IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Marojejya darianii

Max974

Beautiful palm! Mine gets a little tattered in the breeze, I wish it would hold the entire leaf longer. That reminds me, it needs a trim! Thank you for posting your photo.

• Like 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

On 25/04/2020 at 20:26, Kim said:

Magnifique palmier! Le mien devient un peu en lambeaux dans la brise, je souhaite qu'il tienne la feuille entière plus longtemps. Cela me rappelle, il a besoin d'une garniture! Merci d'avoir posté votre photo.

Hello Kim, this nice palm tree will soon make us flowers, here is the spate!

49816929481_82a37549ae_z.jpg20200425_151139 by Pâquerette19, sur Flickr

• Like 6

Thanks for posting a picture of your beautiful palm tree I tried one of these it did okay for about 2 years then a hot Santa Ana winds session burnt it to a brown potato chip and it was toast. Even though I tried to keep the humidity up. Tough grow here. I know of one growing in pt.loma that is doing ok .anyone else trying this palm in a less than perfect location?

Sure. How many have tried in S. Florida? It's the perfect less than perfect location to kill M. darianii! I don't think that any survive here in the ground. Maybe up by Orlando?

Après la coupe...

1F6E83A0-C2A3-4BC7-BA0D-A46FDAD86229.thumb.jpeg.07b16a6c392048cd11791d16def72cf1.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Holy Cow Kim! Now that’s impressive. It’s really put on some growth in the last few years.

Hope you’re enjoying the ‘extended’ time in your garden.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

29 minutes ago, realarch said:

Holy Cow Kim! Now that’s impressive. It’s really put on some growth in the last few years.

Hope you’re enjoying the ‘extended’ time in your garden.

Tim

Thanks Tim! Nearly 2 months here,  and enjoying every minute. But time to leave soon. Flight has been cancelled & rebooked a few times, most recently this morning! This time it looks like I'll make it back to San Diego. Maybe see you & Bob this summer.

Kim Cyr

5 minutes ago, Kim said:

Thanks Tim! Nearly 2 months here,  and enjoying every minute. But time to leave soon. Flight has been cancelled & rebooked a few times, most recently this morning! This time it looks like I'll make it back to San Diego. Maybe see you & Bob this summer.

I certainly hope so, something to look forward to.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Marojejya darianii, definitely one of my favorites! :) They are indeed very impressive when they get taller but I find them most attractive just before they begin to form a trunk. Here's one of mine (one of five) earlier this morning. (And Tim, yes, adding to Kim's comment, most definitely looking forward to seeing you and Bob and hopefully within the next couple of months. :) )

Bo-Göran

DSC_0280.JPG

• Like 7

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

9 hours ago, bgl said:

Marojejya darianii, certainement l'un de mes favoris! :) Ils sont en effet très impressionnants lorsqu'ils deviennent plus grands mais je les trouve plus attrayants juste avant qu'ils ne commencent à former un tronc. Voici l'un des miens (l'un des cinq) plus tôt ce matin. (Et Tim, oui, ajoutant au commentaire de Kim, très certainement impatient de vous voir, Bob et nous espérons dans les deux prochains mois.  :))

Bo-Göran

DSC_0280.JPG

Very beautiful too!

Mine are still babies and I love looking at what they might turn into!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

I tried to grow these over the years, one died due to a lack of water, the other to much water during one of our cold winters. Very expensive to keep trying so now off the wanted list. I wonder if anyone south of Queensland has been successful with these. 

I agree they look best before they trunk, if only.

Love the photo's 

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Ok. You made me research your palm. von the first pic, it's wunderbar!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Ok. How can I acquire one?

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 2 months later...

Max, your photos are terrific! Mahalo for posting. 

I’ll snap a photo of the one here in the garden and post soon, it’s becoming quite imposing.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hope its ok if I add some pictures of this one at Lyon Arboretum, Oahu. even though it isn't from my garden.  Gotta be one of my

favorite palms there, and have only seen this color once. The old sheaths were rotten and underneath was this beautiful color. Has anyone

ever seen this color on a M. darianii before??

aloha

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, realarch said:

Max, tes photos sont géniales! Mahalo pour avoir posté. 

Je vais prendre une photo de celle ici dans le jardin et poster bientôt, ça devient assez imposant.

Tim

Thank you tim, I can't wait to see your photos.

6 hours ago, colin Peters said:

J'espère que ça va si j'ajoute quelques photos de celui-ci à l'arboretum de Lyon, Oahu. même si ce n'est pas de mon jardin. Je dois être l'un de mes

paumes préférées là-bas, et n'ont vu cette couleur qu'une seule fois. Les vieilles gaines étaient pourries et sous cette belle couleur. Est-ce que quelqu'un

jamais vu cette couleur sur un M. darianii avant ??

aloha

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Very beautiful specimen!

Here are a few photos of the M. darianii in the garden. Here ya go Max. 

The first photo is just after planting back in 2009. The rest are current. The garden lopper is for scale.

Tim 

2009.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_E5575.jpg

• Like 5

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow, spectacular looking palm!

Thank you everyone for sharing those great images!

best regards 

Lars

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Voici quelques photos de M. darianii dans le jardin. Ça y est Max. 

La première photo est juste après la plantation en 2009. Les autres sont à jour. Le lopper de jardin est à l'échelle.

Tim 

2009.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_E5575.jpg

Magnificent, majestic !!!