so it can make those elements available at higher pH than they would be otherwise.  Keep adding the humic 3-4x a year while th e sulfur is broken down and shifting the soil pH.  https://www.horiba.com/fileadmin/uploads/Scientific/water_quality/Documents/Application_Notes/HIS/22_-_Soil_pH_and_Nutrient_Availability.pdf

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/1994/4-6-1994/ph.html

Thanks for the info. I applied 60lb of sulphur last year over several thousand square feet. Still waiting for the soil to acidify. It was around 8 last year and it is still 8. The water that I irrigate with from my natural spring is also around 8, tap water is over 9. Maybe there is a bunch of lime in my water.

14 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Yes, I've bought 25 lb bags for about $40 from an internet seller in Punta Gorda, pick it up myself and pay cash to save money. I've never used Azomite.

How often are you applying EME?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

To (valued) palms that show mineral deficiencies. I can't afford to apply it to every palm I have. It's much easier to deal with than liquid concentrates that stain everything they touch. Right now I'm out and we're quarantining so I won't be replenishing for a while.

Meg

Florida

apply sulfur everey 3 months as directed in the link, dont over apply.  Its important to apply every 3 months.  It took me 2 years of this to get the pH in the low mid 7 range where my palms didnt need me to chelate the nutrients.  I also dug it in to the top 2-3" of soil to prevent runoff.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank