IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

“Crocodile Dundee Knife” a great palm management tool

DoomsDave

A friend gave me this knife a while back and it’s been great!

2573572B-1B18-4747-9FFE-E354404FCF01.thumb.jpeg.a68b9673dd4b0224df4d8d96cec992ef.jpeg

AC0093EF-C4B0-46E4-8CBB-1234017A4703.thumb.jpeg.058edee07f741c2b447c4860ea45f13d.jpeg

• Like 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

It’s just heavy enough to whack something hard, sharp enough to really cut, long enough to give good mechanical advantage and short enough not to wear out the user in a few strokes.

Great for those times you don’t want to fuss with chainsaws.

Like chopping up Roystonea leaves.

4C1D61A3-10CD-4462-8AF4-AB5F23AEC3A7.thumb.jpeg.71cff6a1a163a1b0222ccf4c02608e0e.jpeg

77FF6E04-D5B0-4483-A19D-B0D09D25F389.thumb.jpeg.6a1e22f9ca0991d95c682ba06a0d428e.jpeg

8E96509B-BF15-46CA-9162-A84313EDADE9.thumb.jpeg.1124a4135406334ab6a96bbfe333d236.jpeg

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Perfect for handling those "kids having fun" when you're on a date too:

4400201_DundeeKnife.jpg

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I used it to edit a Dypsis lutescens and it worked like a charm.

2DEEE142-13B8-4D43-AE61-35F1C31C7AC1.thumb.jpeg.1df6fdd4a6c9a4a7cf60ccbe79cbc4ec.jpeg

0C6B997C-7C92-4A34-A74C-AF765E1F45E8.thumb.jpeg.51923ee92577197ad4650ec2736b7e7f.jpeg

C87E524E-AEE9-4B6E-B4F7-BEED366A72E5.thumb.jpeg.aceb9082ff53b4c7cca60fe036ba1bad.jpeg

13B2CAC0-9679-4DD0-A564-C4652C4779D2.thumb.jpeg.a9a0667c4082534a6094010d7f4d6c86.jpeg

• Like 3

Nice! Without a doubt you made quick editing work with that blade. 

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Now to find a replacement 

Actually to figure out which replacement 

6 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

Now to find a replacement 

Actually to figure out which replacement 

Why did you take down the Dypsis palms?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Why did you take down the Dypsis palms?

I’m guessing he needed a reason to use that knife?

Well, I have a Dypsis lute already.

I want to put in some New Caledonians.

And, it was just one D. lutescens.

I still have the other.

• Like 1

Hey Dave, how many total species of palms you have there? Don't know about you but I count varieties too. I have to cheat like that :floor:

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

17 minutes ago, James760 said:

Hey Dave, how many total species of palms you have there? Don't know about you but I count varieties too. I have to cheat like that :floor:

Good question!

Have to take a census, another Covid Lockdown project.

• Upvote 1

Lol! :greenthumb:

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

14 minutes ago, James760 said:

Lol! :greenthumb:

Share your census!

In the high desert? I'm dying of curiosity!

Am at 35. I should be at 50 but the end of spring, hopefully. But I cheat by counting varieties :D ex: I have 4 "different" Sabal Minors that are included in that 35. Sabal Minor Tamaulipas,  Blountstown dwarf,  Chipola dwarf & Southern California Minor? 

13 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Well, I have a Dypsis lute already.

I want to put in some New Caledonians.

Good choice DD.