IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Journal of Syagrus romanzoffiana var. 'Litoralis' in 8a.

Dartolution

It was predicted to be 27 last night, however it got down to 23 with winds. 

Tonight is predicted to be 25. We will see how cold it gets. Thankfully, its not windy.

I didn't bother to peak in, and won't for several weeks. 

Hopefully the wrap will be just the right amount of breathable vs heat holding. 

I do have another slightly more robust queen that I pulled into the house while we have this cold front move through. 
She's my backup. haha.

Fingers crossed.

31 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

It was predicted to be 27 last night, however it got down to 23 with winds. 

Tonight is predicted to be 25. We will see how cold it gets. Thankfully, its not windy.

I didn't bother to peak in, and won't for several weeks. 

Hopefully the wrap will be just the right amount of breathable vs heat holding. 

I do have another slightly more robust queen that I pulled into the house while we have this cold front move through. 
She's my backup. haha.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck.  I wrap all my palms with lights on the very inside ( I use mini's so they don't burn) and use a thermocube.  I don't think the lights will heat on the outside much.  The trick is to heat a insulated air layer.  C7 and C9's can burn the green tissue if touching.  I need luck getting my mule thru this winter too!

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

@Allen Thats what I am worried about. I almost grabbed some mini's but chose not to because I had the C9's.

I was afraid of wrapping in the minis, then putting frost cloth and burlap over it because I didn't want to start a fire. Maybe Im being paranoid?

It ended up getting down to 23 again in the yard, and 26 on the patio. 

Hopefully it made it, but time will tell.

If not, I still have the backup, and I won't bother to palm another queen. 

At the rate my mule palm is growing I either need to buy another house, or sell it and get another one. I did not anticipate it doubling in a single growing season. It was so scraggly when I got it compared to now. 

@Dartolution i got my fingers crossed for you man but it looks like you've got some solid protection plans in place. my yard saw 33 last night and I left my queens exposed. I think I may wrap them if we're forecasted to see 25 or lower but will likely let them be otherwise.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@Allen 

I was afraid of wrapping in the minis, then putting frost cloth and burlap over it because I didn't want to start a fire. Maybe Im being paranoid?

Think about it, Minis are designed to go on inside Christmas trees where they wrap them with dainty ribbons, etc.  mini's won't catch anything on fire unless it's damaged and had a short.   Really not something I'd worry about outside.   But they can overheat a palm without that thermocube.   C9's put out far more heat per bulb but get hot enough to burn a palm.  C9's are 7 watts and mini's are .4 watts so it takes 17.5 minis to be the same but the mini's disperse heat evenly around a palm and won't burn if they touch.  C9's are ok for hanging in a enclosure where they are away from a palm and mini's can be wrapped directly around a palm.  On my 10' mule I just wrapped I put in 2 strands of 100 minis for 80 watts.  I'm just going to wrap my mule for the cold events which seem to be 4-5 here each year under 20F.  I ran a pole up the middle, ran a string of minis up that and one strand around trunk/spear with a 35 thermocube.  Then wrapped up palm and covered with a breathable cover.   If it gets below 10F I'm going to slip a sleeping bag over entire thing.  

23 hours ago, Dartolution said:

t ended up getting down to 23 again in the yard, and 26 on the patio. 

I think you palm is probably ok with that setup in those temps.  

mule cover.jpg

mule.jpg

Edited by Allen
  • Like 5

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

@Allen Thanks for that explanation, I really hadn't considered it like that! OFF TO LOWES I GO! haha. 

*just what I need, another excuse to go to LOWES... grumbles*

Anywho, Thats a good setup that you've got there as well. Hopefully it being surrounded by stone and brick that will provide a little extra radiant heat. 

