IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this a Sago or another cycad?

Palmfarmer

I know it is not a palm, but i would greatly appriciate if someone could help me with this one. Is this a normal sago palm or is it another Cycad the looks allmost identical, but i forgotton the name of. here is photos. 

IMG_20200422_225820548.jpg

IMG_20200423_200500023.jpg

There are a number of species within the genus Cycas, but it does indeed look like Cycas revoluta, or common sago. One that’s in the process of flushing; a happy looking one at that!

• Like 2

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

32 minutes ago, quaman58 said:

There are a number of species within the genus Cycas, but it does indeed look like Cycas revoluta, or common sago. One that’s in the process of flushing; a happy looking one at that!

Flushing? changing fronds? 

6 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Flushing? changing fronds? 

The term "flushing" is used when the plant is throwing a new set of leaves.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As Jim mentioned, the reason for the term "flushing" on Cycads is that more often than not, multiple fronds emerge at the same time. On palms, it's normally one at a time..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

1 hour ago, quaman58 said:

As Jim mentioned, the reason for the term "flushing" on Cycads is that more often than not, multiple fronds emerge at the same time. On palms, it's normally one at a time..

Ok thanks for clearing that up

I dont think they have a schedule either. I have 2 sagos and they flush at different times. Usually within 2 months of each other though. I have found sagos to have straighter fronds than whats in the pic. Mine were way to close to the house so the fronds are tilted away from where the house was. They have been moved, one out into the yard and the other is in a 6.5 gallon pot (the only one i had on hand).

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

35 minutes ago, JLM said:

I dont think they have a schedule either. I have 2 sagos and they flush at different times. Usually within 2 months of each other though. I have found sagos to have straighter fronds than whats in the pic. Mine were way to close to the house so the fronds are tilted away from where the house was. They have been moved, one out into the yard and the other is in a 6.5 gallon pot (the only one i had on hand).

yes this one got its fronds really upright compared to others i have seen and that is the reason i asked. Wish i could plant mine in the ground but my neighboor got a dog. 

• Like 1

Ive got 4 dogs but they dont go out into the front yard. The one in the pot is in the dogs' domain but its kept up and away from them.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

i see, there is no fence between me and my neighboors yard, i basicly live in a square that is quite big with 3 houses on it with walls all around but only me and my neighboors house is inhabited.  So what cycad do you think i have?

I would think common sago, just a weird looking one for sure!

On 4/24/2020 at 10:02 PM, Palmfarmer said:

I know it is not a palm, but i would greatly appriciate if someone could help me with this one. Is this a normal sago palm or is it another Cycad the looks allmost identical, but i forgotton the name of. here is photos. 

IMG_20200422_225820548.jpg

IMG_20200423_200500023.jpg

Definitely Cycas, but I'm not in agreement with 100% Cycas revoluta.  Perhaps a hybrid of revoluta and another.  Cycas thouarsii and the other rumphii type Cycas will have the longer leaflets that yours exhibits.  Yours has the glossy leaflet look of C revoluta but thouarsii and many rumphii type Cycas will hold their leaflets more erect.  Definitely Cycas.  Perhaps you can take a close up of the leaflets on a leave.  That may distinguish it a little more.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

23 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Definitely Cycas, but I'm not in agreement with 100% Cycas revoluta.  Perhaps a hybrid of revoluta and another.  Cycas thouarsii and the other rumphii type Cycas will have the longer leaflets that yours exhibits.  Yours has the glossy leaflet look of C revoluta but thouarsii and many rumphii type Cycas will hold their leaflets more erect.  Definitely Cycas.  Perhaps you can take a close up of the leaflets on a leave.  That may distinguish it a little more.

Cool information thanks! is this good enough?

IMG_20200425_233439927.jpg

On 4/25/2020 at 11:07 PM, Palmfarmer said:

Cool information thanks! is this good enough?

So what is tricky is that the lower leaves in your first photo appear to be more rigid, and a bit of upward V as the leaflets come off the rachis, pretty typical of Cycas revoluta while the newer flush did not.   It could be that the flush of new leaves is still pushing out still and haven't hardened to their adult shape.  The other reason I'm reluctant now on saying it isn't C revoluta is  the shape of the leaflets and glossy appearance which definitely looks like revoluta.  The leaves and leaflets can be more lax and stretched in shade resulting in my initial confusion but wait and see as the new flush of leaves hardens off at maturity.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tracy said:

So what is tricky is that the lower leaves in your first photo appear to be more rigid, and a bit of upward V as the leaflets come off the rachis, pretty typical of Cycas revoluta while the newer flush did not.   It could be that the flush of new leaves is still pushing out still and haven't hardened to their adult shape.  The other reason I'm reluctant now on saying it isn't C revoluta is  the shape of the leaflets and glossy appearance which definitely looks like revoluta.  The leaves and leaflets can be more lax and stretched in shade resulting in my initial confusion but wait and see as the new flush of leaves hardens off at maturity.

here is some recent photos as of today. 

IMG_20200522_154207484.jpg

IMG_20200522_154223079.jpg

IMG_20200522_154154479.jpg

IMG_20200522_154137761_HDR.jpg

12 hours ago, Palmfarmer said:

Here is some recent photos as of today.

The leaflets look like Cycas revoluta, aka a sago "palm".