IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Volusia County's Largest Beccariophoenix alfredii

Reeverse

Had the Pleasure of Visiting Halley Farrel 's awesome nursery in Deland,Fl. He has some really cool rare cold hardy palms and an Extensive Bamboo collection. He has a massive Beccariophoenix that is impressive. Pictures do not do it justice! He has got it down on growing

20200426_133211(0).jpg

• Like 20
  • Upvote 3

@Reeverse do keep us apprised of that gorgeous palm’s progress!

It will likely triple in size before it even trunks.

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

That’s pretty big! I‘m impressed he’s been able to grow one that big out in the open in Deland. 

Edited by RedRabbit
  • Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

The entire property is awesome.  The Pseudophoenix sargentii Halley gave me is pushing spears like a Roman legion.

• Like 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Hope he doesn’t stop at just one!

@branislav got a bunch of big ones from me last year and my mouth waters at the though of the group he’ll end up with.

• Like 4

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Got a nice Tribear from Hailey a few months ago...well worth the drive from Satellite Beach.  

• Like 2

Obscenities have been loudly screamed 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Reeverse said:

Had the Pleasure of Visiting Halley Farrel 's awesome nursery in Deland,Fl. He has some really cool rare cold hardy palms and an Extensive Bamboo collection. He has a massive Beccariophoenix that is impressive. Pictures do not do it justice! He has got it down on growing

20200426_133211(0).jpg

I appreciate your kind words and was a pleasure showing you the nursery progress so far. Keep us updated with your newly acquired tribear! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RedRabbit said:

That’s pretty big! I‘m impressed he’s been able to grow one that big out in the open in Deland. 

I purchased and installed this Alfredii close to this size about a year ago. I am working on a couple acre field of them directly behind this big girl and those will be a true test of hardiness. Have around 500 Alfredii seedling potted up into 3-gals to start the mass production of them. They are one of my favorite palms for our area and hope to one day see them flourish the area in place of these overused, common palms. Can't wait for this big girl to fully root out in ground and establish. Would love to see trunk in the next 5 years!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, EricSatBch said:

Got a nice Tribear from Hailey a few months ago...well worth the drive from Satellite Beach.  

Post an update picture! I would love to see how she's doing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

The entire property is awesome.  The Pseudophoenix sargentii Halley gave me is pushing spears like a Roman legion.

@Hferrell87, you have P. Sargentii available? I was awaiting a hearing i have in Ft. Lauderdale in June to pick one up from Searle’s, but Deland is definitely closer. DM me if so. 
oh yea.. and cool Alfie. 

4 hours ago, Oviedo_z10b_lol said:

@Hferrell87, you have P. Sargentii available? I was awaiting a hearing i have in Ft. Lauderdale in June to pick one up from Searle’s, but Deland is definitely closer. DM me if so. 
oh yea.. and cool Alfie. 

Only a few in my collection, but can part with one. Sent you a message.

• Upvote 1

Anxious to see the growth rate after the roots get established.  Maybe I should have bought 2?  Need one for the front yard....

20200501_135315.jpg

20200501_135328.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Here are photos of my larger alfredii. It's not as big as Halley's but may be the largest one in Cape Coral.

1313512919_Becarriophoenixalfredii0105-02-20.thumb.JPG.8dfce8180776960ec27f6ee4efd1384e.JPG1000476697_Beccariophoenixalfredii0205-02-20.thumb.JPG.2353d2e336f07b1de374282c608b3264.JPG2141592354_Beccariophoenixalfredii0305-02-20.thumb.JPG.2e670a7fbf290c4baf8606ddb0af05b8.JPG

• Like 9

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here is my B Alfredii....maybe the smallest in Brevard County lol.  

20200503_071528.jpg

• Like 4

These are bulletproof palms, IMO #1 pinnate palms for 9b, take high winds and moderate freezes with no damage.  They get huge in florida, the width of a bismarckia and can hold ~20 leaves when trunking.   Get your 3 gallon in the ground ASAP, and in 10 years it will be a massive stunning specimen palm.  I would love to see a grove of 10-15 of these!  :w00:

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

6 hours ago, EricSatBch said:

20200503_071528.jpg

Here's one I planted at my in-law's house in Palm Bay back in 2014. It gets no irrigation or fertilizer at all and competes with the grass around it, but grows through everything without issue. 

D1945726-F1A9-4349-B7B7-B3CA1E98BFAB.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Here's a pic right before it went into the ground. It's in the pot in the bottom left of the picture:

IMG_3252.thumb.jpeg.ca9814f1593aacd9b36e94b659ea088c.jpeg

Keith 

And this is the largest out of the batch that I sprouted in 2010. 

Sorry for the picture quality, the lighting was sub-optimal that day. 

27B4E73E-0C6A-4AEB-9D6A-DE95D6774672.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Keith 

Great palm if you have enough space for it.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

22 hours ago, Zeeth said:

And this is the largest out of the batch that I sprouted in 2010. 

Sorry for the picture quality, the lighting was sub-optimal that day. 

27B4E73E-0C6A-4AEB-9D6A-DE95D6774672.jpeg

Here's a better pic, as well as some others in my garden.

IMG_20200504_124742.jpg

IMG_20200504_125100.jpg

IMG_20200504_125204~2.jpg

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

Keith 

On 5/3/2020 at 7:22 AM, EricSatBch said:

20200503_071528.jpg

Nice to see that Alfredii find its home in the yard!

• Like 1

Here is my largest  Alfredii taken just days ago .        In Holly Hill , Volusia County .

There's  a home along the river , about 2 miles north of me , that has 5-6 of these , 240877517_B.AlfrediiMar_20.thumb.jpg.58602d100fd99e9e636a2e376b763275.jpg just a bit bigger .

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Love seeing all these maturing Alfies !!! Can't wait to see these bad boys in a decade B)

Edited by OC2Texaspalmlvr
  • Like 2

T J 

Such a beautiful palm!

I’m just germinating seeds. A pot palm for me here but I’d been reading about them for years and deciding to just go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Impressed it's doing so well so far north. I find Alfredii's really prefer full sun otherwise they really get overly long fronds. 

• Like 1

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

1 hour ago, Zifool said:

Wow amazing my prefered palmtree :wub:

I agree top 5 for sure B)

• Like 1

T J 

On 5/5/2020 at 9:52 AM, Zifool said:

Wow amazing my prefered palmtree :wub:

Couldn’t agree more!!