Great experiment Shawn!  I'll be following your success, I'm always impressed with how fast queens can grow.  I don't think you're being too paranoid about fire.  Someone in my neighborhood had a lovely California Fan Palm (possibly a filifera-leaning filibuta) that they wrapped every year with burlap and C9 lights. One day I went to my friend's house who lived on the same street and it was all toast. The palm was probably about 10-12 foot of clear trunk and the entire thing burned and even singed the house!  Such a shame and a near tragedy for that family.

Take care!

• Like 1

@ChrisA Thanks, I owe my inspiration and natural curiosity to see if I can grow one here and to what size to @SEVA after seeing that queen all the way in Va. haha 

Im well aware it won't survive long term, its mostly just a fun experiment to see what I can get away with. 

Plus, while it lasts, its pretty nice to have a queen palm in the backyard. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dartolution said:

@ChrisA Thanks, I owe my inspiration and natural curiosity to see if I can grow one here and to what size to @SEVA after seeing that queen all the way in Va. haha 

Im well aware it won't survive long term, its mostly just a fun experiment to see what I can get away with. 

Same with my mule.  It's death awaits one year soon.

3 hours ago, Dartolution said:

I agree, it's fun to experiment, and you get to enjoy the time you have with it! It's a win-win in my opinion as well.  You could be in zone 10A and plant something that just dies during the summer for any number of reasons. It's a crap-shoot with anything and there aren't any guarantees so best to live for the moment!

• Like 1

Well, my curiosity got the better of me, and today I decided to take a peak and see how the queen did after Monday and Tuesday night at 23F, Wednesday night at 27F, and Thursday at 30F. 

Thankfully, So far, I can't see any apparent cold damage. So I think the C9's, heat coil at the bottom, a double layer of 2.5oz Dewitt Frost Cloth, and a double layer of burlap protected it. 

SyagrusLitoralis105DEC2020.thumb.jpg.ae91db5766f36e3587359e5a2917dbab.jpg

That being said, after seeing what @Allen said about the mini's, I trotted off to the store, and picked up a 300 light strand for $9 (not LED's), and re-wrapped the queen with 150 of them. 

SyagrusLitoralis205DEC2020.thumb.jpg.365863eb10d7344b31476ed74565beff.jpg

SyagrusLitoralis305DEC2020.thumb.jpg.a5952d1f0f4c3a642f200053e66666b3.jpg

SyagrusLitoralis405DEC2020.thumb.jpg.259c74ab38cab548a387e1210710e970.jpg

I wrapped the mini's on the inside fairly close together, then applied the double layer of frost cloth, and burlap at the end. 

I also decided to use the 35F Thermacube I have, and placed it at the bottom of the palm.

Because of how small it is, there really isn't a good way to put the thermacube inside the wrapping.

Because I've used breathable fabric, I hope that it will prevent it from getting too hot inside while temps are cold.

What do you guys think?

We have 2 upcoming nights (monday and tuesday) predicted at 28 and 32, and while that is within the range of tolerance for the queen, it'll give me a chance to assess how well this works. 

12 hours ago, Dartolution said:

Well, my curiosity got the better of me, and today I decided to take a peak and see how the queen did after Monday and Tuesday night at 23F, Wednesday night at 27F, and Thursday at 30F. 

Thankfully, So far, I can't see any apparent cold damage. So I think the C9's, heat coil at the bottom, a double layer of 2.5oz Dewitt Frost Cloth, and a double layer of burlap protected it. 

SyagrusLitoralis105DEC2020.thumb.jpg.ae91db5766f36e3587359e5a2917dbab.jpg

That being said, after seeing what @Allen said about the mini's, I trotted off to the store, and picked up a 300 light strand for $9 (not LED's), and re-wrapped the queen with 150 of them. 

SyagrusLitoralis205DEC2020.thumb.jpg.365863eb10d7344b31476ed74565beff.jpg

SyagrusLitoralis305DEC2020.thumb.jpg.a5952d1f0f4c3a642f200053e66666b3.jpg

SyagrusLitoralis405DEC2020.thumb.jpg.259c74ab38cab548a387e1210710e970.jpg

I wrapped the mini's on the inside fairly close together, then applied the double layer of frost cloth, and burlap at the end. 

