IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

T fortunei var Nova - when you plant

RyManUtah

Long story short, I received some seeds from a batch of “nova” from a trusted friend in Vancouver. The seeds were very old, and gifted to me instead of being discarded. I got one to germinate this winter.  

being my narrowest spot by the driveway, this is where I want to plant to nova. It will take up the least amount of space, trunk wise. 

Sunburned, but now fairly acclimated to the sun. Any chance this seedling could be planted out now, like a young Washingtonia?
my thinking is it will get the best growth in the ground. 

Would it be best to wait for palmate foliage before planting? Newest spear is green in full sun, and has grown since moving outdoors. 

97587A6D-E5BF-4872-9C1D-65888A790318.thumb.jpeg.eafa87244d6aee694868c2c7cb25fc9f.jpeg

D4210589-8449-4281-9CB1-F0F38F441E6A.thumb.jpeg.b09a0fe53f9738f03da85fe5abc7d661.jpeg

D4210589-8449-4281-9CB1-F0F38F441E6A.thumb.jpeg.b09a0fe53f9738f03da85fe5abc7d661.jpeg

516B2C33-74DC-4752-AC12-F50BADCDC9A2.jpeg

That one doesn't look too great with the fronds.  I always want my planted out Trachy here in 7a to be pretty good size before I plant.  Honestly I'd keep it in a pot for a couple more years but I know how tempting it is to plant your 'baby'.  Get that baby some shade!!!!!!

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

17 minutes ago, Rasta Rob said:

What is the soil mix?

About 1/3 top dressing with organic matter. 1/3 native soil (which is red sand and a clay mixture). The remaining third is garden soil, vermiculite, perlite, and various sized organic matter, all about equal. 

1 hour ago, Allen said:

That one doesn't look too great with the fronds.  I always want my planted out Trachy here in 7a to be pretty good size before I plant.  Honestly I'd keep it in a pot for a couple more years but I know how tempting it is to plant your 'baby'.  Get that baby some shade!!!!!!

I can get it some shade. I was just hoping to acclimate it to it’s new home sooner than later. It’s so tempting to jump the gun for sure! 

No issues here with straps being planted out but we don’t have the same sun intensity as you do.  They laugh at the winters here. 

• Like 1

I would hold off planting it at least until it has several large, healthy strap leaves esp. if you don't have backup seedlings. It looks to be clinging to life so the stress of planting it may push it into oblivion.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Does look as if it is clinging to life currently.   It needs some time to recover from the sunburn before it gets stressed again.  Like the others I would hold off planting and coddle that for a while to let it recover and beef up.   Good luck. :greenthumb: