Palm Tree lover

My Fishtail palm is dying?

Palm Tree lover

Hello,

I got a fishtail palm but haven't transplanted it into a pot until recently. I noticed after a week of not transplanting it from its original container it started to die with brown leaves forming everywhere. I transplanted it into a bigger pot with only two healthy fronds remaining. My fishtail palm is a clumping palm. I also have cut all the dead dried leaves around the palm. It sits next to an east facing window receiving direct to indirect sun everyday and gets watered once a week. Does it have potential for new growth coming back now that all the dead leaves are cut?

Thanks!

PalmatierMeg

Photos please?

Palm Tree lover

Hi PalmatierMeg,

This is a photo of my fishtail palm. BBBE61EF-FC4E-47F4-A798-504FEB0690EE.thumb.jpeg.6498ce3caa66e0ae87863bfb42f3961d.jpeg

gtsteve

From what I can see, you have one all that you can. Without knowing what actually caused it to start dying in the first place.

Unless there is still something wrong with the roots, I think that it's chances look good. 

PalmatierMeg

Did its problems start after you transplanted it into a new pot? Are you also saying you have since re-transplanted it into a larger pot? 

1. What are you using as a potting mix? Does it drain very well?

2. Two transplants = double the stress and the final pot may be too large - palms don't like to be overpotted

3. Water according to need, not to a schedule. Once a week may be too often or too little depending on conditions. Water when top 1" of potting mix is dry. Never let pot sit in standing water or let soil mix stay soggy.

4. Did you recently put the palm into direct sunlight? Be aware that sun shining through a window can burn leaves not adapted to full sun. A sheer curtain can shield a palm from the sun's ferocity.

Palm Tree lover

Hello,

The palm began deteriorating after a week of being in its original container maybe because it was sun burnt by the sun the first week or I didn't transplant it right away into a bigger pot? The soil is a loose potting mix that is well-draining. I only transplanted my fishtail palm once. My other plants do well in that window without the curtains blocking the sun. Will the other suckers and fishtail palms survive besides the few with the green fronds? If so, how long would it take for the whole palm to spring back to life?

Thanks!