I also decided to use the 35F Thermacube I have, and placed it at the bottom of the palm.

Because of how small it is, there really isn't a good way to put the thermacube inside the wrapping.

Because I've used breathable fabric, I hope that it will prevent it from getting too hot inside while temps are cold.

What do you guys think?

We have 2 upcoming nights (monday and tuesday) predicted at 28 and 32, and while that is within the range of tolerance for the queen, it'll give me a chance to assess how well this works. 

Looks fine except the thermocube should be inside the wrapping.  But the breathable fabric is key for sure.   You can put one of those temp sensors in there to see how it's going as well.  

• Like 1

Going back down into the 20's again (forecasted to be 28, we will see in the morning, its already 30). 

So, there she glows... 

SyagrusLitoralis107DEC2020.thumb.jpg.030bf5cc0ea80a5444fb3963a23df7d1.jpg

At least I know the thermacube is working hahahaha

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 9:58 PM, Dartolution said:

Going back down into the 20's again (forecasted to be 28, we will see in the morning, its already 30). 

So, there she glows... 

SyagrusLitoralis107DEC2020.thumb.jpg.030bf5cc0ea80a5444fb3963a23df7d1.jpg

At least I know the thermacube is working hahahaha

just say its a xmas decoration and no one will call the HOA on you

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 months later...

Well, She made it.... 

HAHA! Around the end of December I uncovered the queen since we had such a warm mild winter until February. 

When February rolled around we had 36hrs below freezing, and a low of 16F, so the wraps went back up.

After uncovering, most of the fronds were pretty fried with the exception of the spear, and one emerging. 

However, during the uncovered period, this queen saw a low of 25F with freezing fog with little damage, and low's in the mid/upper 20's a handful of times. 

Lets see what happens this year. 

QueenPalm126FEB2021.thumb.jpg.3a015752419060f9e3dd872c77f6dc61.jpgQueenPalm226FEB2021.thumb.jpg.60ebbe56d2ecd44081103d784df636dc.jpg

• Like 6

looks good for 8a :greenthumb:

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

• 2 months later...

Slow to emerge, but growing. 

Interestingly enough, the new fronds appear to be coming out quite compact. 
Has anyone noticed this before? 

The spacing between each leaflet is very close as compared to both the older growth, and my potted queen. 

Here are some images of today:

SyagrusLitoralisYard129MAY2021.thumb.jpg.b6819ecbe78ca4fff9097a591a71460a.jpg

SyagrusLitoralisYard229MAY2021.thumb.jpg.fe65237801212be2ede87fff92816ff0.jpg

SyagrusLitoralisYard329MAY2021.thumb.jpg.9a19ea51955b9605e14c3eedde0bfc1e.jpg

SyagrusLitoralisYard429MAY2021.thumb.jpg.56b1719ae6bdbd575379187403e2a567.jpg

And the potted queen as a comparison. 

This queen was inside maybe a total of 4 weeks this year intermittently throughout the winter months when temps were unfavorable. 

It has been out since late February I believe and seen frosts without major damage. 

Here is it today:

SilverQueenPot129MAY2021.thumb.jpg.141539d5592c0d713c9fb9b8a46fac25.jpg

SilverQueenPot229MAY2021.thumb.jpg.7935712f1f37497e2301604d16b49d74.jpg

SilverQueenPot329MAY2021.thumb.jpg.05bc88c09cb84644410d8794c9290a2b.jpg

Any thoughts on the compact fronds???

I'd love to know everyones opinions on that. 

• Like 1

No idea on the fronds but it looks like it's doing great!  I've killed plenty of palms here in NE Florida trying to grow what shouldn't here.  I have a couple now as well that I plopped in strategically hoping that they'll survive.  Had a mild winter so I didn't do anything to protect them....

Awesome growth out of your potted one! Your in ground will take off soon.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa